The Virulent Song

A Star in the Making

“Wake up, Amber. We need to get to the studio.” Dongmin yelled, pounding on her bedroom door.

Amber groaned, turning over in her bed, yelling back for 5 more minutes. He knocked again. When Dongmin heard no movement, he sighed and pulled out his phone, dialing Minho’s number.

“Yobeoseyo?”

“Annyeong, Minho-ssi, sorry for waking you but I don’t know how to get Amber out of bed. She’s not moving.”

Minho chuckled over the phone. “Tell her you have food. That’ll get her out of bed.”

Dongmin hung up the phone and knocked on Amber’s bedroom door again. “Amber, if you get out of bed, I have food for you.”

He waited and suddenly heard a loud thud. He quickly opened the door and noticed Amber sitting up on the floor. “Did you say food?” She asked, wide awake.

Dongmin sighed. “Get showered and dressed. We’ll get food on the way to the studio.”

Amber nodded and stood up. She walked to her closet and opened it, stepping inside.

“Be sure you can move easily in whatever you’re dressed in, and bring heels.” Dongmin called. Amber sighed and hung her head. “I hate heels,” she muttered to herself.

After choosing a blue racer back tank top and spandex shorts, she walked outside her bedroom and to her bathroom, where she showered and dressed. She straightened here hair and applied a bit of mascara and eyeliner to her eyes before walking out into the living room with her back that had a change of clothes, a pair of heels, her iPhone, and secret snacks she had stashed in her room to hide from Dongmin.

“Ready?” He asked as he tossed a banana in her direction.

She nodded as she caught the fruit. “This is all I get?”

Dongmin nodded. “Your debut is in 3 months, which means you need to be at the top of your game at all times. The company is keeping you an absolute secret until the last minute. In preparation for your debut, however, you’ll need to keep in top shape, which includes watching your weight.”

Amber sighed and peeled her banana, biting into it spitefully. I’m going to starve before debut. At least I have my snacks, she thought to herself.

“Oh, and when we get to the studio, I’m going to need you to give me those snacks that are stuffed into your bag.”

Amber groaned as she followed Dongmin out of the dorm and into the hallway, stopping so he could lock the front door.

“Alright, let’s go.”

The two rode the elevator in a comfortable silence. When they reached the bottom, they stepped out and walked out into the brightness of the day. A van was waiting on the curb. Amber saw movement from inside the tinted windows and looked questioningly at her manager.

“Ah, I forgot to tell you. For the most part, we’ll be sharing one of EXO’s vans, at least until you debut and we get our own transportation.” Amber nodded and walked towards the van.

She opened the door and saw Luhan, Xiumin, Lay and Chen laughing and talking.

“Annyeong, oppadeul.” Amber smiled as she stepped into the van, taking a seat beside Chen. They replied cheerfully, except for Luhan, who simply looked in her direction and shot her a small smile.

The ride to the studio was mostly quiet. Chen and Xiumin were talking to each other while Luhan and Lay were speaking in Chinese. From the looks of Luhan’s hand gestures and exasperated looks in Amber’s direction, she assumed that they were probably talking about her. Amber sighed and put her headphones on and her music to what little KPop she had.  Big Bang’s Love Song was playing and Amber watched outside the window, quietly singing to herself.

She had apparently nodded off, because Chen was soon shaking her awake. “Amber, we’re at the studio.”

Amber opened her eyes and took her headphones off. “Oh, thank you oppa.” He smiled at her and turned to Xiumin.

Amber grabbed her bag and opened the van door, stepping out into the sunlight. She followed Dongmin inside with the 4 EXO members trailing closely behind.

“Alright, Amber, we’ll be meeting in Recording Room 3. That’s the one with a big 3 on the door.” Dongmin jokingly shoved her shoulder. Amber laughed.

“I think I can handle that much, oppa.”

Dongmin laughed. “Arasso, I’ll be in shortly.”

Amber nodded and started walking down the hallway until she noticed another presence beside her. She looked to her right and noticed Luhan trailing behind her.

“Oh, Luhan-ssi, is something wrong?” She noted the hurt look when she said his name, but let it pass.

“No, I’m in the recording room next to you, Recording Room 4.” He said blankly.

Amber nodded and turned. “Oh.” They began walking again in silence.

When the two reached Recording Room 3, Luhan stopped and turned to Amber. “Listen, Amber…”

She looked at him expectantly, her hand on the doorknob. “Ne?”

Luhan hesitated, looking at Amber. “It’s nothing. Good luck in there.” He turned and walked the opposite way of the next recording room and instead headed back to the lobby where Xiumin, Lay, and Chen waited outside a different recording room.

“That was weird.” Amber sighed as she turned back to the door. She took a deep breath and opened the door, stepping outside.

When she looked up, she saw Lee Soo-man standing there with the owner of YG Entertainment, Teddy Riley, and Big Bang.

Amber’s eyes went wide as she backed up to the door.

“Oh my gosh, I am so sorry. I didn’t know this room was occupied. My manager told me to come to this studio, I am sorry for the inconvenience. I’ll leave now.” Amber was so startled she didn’t realize she had been speaking in English. The group looked at her with amused expressions.

“Ani, Amber, you’re in the right room. I’d like to introduce you to Yang Hyunsuk-ssi, the owner of YG Entertainment, Teddy Riley, their top producer, and Big Bang.”

Amber stared at her boss.

“Um, annyeonghasaeyo, Amber Choi ibnida. Nice to meet you.” She said quietly, bowing deeply.

“Amber, your debut album will be a full length album, not just a mini album. I’ve enlisted the help of YG, who has agreed to let Teddy produce your album. Some of your songs will also be featuring members of Big Bang. You are extremely lucky. This is our first joint project with such a large company.”

“Are you serious? Like, for real?” Amber asked, switching to English again accidently.

G-Dragon smiled and replied back in English. “Completely. Hi, I’m G-Dragon, but you can just call me Jiyong or Ji. This is TOP/Seunghyun, Taeyang/Youngbae, Daesung, and Seungri. We’re happy to be working with you.”

Amber could only nod as she listened to Jiyong introduce his bandmates in accented English.

Amber felt the door hitting her lightly in the back, waking her up from her shock.

“Ah, Amber, seems like you’ve met your team.” Dongmin said as he stepped into the room with Luhan trailing him.

“Yea, my team,” she mumbled.

“Well, we’ll let you get to work. Dongmin-ssi, if you would follow YG and me, we’ll sort out some paperwork and prepare Amber’s schedule.”

Dongmin, YG, and Soo-man left the room, leaving Luhan standing Amber as she stared at Big Bang and Teddy.

“Alright. Let’s get down to business. Amber, you can just call me Oppa T. We’ll be spending quite some time together. If you’ll come have a seat here, we’ll talk through your album and get to know everyone.” Amber moved over to the seat beside Teddy and sat down. Big Bang sat on the couch by the wall which left Luhan standing by the door.

“Oh, Luhan-ssi, can I help you with anything?” Teddy asked the awkward man.

He shook his head and gulped. “Ani, I’m just supposed to stay here with Amber.”

Teddy nodded. “Alright, then just introduce yourself to the guys and talk to them while Amber, Ji, and I talk through this stuff.”

Luhan nodded and walked to the couch, where he began a conversation with Youngbae.

“Alright, sweetheart. Teddy and I have worked on this and listened to your vocal lessons, so we think that this album will really fit your voice. Your title song, which you will be promoting the most and ultimately debuting with, is called The Virulent Song.

Teddy pressed a button and Amber listened to the instrumental and Teddy singing along. He handed her the sheet music and she looked it over, smiling. “I love it.”

Jiyong smiled and nodded. “Good. I’ll be doing the rap part for you. The other song that you’ll be promoting alongside this one is called U & I. This one is a solo.”

Again, Amber looked over the sheet music as Teddy sang along so she could hear how it was supposed to sound. Amber bobbed her head and smiled, enjoying the song.

Once the song was over, she looked up at Teddy and Jiyong. “If this is how the first two songs sound, I am so psyched for the rest of this album.” She said excitedly.

Ji and Teddy smiled back. “You should be. They’ve been working on it nonstop. You’re their new little project.” Youngbae piped up. Jiyong scowled and threw his hat at him. “Shut it, Bae.” Youngbae smiled and turned back to Luhan.

“Alright, we need to get to work immediately because not only will this be your debut album, but we will also be releasing this album 3 different times.” Jiyong said seriously.

“3 times? But how can we do that?” Amber asked, confused.

“This is where Luhan comes in, I suppose.” Teddy began. Luhan turned his head and began listening when he heard his name called. “All the songs will be the same, except that the album will be released in 3 different languages. The first time in Korean, and then simultaneously in English and Mandarin. That means triple the work, plus learning another language on top of that.”

Amber leaned back in her seat, exasperated. She placed all of the sheet music on her face and groaned loudly, her limbs flailing around, much to the amusement of the other occupants of the room.

“All of us will be here from 5 a.m. sharp to midnight for the next week or two getting all of these songs recorded and memorized. It’ll be tough, but I think we can pull it off.” Teddy said to the whole room seriously.

Amber sat up. “What about my vocal, dance, and acting lessons? And what about Luhan’s schedule?”

Teddy shrugged. “We’ll be your coaches. Daesung, Ji, and I will be your vocal coaches, Youngbae and Seungri will choreograph and teach you your dances, and Seunghyun will help you with acting and variety until further notice. We are your coaches. Don’t worry about that. As for you, Luhan, I assume that the only schedule you’ll have will be concerts and being here. But you’ll be featured in one of the songs, so it’s not a total waste being here.”

Luhan nodded.

“Alright then, let’s get right to work. Sweetheart, get into that booth. We’re cracking down now.”


A/N: Umm, I have no clue how Big Bang got in this story... Awkward. I feel like such a tired failure right now. WHAT IS HAPPENING?!? Anyways, the song that Amber will be singing is The Virulent Song by Rumble Fish. Listen to it and use your imagination.