Down the Pedestal

Non Compos Mentis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 TUESDAY

 

 

“We’ve received an anonymous tip, madam.”

 

 

 

“Disregard it then.” Chaerin whirled her chair and found her face to face with Seunghyun. She scrunched her nose in distaste. “We’re not taking chances from strangers of this case. It might be a trap.”

 

 

 

 

Inspector Choi laughed mirthlessly, “And you really think we’d be that dumb to fall into one? That’s the reason why we investigate in the first place, ma'am.”

 

 

 

 

“What’s with the act?” she eyebrows furrowed. She’d been starting to get irked by his sudden change of attitude. He’d been calling her madam, ma’am, or worst, miss for the last three ing days.  The last one peeved her most ‘cause it made her feel like a pathetic, helpless damsel.

 

 

 

She can’t shake off the disappointment when he’s been treating her with a rigid attitude. Gone were the innuendos or the snarky comments, and it felt so wrong for her. She’d been itching to get at least a twitch on the face, a smirk, or even an insult, but there was none. Zero. Nada.

 

 

 

But didn’t she want this all along? Right? She’s officially losing her brilliant mind.

 

 

 

“What do you mean? I’m not acting, there was a tip from an ahjumma who refused to be questioned further, madam.”

 

 

 

“No, not that.”

 

 

 

“What’s what madam?” he pursed his lips carefully and innocently. Too innocent for her judgment, too blatant to be ignored.

 

 

 

“That – exactly that!” she could feel her blood boiling and her veins revolting, effectively making her cheeks flush. The man won’t just budge and it’s bothering her already.

 

 

 

 For three ing days. No, make that four days since your last car ride. Her mind offered.

 

 

 

“Well that’s putting things in perspective.” He replied cryptically. 

 

 

 

“I failed to see the point. So drop the act.” She scoffed, piling stacks of records she’d been reading for the last hour.

 

 

 

“I say we go for this. I’ll just carefully set everything up.” He stalked away.

 

 

 

“I have a lead on the case… might want to discuss it?” Chaerin stalled. “It struck me last Sunday and it’s on the works, might take a couple of days…”

 

 

 

“Maybe some other time madam, I’ll have to work on this.” He turned the knob of her door and began retreating again.

 

 

 

“Hey, Seunghyun---” She stood up, not entirely sure what to say or why she even called him in the first place. He raised his delicate eyebrow, waiting for her to speak up.

 

 

 

 “I said drop the act, what’s with you.” She crossed her arms, not entirely sure why she’s even concerned.

 

 

 

“There’s nothing to drop in the first place madam.”

 

 

 

“Stop calling me madam, goddamn it!” she finally snapped.

 

 

 

“What should I call you then? Seeing we need to keep things professional, madam is the best way to get around you. Have a good day ma’am.” He turned with a mock salute and hurried out of her sight.

 

 

 

 “Inspector Choi, we’re not done yet!!” she harrumphed but was ignored.

 

 

 

Chaerin stood on her spot, blinking several times before actually hearing the things he had said. By the time she’d process the conversation, she slumped down on her chair and she couldn’t shake the frustration that has wrapped around her.

 

 

 

Insufferable, egotistical, degrading bigot…

 

 

 

Now she was nowhere near her productive rhythm and the prick had dissolved her to a y creature within minutes. She could not rationalize why he’s suddenly acting so distant. She couldn’t even put a name to this emotion she’s feeling, but it made her caffeine intake rise at an alarming rate.

 

 

 

 

By the end of the day, Chaerin was one highly enraged, caffeine-charged demon from hell. Her usually tidy appearance dissipated into crumpled hems of her shirt for tugging it too much, hair in disarray for scraping it too often and a blotch of redness on her cheeks for controlling her infernal anger.

 

 

 

 The wanker, who’s a sorry excuse of a partner, has been constantly avoiding heated discussions, disregarding her suggestions and evading her questions. Simply put, he’d been working alone. This was supposed to be a paired job, for heaven’s sake. He was more elusive than the most wanted criminal on Earth.

 

 

 

 

“Will you talk to me! I won’t allow this treatment any longer.” She barged in his office with full force, slamming his door loudly and locking it to get his full and undivided attention, but the only reaction she got from him was a deadpan gaze. She hated his composure.

 

 

 

“I’m in the works of mapping out the surveillance this Saturday as the tip said, this is my field of expertise, and I believe I can carry this out well.” He stood straight, never giving out the tense excitement he’s feeling for what’s about to come this weekend.

 

 

 

 

“Why are you doing this?” Chaerin expressed her disbelief, her voice cracking with the effort of getting her together.

 

 

 

“It’s a lead. I’m working on mine, you work on yours, and we’ll see where we cross.” He nodded nonchalantly.

 

 

 

“This is bull!” Chaerin kicked the side of his sofa, a muffled thud echoed the space briefly.

 

 

 

“Why, because this wasn’t your idea? You really think the only good plans come from you? Tch, tch, your pride is laughable miss.” He scoffed and shook his head. Chaerin gripped the hem of her shirt again as she fought control. The guy has been mocking her ever since she’d known him, but this, this was going overboard.

 

 

 

“NO! You’re being a git and I want to be in!! Damn it! I hate being in the dark!!”

 

 

 

“This is a possibly dangerous operation madam, especially when the tip would be proven real. I suggest you keep yourself at bay.”

 

 

 

‘You’re deliberately leaving me out of the circle.” She whined, almost losing herself now.

 

 

 

“No, I’m actually just doing my work. I don’t want you to trip and taint your dainty shoes while running tonight, it might hinder the operations.”

 

 

 

“Are you accusing me of delaying the case? This is unfair!!” she announced in panic, arms already flying in the air with weird gestures.

 

 

 

“Well I’m here to prove my self-worth in this agency, don’t I? I’m working hard now, you should be proud.” He smirked in disdain, his eyes hardening in controlled and accusatory anger.

 

 

 

That fleeting moment, when she was graced with th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter