First Meeting

A Star in the Making

Amber Choi stepped off of the airplane and headed towards the baggage claim. She immediately noticed the large crowds of girls hugging the barriers around where she was walking through and aimed to steer clear of the edges of the walkway. Looking at the various signs and banners held up by the rabid fan girls, Amber drew the conclusion that there was yet another stereotypical boy band out. Apparently, their group name was Exo.

Right, another group of pretty faces and auto tune, Amber thought to herself.

As she reached the end of the hall where the fans were screaming and found where the bags were being distributed, Amber noticed a group of guys standing inconspicuously bundled in all types of scarves, hats and sunglasses. She shrugged off the strange looking men and continued searching for her bag.

As she set her sights on her plain black bag, she noticed another hand grab it. She recognized the hand as one of the guys from the strange group standing a few feet away.

“Um, excuse me, that’s my bag,” Amber said, not realizing she was still speaking in English. She noticed the blank stare as the man took his sunglasses and hat off, revealing blond hair and doe-like eyes. Amber’s breath caught at the sight of the feminine looking boy in front of her. The feminine boy who still had his hands on her bag.

Suddenly, one of the taller guys from the group came forward. He also had blonde hair that was cropped close on the sides of his head. He bent a bit lower and whispered something into the ear of the smaller blonde. He furrowed his brows and then shook his head, turning to look at the taller male and spouting out something quickly in what Amber assumed was Chinese.

The taller male seemed confused and turned back to Amber and in English, “He says he’s positive it’s his bag.”

Amber sighed, clearly exasperated. “Can’t he check the tags or something? It should say Amber Choi on the tag on the strap.”

The taller male nodded and translated for the other blonde. The smaller guy seemed annoyed at the request, but checked nonetheless. He put the bag on the ground and kneeled beside it, checking the tag. Amber noticed his ears turn a slight shade of pink as he let the tag drop. The boy stood and shoved the bag at her, clearly embarrassed. As soon as Amber grabbed her bag back from him, he turned and walked back to the group of guys who were now watching their interaction closely.

The male left behind chuckled and turned back to Amber. “Sorry about Luhan. He can be a pain sometimes. I’m Kris, by the way.” He held out his hand to her and Amber took it carefully.

When the boys noticed the two smiling awkwardly at each other, they gathered around Amber and the man who was named Kris, all except Luhan and a boy with chubby cheeks. The guy who ended up next to Kris glanced at Amber as if he was studying her and then turned to Kris and, in Korean, “She’s cute. Another fan?”

Amber rolled her eyes and cleared , gaining the attention of all the guys who stood around her. “I can speak Korean, you know. No sense in talking about me like I’m not here,” she responded to the dumbfounded guys, in Korean, of course.

Kris laughed at the expression on his friend’s face that had just asked about her.

“Amber, these are my friends Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Suho, Tao, Sehun, Lay, Chen, Kai, D.O, and that’s Xiumin back there with Luhan, who you’ve already met.” Kris introduced the guys, pointing to each in turn and going around the circle. Amber knew she would need a lot of help remembering all of their names. Yeah right, that’s if I ever see any of them again, she told herself. She smiled politely at the group.

“Nice to meet you, I’m Amber Choi.” The boys around her nodded seriously as if she had told them a very serious piece of information and not just her name.

“So, Amber-ssi, what are you doing here in Korea?” She assumed it was Suho asking.

“Oh, actually, I was called here by my cousin. He’s getting me a job, apparently, and he thought it would be good to see my mom again,” Amber trailed off, not wanting to share too many details about her personal life.

All the boys nodded seriously again.

After a moment of awkward silence and sly glances towards the girl in the middle of their circle, Kris cleared his throat. “Well, we should head out, guys. We need to get back to manager-hyung.” The boys bent down to grab their luggage and started putting back on their hats and sunglasses. Before leaving, one of the, she assumed it was Kai, turned back and smiled at her. “It was nice meeting you, Amber-ssi. Maybe we’ll be able to meet again soon. Good luck with your new job!”

Amber felt her cheeks color slightly at the sweet words. She then glanced over at Luhan and Xiumin and noticed the blonde man staring at her. She quickly ducked her head and grabbed her bag from beside her feet. She quickly turned and found her way to the exit and out into the bright sunlight.