Crossroads

Non Compos Mentis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

I checked the subscribers of this fic and some of my longtime readers are back!!! I'm so happy! :"> :">  Lalalalalala

So I'm dedicating this chapter to

chaefamri,

allyie,

X_panda_X,

momochan,

oneknight

and Eminem

 

I couldn't keep up with the names of my subbies, but I'll check the profiles one by one to familiarize myself! lol

 

 

WEDNESDAY

 

 

Chaerin swept a glance at the tall buildings of their Alma Mater and managed a smile. She would have loved to take her time to walk along the hallways of her junior years, the library which she missed so much or those secret snogging spots of their senior days. But now was just not the time to be nostalgic, it was time to move. She was still shaken by the clip delivered days ago and she could not afford to lose logic again. Lives were at stake.

 

 

 

The Korean National Police University stood pristinely under the heat of the midday sun. Nothing much has changed and the grounds still held that air of wishful freedom. Seunghyun and she walked the empty corridors of the fifth floor, heading towards the crime labs of the most secluded building of the campus.

 

 

 

She’d been doing her best avoiding his innuendos these past few days and she thinks the prick is finally picking up on things ‘cause he’d been more professional to her.

 

 

 

Mr. Kang was hesitant to accept the invitation as he did not wished to be disturbed, but a small amount of influence from Teddy Park did the magic.

 

 

 

His laboratory at the topmost floor seemed like an herb garden… in the Jurassic era, nothing was homey at all. It is small enough to be a greenhouse, but still can be mistaken for a little forest. The smell of fresh roots, boiled barks, fumed soils, and bottled ointments overwhelmed their senses that Seunghyun coughed loudly, ignoring the glare from Chaerin for being so disrespectful.

 

 

 

The spectacled Kang Daesung approached the pair amicably but stayed cautious. “Welcome to my crime lab Inspector Lee. It’s nice seeing you again in this university.”

 

 

 

Chaerin and Seunghyun bowed lightly before he continued, “I’ve never seen such an avid student as you before. How may I help you?”

 

 

 

Chaerin shook his hands and gestures a nod towards Seunghyun. “That’s my partner sir, Inspector Choi. He’s an alumnus of this university as well and we really need your help about a case.”

 

 

 

“Yes, I remember his lot a few years back, not the wisest of the herd.” Seunghyun snorted at this comment but held his tongue.

 

 

“Please sit down.” He gestured to a small nook at the corner of his laboratory, Chaerin sat, but Seunghyun still paced around, inspecting their surroundings.

 

 

 

“I know you’re an expert in castor beans Mr. Kang, initial findings pinpointed some properties of the said beans and we need you to verify it, so I’m bringing you this sample to inspect its properties closely.”

 

 

 

“Castor beans seems rather harmless to people don’t you think Miss Lee?” he smiled cryptically, “they’re just wild and beautiful plants, but can really be dangerous if swallowed by mistake. They aren’t really beans you see, but they’re highly poisonous. 500 micrograms is all you need.”

 

 

 

She nodded in understanding, “This was used against the victims, and your expertise is highly needed. Uhh--- we’re kind of running out of time.”

 

 

 

“Ricin poison can last up to three days. Were you able to save the victims?”

 

 

 

“No, they’re all dead now.”  Seunghyun replied coldly.

 

 

 

Mr. Kang wiped his forehead slowly, as beads of sweat rolled down his jawline. Whether it’s from the humidity, Chaerin didn’t know.

 

 

 

There was a prolonged silence as Mr. Kang held the vial with shaky hands. There’s nothing new there, any student who had worked closely with this professor knew he had always been a nervous guy.

 

 

 

“It would take me several days up to a week to determine this one.” He mumbled briefly,

 

 

 

“Hey, Inspector Choi, don’t touch that!” He scooted across the room and snatched the odd looking vial out of harm’s way. Chaerin mouthed a not so subtle ‘ you’ to the guy but he simply shrugged and continued his inspection.

 

 

 

“We need it the soonest, sir.” Chaerin urged, “Can you make it to three days at most?”

 

 

 

“I… I don’t know…” his eyebrows furrowed while returning to his desk, “but we’ll see.” He looked up again to see Seunghyun flipping a book. “Don’t scan things without my permission Inspector!”

 

 

 

Chaerin cleared to distract him and proceeded as if Seunghyun didn’t exist. “If it would help you, I think these castor beans were genetically modified, speeding up the poison’s maximum effect to minutes.”

 

 

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter