Apple Juice

Office Romance (?)

"Should we go back to work?" I looked at his side profile.

"We're going to get written-up for being no-call, no-shows." His eye twitched in fear.

"Well, we're already an hour late. We'll be written-up either way."

"True. But shouldn't we still show up?"

"Yeollie, why can't you stop being rational for just a second?" I gave him a face. His nickname seemed more comfortable to say now.

"Sorry. I just don't want to lose my job, Young-young," he slipped into my nickname just as fast.

"They won't cut you off. You're one of the best here, remember? I don't think they can afford to."

He thought about it for a second. "You're right." He laughed that signature happy-virus laugh.

It was contagious. The thing about Chanyeol is, no matter what he's saying, you're not laughing because the punch line is funny—you're laughing because Chanyeol just makes you laugh. His whole being radiates that kind of silly laughter.

But I guess there were more things to laugh about now. Laughing was easier because there weren't questions hanging in the air anymore.

"So what do we do?"

"We go back to work."

"But I thought you just said..."

"I know. We're going back to work, but not just yet. Can we just walk around the area first?"

"Something's bothering you, huh?"

"Yeah."

"What were you thinking about in front of the office building earlier?"

"How stupid I am."

"You're not stupid," he automatically put in.

I gave him a look. "You haven't even heard the story yet."

"I'm not lying. Either way, you're not stupid."

I scoffed. "Okay."

We started walking aimlessly around Seoul's business district.

I cleared my throat. "So, whatever I say will stay confidential, alright?" I'm glad Chanyeol and I are on good terms now. I needed someone to talk to.

"Alright!" His ears perked up at the sound of confidential.

So I told him first about Sehun and the awkward almost-kiss-turned-into-hug farewell.

"I don't think he'll hold that against you. He probably thinks you just chickened out or something."

I glared at him, but I guess he's right.

"I mean, it really isn't a big deal,” he said by the way of explanation. “It's a first date. It's not weird not to kiss each other immediately. I didn't even kiss you until the third date."

"Yeah, I was wondering when you'd make the move," I laughed, immediately sidetracked.

"But enough about me," he quickly dodged, embarrassed. "I think the question really isn't 'Should I have let him kiss me?' I think what you should be asking is, 'Why did I hesitate?' Obviously, for a normal person, it isn't a big deal. But if you're hung up on it, then it must be an issue."

"See, I don't know how to answer that question."

"Let's try a different tactic: Would you give him a second date?"

"I don't see why not."

"But you don't see why, either."

"I—“

I haven't really thought about that. But why did it seem so true when Yeollie said it?

“But he’s nice, and he’s a gentleman. He’s hot, and he’s smart, and he’s basically perfect. I should want a second date.” I scrunched my nose.

“Who’s being too rational now?” He stuck a tongue out. “Should I return the favor and give you my own advice?”

“Sure.”

“You don’t choose who you fall in love with. Those ideal types you hold on so desperately to, they’re rough outlines of what you want. But that’s all in your head. And you don’t fall in love through your head now, do you? You fall in love through here.” He pointed at his heart. “Don’t force yourself to like him because you like the idea of him. If your heart isn’t saying anything, then maybe it just isn’t right.”

Wow. That’s the deepest thing Chanyeol’s ever told me.

“I think we both need that reminder,” he laughed. “And I need to start taking my own advice.”

“We all need love lessons,” I laughed with him. “But thanks, Yeollie. That really helped. Well, it helped with one of my problems.”

We were almost in the shopping district now, and I didn’t even notice. “You have one more? Should we just skip work altogether?”

Well, I haven’t exactly been a model citizen as of late. There’s tons of problems that need solving. I nodded. “Let’s go.”

“I’ll buy you brunch today,” I smiled.

“No, you won’t. I’ll pay.”

“Yeol, it’s the least I can do. I’m about to dump more crap your way.”

“How awful is the crap?” He raised an eyebrow.

I burst out laughing. “Yeol, crap is crap. It’s awful either way.”

“Good point. Buy me brunch.” He nodded as we entered a homey breakfast restaurant.

He ordered the house special—bacon and eggs—while I opted for a stack of pancakes.

“So, what’s the load of poop you’re talking about?”

“It’s Lay.”

That got his attention. “What’s wrong with Lay?”

“I don’t know either. I thought we were okay, but lately, he’s been having mood swings like no other. If he weren’t a guy I’d think he’s having PMS.”

“Huh. That’s weird.”

“I know, right?”

“Have you thought about when the mood swings occurred?”

“Um, well, last night.”

He motioned for me to continue.

“I usually ask him for advice about anything and everything. So I was asking him about Sehun, and suddenly, he just bursts. He tells me I’m too comfortable in his house. Like, what the heck was that for?”

“Was there another time?”

“Hm… well, I guess the last time I understand—remember that time when I accused him of being gay?”

“Oh.”

“Yeah.”

Chanyeol looked like something was brewing in the back of his mind.

“What?”

“What what?” He looked at me curiously.

“I know you’re thinking of something.”

“Why, yes. Yes, I am,” he gave me a sarcastic smirk.

I threw him a dirty look. “Spit it.”

“I don’t think it’s for me to say.”

“It’s your thoughts. Say it out loud.”

“Don’t you see a pattern? It’s not random mood swings.”

“What do you mean?”

“You’re taking jabs at his manliness, as unintentional as they are.”

“I was doing no such thing last night.”

“Yeah, yeah you were. You’re talking about boy problems with him, in his house no less.”

“But I’ve always done that before.”

He flinched. “I don’t want to think about what that means.”

“Yep. That means I talked about you too.”

“How much does he know?”

“Everything.”

“Oh, God.” He took a huge gulp of orange juice.

“Sorry,” I winced. “But it’s always been okay before. Suddenly it’s not anymore?”

“Don’t you see it?”

“See what?” I took a sip of my own apple juice.

“That he likes you.”

I spat out the juice all over Chanyeol’s face. “What?”

--

So, I guess Channie has a new role: the voice of reason. Haha this chapter has a lot of meat, I think, so idk. LOL Sorry if I'm suddenly moving the story along so quickly. I'm just trying to finish this baby up before I leave... Idk if it's going to work out, but I'm going to try my best. I hope the narrative direction doesn't suffer as a result. *crossing my fingers*

Maybe I should start renaming my chapters based on food...

I feel like I have something more to say in here, but I'm just completely drawing a blank right now.... so, I guess, just keep the comments coming. Hahaha

OMG What if... PLOT TWIST~! She doesn't end up with anyone. LOL