Opening Old Scars

A Star in the Making

Amber woke up feeling numb. She looked around at the overly white room, wondering where she was. The last thing she remembered was… Her brother showing up. She thought she had heard Kai and her cousin, but she couldn’t be sure.

She slowly pushed herself up and finally noticed the person sitting in the chair beside her bed with a bottle in her hand. “Umma?”

The woman stirred and opened her eyes, noticing Amber. “So, you’re awake?”

Amber gulped and flinched as she heard the slur in her umma’s words. “Umma, you’re not allowed to drink in a hospital. How’d you get that past security?”

Mrs. Choi stood up viciously. “What, now you worry about what I’m doing, you little ? You left, why are you back in Korea, hmm? Think you can change your life? Think you can get away from me that easily, ?” Mrs. Choi grabbed her daughter by her hair and pulled her out of the bed and onto the cold floor.

“Umma, please!” Amber begged, crying.

“Quit begging, . You’ve missed out on your punishment for the past two years, it’s time to catch up.” Mrs. Choi started kicking Amber in her stomach, her ribs, her back, wherever she could make contact. Amber could only cry and yell for help, but none came.

After one last kick, Mrs. Choi took a swig from her bottle and left the hospital room, leaving her daughter on the floor crying.