Crescent Smiles

Office Romance (?)

There are about 542,899 things I’d rather be doing right now. But what do you know—life just isn’t fair. See, right when the lights and the boss dismissed us, I was already motioning for Lay to get his out of the seat and bolt with me.

“Shiyoung!” Just one more step and I would’ve been out of the conference room. “Can I talk to you for a second?” He started walking towards me, hands on his pockets.

Nope. You can’t. “Sure,” I shrugged my shoulders in an effort to look nonchalant. I felt Lay’s hand pat me on the back, a motion of sympathy.

He waited until everyone left the conference room before coming closer. I resisted the urge to take a step back.

“Can we…” he paused for dramatic effect. He must be doing something right, because the silence gave me enough space to over-think everything. Can we get back together? Can we start over? Can we forget the break-up ever happened?

“Can we go back to what we were before everything happened?” he shifted his weight.

Stupid. Of course that’s what he wanted to say.

“What do you say to that?” He looked at me with those stupidly hopeful puppy eyes.

What do you think, Chanyeol? Unlike you, I have a deeper emotional capacity than a five year-old. I don’t just move on and pretend like nothing happened.

“I mean, if we’re going to work on this project together, might as well get along, right?” He continued on like he didn’t just stab me.

“Right.” What else can I say? All the sarcasm somehow doesn’t make its way out of my mouth. They simmer and die down unsaid when I’m around him.

He beamed. “Great! Let’s shake on that.” He extended a hand. I wanted to slap it away. I wanted a lot of things, but somehow, nothing works out according to what I want.

I shook his hand, forcing a smile on my face. “Great.” Just great.

-

“You seem to be doing just fine on your own,” I smiled at him. His work was impeccable, and it seems like he just knew the ropes right away.

“No. I’d really appreciate all the instruction you give me.” His words would have sounded sincere if it weren’t for his expressionless face.

“I don’t mean any offense or anything, but you don’t smile much, do you?” I was genuinely curious. He’s so emotionless.

“I guess I don’t,” he continued with the same blank face. Man, if he wasn’t so handsome I would’ve smacked his face. Maybe that will get me a reaction.

“Alright, then.” All the new recruits were always so bubbly and enthusiastic and talkative—what’s up with this anomaly? I guess there’s always a first. “You’ve probably gone to business school in some prestigious university, so you don’t need me to babble on about things you already know.”

I stood up from my behind my desk and motioned him to follow me out the door. He unfolded himself from the chair and stood up next to me. Every move was so fluid; it seemed as if he was almost dancing.

I stopped myself from admiring his graceful steps. Something’s seriously wrong with my head. “Instead, what I like to show my trainees are the people who make up the firm. You’re going to be working with them, so it’s nice to know what makes them tick.”

He nodded, falling into step beside me.

“First stop, Zhang Yixing.” We were standing outside the office next to mine. “Everyone just calls him Lay, although I’m not sure where the nickname came from. He’s a pretty awesome guy, so if you’re stuck in a crisis, he could probably help you.” On cue, Lay looked up from what he was typing. I gave him a wave. He returned it with a wink.

“We’re sharing a secretary right now, because for some reason, Lay’s just up and left.”

I looked up to see a sudden smile tug his lips. I forgot to breathe for a second.

“Wow.”

He looked at me. “What?”

Did I just say that out loud? Man, that smile could light up a dark tunnel. “Nothing. Why did you smile all of a sudden?”

“Oh.” He looked like he wasn’t aware of what he did. “It’s just that when you said ‘Lay’s just up and left’ I got an image of a stray chip walking out the office doors.”

I started laughing, the same image forming in my head. “Oh my gosh, I’ve never…” I couldn’t stop laughing.

There it was again, that wonderful almost-smile. Behind Oh Sehun’s mask hides a quirky little boy. I guess I’ll just have to dig it out of him.

I composed my face before continuing. “Anyway, Lay’s—“ A giggle bubbled up my lips. “—and my secretary’s name is Shin Jiwon. She’s also pretty awesome. She knows the ins and outs of this firm, so she’s just as much help, if not more, as when you ask me. Right, Jiwon?” I smiled.

“I swear I don’t pay her to say that,” Jiwon smiled back.

I laughed at her. “You can start now.” I extended a palm, only to have it smacked away.

“Moving on.” I waved goodbye to my secretary. “That guy by the coffee machine’s Do Kyungsoo. He’s a bit too serious sometimes, but he’s the most organized guy I know. Has all the files you’ll need alphabetized and arranged according to the Dewey decimal system, if that were actually possible.”

Another smile made its way on his lips. Why does it feel like I score a point every time he does?

We went through the whole floor as I introduced him to everyone.

“And, last stop is Park Chanyeol.” My ex. The guy who thinks being friends right after a break-up is actually possible. “He’s arguably the best of this firm. He’s not that hard to approach because he has the ability to make everyone feel comfortable.” Too comfortable, actually.

I swallowed the sudden bitterness in my mouth. “That’s all there is.” We made our way back to my office.

“You’re missing someone,” Sehun stated matter-of-factly.

I furrowed my eyebrows. “I don’t think so. That’s everyone on the floor.”

“You. You haven’t talked about yourself yet.”

I laughed. It’s another first. No one’s ever asked about me before. “Huh. You’re right. Well… let’s see. My name’s Kim Shiyoung, and I give the new kids tours around the office.”

His eyes turned into crescents, a sudden eye-smile catching me off guard. “Alright.”

Before I knew what I was saying, it was out of my mouth. “You should smile more often.”

--

Heehee OMG the repackaged album's out!!!!!!!!!!!! GAH XOXO and Lucky are just perfect, I wanna hug them all from the perfection!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH my feels! ;_; Haha anyway, don't forget to comment, y'all. :)