Muggles

Office Romance (?)

I like being comfy when I attend Philharmonic concerts. I know it makes me look out of place in a sea of patrons who dress crisply and elegantly. But I figured I already wear dresses and suit pants every day, so why not wear something more casual as I listen to Bach and Shostakovich and Debussy?

Perhaps a few years ago, Lay was mildly surprised. A few years later, into the now, though, he's just as casual, wearing a simple blue cardigan over a white shirt. I guess he learned to take it in stride. You know what else he takes in stride?

"Let us step into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure," I whispered to him excitedly as I wrapped my arm around his.

He shook his head, judging me even as he opened his car door. "I don't know why you waste precious brain space on Harry Potter quotes."

Okay, so maybe he needs a few more lessons on taking it in stride. "Stop being a hater." I buckled myself in.

"It's like collecting stamps. What do you do with all of those?" He held the back of my headrest as he reversed out of the parking space.

"I get to use them in special nights like these, no duh."

"You should be banned from doing that," he kept his eyes on the road as we merged into the traffic, smiling at the mention of ‘special nights.’ See, it’s the little things like these that make him smile.

"I think it's perfectly fine. Besides, it's called having a hobby."

"It's called having nothing better to do." He looked at me for a second and smirked.

I stuck my tongue out at him. "You're a hater."

He laughed. "Tell me something I don't know."

-

"Lay!" I called out from my office as I saw him pass through.

He stopped mid-step and turned back around.

"What's up?" He went in.

"I have something awesome for you," I wiggled my eyebrows at him before handing him a few folders. "I found more things for you to work on."

"Ugh." He threw his head back in frustration. "This is how you pay me back for last night?"

Sehun's head snapped up in attention. That was probably the first he's moved in an hour. Man, I forgot he was in the room, he was so quiet.

"Oh come on, Lay, lighten up," I said with exaggerated cheer. I enjoyed his company immensely, and as usual, Seoul Phil was amazing (especially the brass section.)

"You're robbing me of the little social life I still have left."

"So you finally admit to having no social life."

"I didn't say that."

"Aw, don't worry," I cooed. "When all this is over we'll be a proper family." I nodded at him, mock serious.

Lay just looked at me, completely missing the reference. I was used to that. But behind him, Sehun was suddenly chuckling.

"Sorry to interrupt the conversation, but you are awesome.” He gave me a thumbs-up and a bonus crescent smile.

"It's another Harry Potter reference, huh." He was not amused. "Not you too."

"Sirius Black, dude! It was such a touching scene in the story." Sehun said empathically. Lay facepalmed.

Did I just find a kindred spirit? "Thank you! Finally! Someone who understands me." I leaned over my desk to give him a high-five. I like this kid.

Lay just shook his head. "Call me when you guys can talk like normal people." He walked away.

"Muggles," Sehun scoffed. I squealed in delight.

"You and I, my dear friend, are going to get along really well. Stay in my office as long as you'd like."

-

So, I guess I felt like being nice today. Maybe it was because there was a cello solo yesterday. Or maybe it's because I had a newfound HP buddy. But I was in a good mood. No matter how much I resist, I'll have to work with him anyway, so might as well play nice.

"Hey!" I smiled across the room. That's probably my first genuine smile for him in a while.

"Hey." His voice made a low boom, his smile reaching his ears.

"Sorry about that last time," I set my things down on the conference table.

"No problem. We all have our off days." Okay. That still bothered me. Why's he acting like I'm the one that needs forgiving all the time? I mean, yeah, I was unprofessional, but that patronizing tone. Ugh. It frustrates me. I sighed. It’s a good day, I chanted in my head.

I nodded at him, sitting down. “From the looks of it we’re spending dinner here.”

“More like an all-nighter,” he laughed. “We’re swamped!”

I read an article once. They said that the strongest bonds are created in the workplace because people are forcibly brought together under pressured circumstances. Regardless of the break-up, I’m bonded to Chanyeol—he’s a colleague who works on the same projects with me. This wasn’t the first, and this won’t be the last.

I can’t help but smile at his words—one thing I could never hold against him is his optimism. Regardless of the extra hours he needs to work, the smile never leaves his face. For the next few hours, we worked separately, and we worked together, the two of us in the conference room.

“Hey, wanna go grab a quick bite? It’s getting pretty late.” Chanyeol closed some of the folders before stretching on the chair.

“Yeah. I’m actually getting pretty hungry.” I finished up the last slide on the presentation I was working on.

“I think your favorite pizza place is still open.” He smiled as we headed out of the room.

He still remembers.

“It’s usually open pretty late,” I smiled back.

“Do you like olives better now?” We stepped into the elevator.

“No,” I made a face. “It still tastes as awful as ever.”

“I don’t know what’s so bad about it,” he laughed, pressing the button that led us down.

“I don’t know why you don’t like mushrooms,” I returned.

He laughed. “Touché. You can’t blame me, though. The thought of eating fungi doesn’t exactly sit well with me.”

Laughing was suddenly a lot easier around him. Somehow, in between 1 and 8, I was starting to think maybe being friends wasn’t such a bad idea.

--

Phew. Finally an update! Hahaha sorry for making you guys wait so long.

As you can see, the formatting is starting to shape up as ficlets. I think it's better that way. Not sure yet. Tell me what y'all think.

Comment, as always. I love hearing from y'all. <3