Mixed Feelings

A Star in the Making

Amber stared back at Kai with wide eyes. It was just so sudden, and she was supposed to debut soon and pretty sure there was a dating ban on her contract.

 

“I mean, Kai, I’m flattered but I think I need to focus on my debut right now. And I think I’m not exactly allowed to date right now; I wouldn’t want to screw up my contract this close to making it.”

 

Kai smiled sadly and nodded. “Arasso, I understand. I get it. Maybe in the future? Once you’re more established, maybe we can give it a try?”

 

Amber shuffled her feet and looked down. “Um, maybe. We’ll have to see, Kai. I’m sorry.”

 

Kai grabbed her hands and looked her in the eyes before giving her a quick peck on the forehead. “Don’t worry about it, beautiful. We’ll figure this out later. Don’t take too long.”

 

He let go of her hands and walked past her down the stairs, back towards the dorms.

 

Amber sighed and backed into the wall, staring up at the ceiling. Was she doing the right thing? She knew she definitely needed to focus on her career right now, and she wasn’t quite sure about her feelings and knew she shouldn’t jump into anything. She sighed and shook her head and continued up the stairs.

 

She opened the door to the roof and stepped out into the hot summer air. Amber looked around and spotted a familiar figure leaning over the side. She walked over to him and stood next to him, crossing her arms on the brick wall as they looked out over the Seoul skyline.

 

“The guys were worried about you,” Amber said without looking over.

 

Luhan glanced over at her and sighed. “I’ve got some things I’m trying to sort out right now. There’s a lot going on in my head.”

 

Amber smiled at him. “You know, if you ever want to talk it out with a friend, I’m here for you. I know we haven’t talked about it, but I really would like to be friends with you, Luhan.”

 

“I just have a few problems I’m trying to work out. I have two friends who both want the same thing, and one of the friends backed off because he wanted to, you know, be a good friend, but then he came off as cold and distant, which he didn’t want to.”

 

Amber smiled to herself knowingly. “Well, I would tell your friend that he shouldn’t give up on his own happiness just because he wants to be a good friend. It’s okay to be a little selfish sometimes. You have to let relationships grow and nurture the way they’re meant to naturally; you can’t just force yourself out of one or push someone in a different direction because you think it’s the best solution for everybody.”

 

Luhan nodded and smiled at Amber. “Thanks, I think that will really help my friend with his problem.

 

Amber blushed and nodded smiling at the older man.

 

“Now how about I help you with one of your problems?” Luhan jokingly nudged Amber. She laughed and looked down at her hands.

 

“Not so much going on with me right now. I’m so busy getting ready for this debut that I barely have time for myself right now.”

 

Luhan nodded, knowing exactly how that was, and Amber had a much larger workload than they did, what with three different album releases, and no members to help share the load with or lean on when times got hard. She was in this alone.

 

“So, nothing going on between you and Kai, then?” He asked, looking away with a slight blush spreading up his neck to his ears and cheeks.

 

Amber coughed and looked away, blushing as well. “Um, he may or may not have confessed to me on the stairwell just now…”

 

“Oh…”

 

Amber smiled sadly. “I turned him down for now.”

 

“Oh?” Luhan looked over at her, surprise written all over his face.

 

Amber nodded and looked back out over the skyline, the wind whipping her hair over face. “Yea, I think it’s best I get used to being by myself for a while. Plus, I need to focus on this debut. Like I said before, not a lot of free time right now.”

 

Luhan hummed and looked at her.

 

“Well we’ll have to make some time soon to treat ourselves.”

 

Amber laughed out loud and gawked at him. “You want a girl’s day?”

 

Luhan flushed and chuckled. “Not necessarily, maybe just to help you relax. Your debut will go great and you need some time for yourself.”

 

Amber smiled and nodded. “Sounds like a plan then, friend.”