Silenced

Non Compos Mentis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shortly after Chaerin and Seunghyun arrived in Chaerin’s flat, there was an urgent knocking on her door, revealing a much disheveled Jiyong. The moment he saw his best friend, he instantly enveloped her into a tight hug, kissing her cheek in the process, relieved to see her safe and whole.

 

 

 

“I was so worried the moment I received the news, so I rushed here to see if you were alright. I know this wasn’t part of your supposed job…” Chaerin smiled at his concern.

 

 

“Oh shut up, it was alright, I’m, umm, having coffee with Seunghyun now, care to join us?”

 

 

“Seunghyun? Choi Seunghyun? Inside your flat?” Chaerin nodded, curious at her friend’s bewildered expression, “Wow.”

 

 

 

He stepped inside and nearly flipped at the sight of Seunghyun sitting comfortably on one of Chaerin’s furniture, sipping Chaerin’s homemade coffee. Who would’ve thought this day would come?

 

 

 

“I’m sorry, did you say something?” Chaerin faced Jiyong again, and the latter just shook his head. “I’ll just grab you a cup of coffee.”

 

 

 

“Fine.” He continued to eye Seunghyun.

 

 

 

 

“Yes, I’m not some hologram Ji, I’m actually lounging inside Lee Chaerin’s living area. Stop gawking.” He stated matter of factly, as if reading his mind.

 

 

 

“Wanker…” Jiyong finally managed to say as he smirked, “so are you and Chaerin…” he gestured with a nod, “…okay?”

 

 

 

“Depends on your operational definition of okay.” He smirked evasively. Chaerin entered carrying freshly brewed coffee, which Jiyong gladly took, sipping it with much gusto. His best friend’s coffee is one of the best, next to his wife’s of course.

 

 

 

Chaerin was the first to speak again after Jiyong has settled, “We were just discussing about the latest victim, she was found near the alley of a brothel. It was named Heavenly Touch, I think…”

 

 

 

 

Jiyong choked on his coffee, accidentally spilling some on his jeans. He grimaced and blushed furiously, the boiling coffee searing through his throat. “Sorry. Hot.” He started coughing but gestured for them to continue.

 

 

 

Seunghyun made a face at his careless display but continued, “After the woman’s scream, I chased a man escaping the scene, and it turned out to be Mr. Kang Daesung. He narrowly escaped so I sent a warning shot, and he buckled down like a pissing child.”

 

 

 

“I was left with the woman as she…” Chaerin grimaced, “… as she was writhing to death. I think the substance was forced down Ji. Her lips were chipping away as she screamed.”  She hugged herself remembering the morbid memory while Seunghyun started to pat her back to soothe her tension.

 

 

 

Jiyong stood, pacing in front of them, “Tomorrow, we’ll interrogate Mr. Kang... Hyung, be hard on him, pressure him and taunt him, just to scare the out of the man. Chaerin, be his friend and aid him through so he’d tell you the truth.”

 

 

 

“Fair enough.” Seunghyun nodded.

 

 

 

“I have to go now, Bom and the kids are waiting for me. Thanks for the coffee Chae…”

 

 

 

 

Once Jiyong went out, Chaerin sensed the tension in the air rising up a bit at the realization that they’re once again alone. In her own apartment. Sitting closely together.

 

 

 

She found herself in another nerve wrecking situation, third row in one night. She sighed intern

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter