Practice, Practice, Practice

A Star in the Making

Amber sighed as she groaned and leaned her head back.

 

“I can’t get the mandarin on this part, and it’s the last thing we need before we’re done with recording everything,” she pouted, frustrated with herself after the hours she had spent practicing with Luhan.

 

“Let’s just take a break, and we can come back to it once we’ve done a little mixing, Amber. It’s okay,” Teddy spoke through the intercom, his voice ringing through the headphones we wore.

 

Amber sighed and took them off, placing them on the music stand before stepping out of the small booth. She sighed and sat down on the couch next to Luhan.

 

“I don’t know why I can’t get the wording on this stupid line,” she groaned.

 

Luhan laughed and looked up from the papers he held to her. “You’re thinking about it too much,” he said. “You got this line perfect, even with the tones, during our practice sessions. Just close your eyes and forget your singing it, and just pretend it’s just the two of us, like before.”

 

She nodded and stood back up, heading back towards the booth.

 

Luhan watched her go behind the glass and place he headphones over her ears, giving a nod to Teddy to continue.

 

He started the music at the proper cue and Luhan watched as she closed her eyes and started singing.

 

Luhan sighed and looked back down at his papers.

 

“You’ve got it bad, dude,” Jiyong chuckled as he turned his chair from the mixing board to look at Luhan.

 

Luhan looked up with wide eyes. “I don’t know what you mean,” he stuttered out quickly.

 

Jiyong gave him a knowing look and turned back towards the glass that Amber stood behind. She had her eyes closed as she bobbed her head to the music, her sultry voice floating through the small recording studio. Luhan stared at her as she opened her eyes and gave him a quick smile when she knew she had nailed the line that had given her so much trouble. She finished up and looked at Teddy expectantly.

 

“Awesome, I think we’ve got everything we need. Awesome job, sweetheart.”

 

She smiled brightly and ran out of the room and towards Luhan.

 

“I did it! Did you see?”

 

He smiled and chuckled, patting her head affectionately. “I told you that you had it down. It sounded great.”

 

She smiled up at him and stood. “Thank you so much for everything, oppa. I’ve got to get to the dance studio for practice. Everything is finally coming together!”

 

She said bye to Teddy and Jiyong as they continued to work on the album and walked out the door, with Luhan trailing behind her closely.

 

“So, what do you have on the schedule for today?” She asked Luhan as he walked her to the elevator.

 

“Mm, just standard group rehearsal and vocal lessons. Nothing much. We have a repackaged album coming out with a new single right around the time you debut, so we’re getting ready for that.”

 

Amber looked at him.

 

“Oh, so we’ll be promoting together, then,” she said excitedly. “At least I won’t be alone at the music shows,” she said happily with a smile on her face.

 

They reached the dance floor and Amber stopped in front of her studio that she would be practicing in that day.

 

“Well, good luck on your rehearsals, oppa! I’ll see you later,” she waved a she walked through the door. She bowed to her new instructor a she set down her bag and tied up her hair and changed into her heels.

 

“Annyeong, Rino-ssi,” she said happily as she started her stretching. The Japanese woman smiled happily as she bowed slightly back, wearing a crop top and yoga leggings that accentuated her abs and firm thigh muscles.

 

“Hello, Amber. Ready to get started?” Amber nodded as she got into place.

 

Rino started the music and took her place in the front of the room, watching Amber and her backup dancers with eyes like hawks.

 

As the song came to an end, Amber was breathing heavily. The title song was slow and sensual and was quite different to what she normally preferred to dance to, involving plenty of body waves and close up dancing with a few of the male backup dancers, which she was most definitely not accustomed to.

 

Rino pointed out a few mistakes and had her run through the main points of choreography a few more times before she was satisfied.

 

“Very good. Run through it a few more times before you head home for the day, Amber. You’re doing exceptional, and you’ll be great.”

 

Amber nodded, and she and the backup dancers bowed as the dance instructor left the room.

 

Amber’s manager went to the cd player, and pressed play, signaling it was time to get back to practice. After another 2 hours of run-throughs through the song, he nodded.

 

Most of the backup dancers left except for Amber and her lead male dancer, Taeyong, another trainee.

 

Amber looked at him nervously. “Um, do you think we could run it through a few more times? I’m still having trouble getting comfortable enough on a few of the couple parts.”

 

Taeyong looked at her and smiled, nodding. “Of course, I’m done with schedules after this, so as long as you need. This is your debut after all.”

 

Amber smiled gratefully and grabbed the remote for the cd player and getting into position for the beginning of the song, pressing play.

 

They got about halfway through the song when he ran over and pressed pause. She looked at him questioningly as he walked back over to where she was.

 

“Right here, this is where you get a little awkward with your moves.”

 

The move in question involved her running her body down his and lying on her back as she pushed herself through his legs and back up, her front against his back as she ran her hand down his chest.

 

“Well yeah, I mean, it’s a little more intimate than I’m used to, much less being on stage and in front of cameras for the whole country to see.”

 

He smiled and shook his head. “You can’t think of it like that. It’s like acting. When you get on stage, you’re not Amber. You are an amazing, y dancer who has no fear and can perform this in your sleep. Now let’s try it again, without the music.”

 

She nodded and closed her eyes, putting herself in the proper mindset. Taeyong started counting, and she opened her eyes, performing the move. She had executed it perfectly, and jumped up and down, wrapping her arms around Taeyong in a quick hug.

 

“Thank you so much! It looks amazing!” He smiled and stepped away from her, shaking his head.

 

“See? I knew you could do it. Now let’s try a few more times just until it comes second nature for you.”

 

They ran through the same move a few more times before she heard a strangled cry.

 

“Yah, what are you doing? This is too y for my dongsaeng!”

 

She turned around quickly to see SHINee standing by the door, with a few members of EXO trailing behind.

 

Minho was wide eyed and blushing, a look of anger in his face, while the other members of SHINee blushed and averted their eyes, covering smiles with their hands. Luhan, Kai, Kris, Xiumin and Chanyeol were staring wide eyed at Amber with a bright red blush across all of their faces and goofy smiles on their faces.

 

Amber breathed in deeply as she walked over and paused the soundtrack. She looked at Minho with a glare and bowed quickly to Taeyong before grabbing her bag.

 

“Thanks for all of your help, Taeyong. I’ll see you tomorrow for practice?”

 

He nodded and smiled, quickly walking out of the studio and avoiding the glares of all the older group members.

 

Amber huffed and walked towards the men standing in the doorway. She gave Minho a quick slap on his arm and puffed her cheeks up. “It’s for my debut, oppa. It’s nothing. Besides, what are you all doing here?”

 

Taemin brightened up and wrapped an arm around her. “We’re going out for dinner in celebration of you finishing the album. It was Jonghyun Hyung’s idea, so we invited a few of the EXO guys since we know you’ve gotten pretty close with them as well. Now come on, food!” He squealed excitedly and ran out the door, causing everybody left behind to laugh and follow after the SHINee maknae, discussing what they wanted to eat.

 


 

A/N: Hellooooooo! Don't forget to upvote, subscribe, and let me know what y'all think of the story so far! ^^