Shocked

A Star in the Making

“So you’ve been doing well in your vocal lessons for the past week, but you need to start taking dance lessons also. Your first session is today. The company hired a new trainer and you’ll be with him. Also, concerning your previous check-up, your weigh-in had you at almost 110 pounds, so you’ll want to keep that weight until debut. If you go over, then we’ll have to put you in a special sports class to help you lose the weight, understand?”

Amber nodded, her eyes growing wide as she listened to Dongmin. He was driving her to the company building to continue her training.

“You’re lucky Minho offered you the spare bedroom in the SHINee dorm, otherwise we would have had to find other arrangements. He made the argument that staying with your umma wouldn’t be very good for your health?” He looked through the rearview mirror at Amber, who avoided his gaze. She could only nod and hide her face behind her hair.

Dongmin sighed. “You know you can trust me, right?”

Amber nodded again.

“Well, whenever you’re ready to talk, I’ll be here.” They pulled in front of the S.M. building. “Alright, you’ll meet your dance instructor on the second floor in dance studio E. Right afterwards you’ll go to your vocal lesson in studio C as usual. I need to go to some meetings, so if I’m not here to pick you up by 11 tonight, catch a ride with one of the SHINee members.”

Amber nodded and smiled at her manager then got out of the car quickly. She looked up at the large building, took a deep breath, and then walked in alone.

Glancing around the lobby, she noticed a group of familiar faces heading to the elevators.

“Kris-ssi, Kai-ssi,” she called and ran to catch up to the group of boys.

“Amber-ssi, hey,” Kai smiled down at her.

“Hey, what about us? We’re a part of Exo too, you know,” Baekhyun pouted. Amber laughed at his childishness.

“Sorry, guys, but that really doesn’t mean a lot to me. I don’t even know who y’all are.” She smiled sheepishly.

“So, you’re saying you have never heard of Exo before actually meeting us?” Tao questioned. Amber nodded. “How is that even possible? Are you sure you’re Korean?”

Amber laughed and tried to explain. “I lived in the United States for the past few years, so I’m really behind on all the new bands that have debuted these past two years. I only came back because of Minho and my…” Amber trailed off and suddenly looked uncomfortable.

The boys looked confused as they noticed her sudden change in personality.

“And your what?” Suho questioned, not fully grasping that Amber didn’t want to continue the conversation.

Kai saw the tears pool in her eyes as she avoided the eyes of all the boys and wrung her hands together.

“Um, Amber-ssi, we were just heading up to the second floor to practice our dances. Would you like to come watch?”

Amber glanced at him gratefully before she answered. “Ah, actually, I have my own schedule to get to. My first dance lesson actually.”

“Well then we can all go up together,” he suggested excitedly.

Amber heard a sigh of frustration and impatience and looked towards the back of the group. She spotted Luhan with his arms crossed, looking bored as usual. Amber would have liked to talk with the boys longer, but the look Luhan was giving her was sending shivers down her spine, and she decided at that moment that it would be best to avoid the blonde boy.

“Erm, thanks, Kai-ssi, but I promised Minho oppa I would see him first. I should go find him now. See you later!” And Amber turned and walked away from the boys towards the stairwells. Might as well get warmed up now, she thought as she started up the flight.

When she reached the second floor, she easily found the dance studio Dongmin had told her to go to. She peeked inside, hoping to get a good look at her instructor before she had to officially meet him, but was instead greeted by an empty room. She walked in and dropped her bag on the ground.

Looking around, Amber noticed a boom box on the ground. She figured her instructor would be a little late, so she decided to warm up on her own. Grabbing her phone out of her bag, she plugged it into the machine and Hyuna’s Bubble Pop and got into position, beginning the dance.

Amber became so concentrated on the dance that she didn’t notice somebody had stepped into the room and was now watching her.

As soon as the dance ended, the stranger clapped, startling amber and causing her to lose her balance and fall onto the floor. She quickly stood up and dusted off her pants, then turned to greet the mysterious person. As their eyes met, Amber’s breath caught.

“Daniel?”

The male smiled and stepped forward with his arms open, but as he stepped forward, Amber quickly stepped back, refusing him.

“Daniel, what are you doing here?” Amber could tell she sounded scared, but she didn’t care. Not while HE was here.

Daniel smiled. “Shouldn’t you be happy to see your big brother, Amber? It’s been what? Nine years? You must be 18 already, right?”

“I’m 19, you .” Amber spat at him, finally finding the fight in her.

“Oh, come on little sis, is that any way to treat your own flesh and blood?”

Amber narrowed her eyes. “You lost all right to call me your family when you practically killed appa, and then left.”

Daniel laughed and stepped forward again. “I didn’t kill our beloved appa. You seem to not be able to remember what really happened very well. You had run off that night, don’t you remember?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Oh, but I think you do, Amber. You had run off, and dear appa chased after you. It was your fault he ran into the middle of the street after you. And it was your fault that he was hit by that truck. Killed on impact, from following you. Such a tragedy.”

“No! It’s not true!” Amber could feel the tears pouring down her cheeks as she pressed her hands against her ears, attempting to block out her brother’s words.

“Well, that’s enough chit chat for today. I’ll see you tomorrow for our lesson.” Amber looked up in confusion, still crying. “Oh, didn’t I tell you? I’m your dance instructor. Now don’t be late tomorrow, or else I really will give you something to cry about.” And with one last sneer, Daniel Choi stepped out of the studio.

Amber fell to her knees and let the tears fall. Sobs racked her body as her brother’s words hit her. She didn’t know how long she stayed like that, but after a while, she heard the door opening, and laughs were cut short as the group of twelve boys saw Amber on the floor, broken.

Kai ran forward and grabbed Amber by the shoulder’s, shaking her lightly, trying to get her attention. But Amber couldn’t respond to anything. She felt empty, broken. Useless.

Most of the boys looked worried. Sehun was the first to snap out of the shock of seeing the crying girl. “Um, we should probably get her manager, and maybe Minho, too.”

Suho nodded and ran out of the room to SHINee’s practice room. Thankfully, it was on the same floor. He pushed the door open, catching the SHINee members in the middle of practicing their new dance.

“Hyung, it’s Amber. Something’s wrong.”

Minho didn’t hesitate as he pushed Suho aside and ran towards the room where his cousin was.

When he reached the door, he saw Amber on her knees, staring at nothing as tears fell down her cheeks. Kai was standing behind her with his hands around her, holding her up.

Minho walked slowly to Amber and kneeled in front of her, wiping away her tears with his thumb. He saw how dull her eyes looked, how unfocused they were. She wouldn’t respond to anything or anyone. Minho sighed.

“Kris, call her manager and tell him to meet us at the hospital.” All of a sudden, he pulled Amber into his arms and started for the hallway.

“Are you sure we should move her?” Kai asked worriedly.

Minho nodded. “She’s in shock. Something must have really shaken her up. She’s done this before. The only thing we can do is take her to the hospital and then wait.”

The members of Exo looked as if they wanted to question him further, but they let him go, following closely behind. Minho glanced behind him and noticed his tails and sighed. “You guys should just go and practice. I’ve got her. Don’t worry.”

They nodded and left, but Kai stayed behind, watching their retreating figures until they disappeared into the elevator.