French Vanilla

Office Romance (?)

“What did I just do?” I wailed at the phone cradled between my shoulder and my ear.

“I don’t know. You tell me,” he calmly answered.

“Is it okay if I come over? I just need to get this off my chest.”

“It’s ten thirty. Why would you come over? We have work tomorrow.”

“I know. But this is sort of an emergency, and it’s better if it wasn’t over the phone.” I put on a cardigan over my tank top, not bothering to change out of my pajamas. Grabbing my car keys, I was already out of the house.

“What could the emergency be?” He sighed in defeat.

“You’ll know when I get there. You have French vanilla ice cream, right?”

“Yeah.”

“Cool. I’ll be there in ten.”

I drove like a contained madwoman, jumpy and fidgety in my seat whenever the darned stoplight decided to turn red. I drummed my fingers against the steering wheel as the scene repeated in my head like a movie reel. What did I just do?

I finally pulled up beside Lay’s car, quickly scrambling to ring the doorbell.

He opened the door, looking like he was getting ready for bed. Hair damp, he had on a wife beater and a pair of plaid pajamas slung low on his hips.

“Hey.” He stepped aside to let me in.

“Oh, look! We’re matching!” I pointed at my clothes and then waved my hand in his general direction.

“Is that your emergency?” He contorted his face in rebuke.

“No. I just thought I’d point it out.” I headed to the freezer to get the tub of ice cream. I took out two small bowls from the cabinet and started scooping away. This is like my second home.

“So what’s the problem that can’t be resolved over the phone?” He sat down on one of the bar stools, resting his head on the kitchen counter.

“Sehun and I went on a date.”

His head snapped back up in attention. “You what? With whom?”

“Sehun and I went on a date,” I repeated, handing him his bowl.

“But I thought co-workers were off-limits?” His face was a jumble of unreadable emotions. Since when did Lay’s expressions become so unreadable?

“I know, but I thought it couldn’t hurt.” I shrugged as I returned the tub back into the freezer.

“Says the girl who got her heart torn off just a few months ago,” he shook his head, angrily shoving a big spoonful of ice cream into his mouth.

“Wait, but just listen.” This was the Lay I’m used to—he’s defensive when it comes to me. “Everything’s been going so well. It was actually perfect—no awkwardness, no unease that comes with usual first dates. We went on a movie together, shared food, ate at an awesome ramen shop together. He was a perfect gentleman, coming on time, dropping me off and sending me to the door.”

“But…?” He heard the caveat in my voice.

“See, that’s the thing. I don’t know why I have a small voice inside of me that keeps saying that. It’s like something’s wrong with what we’re doing.”

“Maybe there is,” he mused.

“But there really isn’t.” I ate a bit of ice cream. “I’ve run it over and over in my mind. He treats me like a princess, and he’s thoughtful. He even kept my office prank in a Ziplock baggie—how thoughtful is that?”

“Very,” he took another mouthful of ice cream. He knows what I want to hear, always.

“See? It’s very thoughtful. I can’t actually imagine a better first date than what just happened. So why am I over-thinking everything?”

Lay stood up to put his empty bowl into the sink. “I don’t know.”

“But that isn’t everything yet. I haven’t told you the most important part: he tried to kiss me.”

“He WHAT?!” Lay rarely shouted. Whoa.

“I mean, that’s what people do on first dates—they gauge how well the date goes, then they decide whether to give the girl a kiss or not. What’s up with the reaction?”

He ignored me. “Did you let him?”

“I was about to.”

He glared at me.

“BUT,” I stopped for emphasis, matching his stare, “I couldn’t do it. That’s the problem. I hugged him instead.”

He let out a sigh. “I don’t think that’s much of a problem. Maybe the timing wasn’t right.”

“But, don’t you see? Sehun’s hot. He’s smart. He’s funny. He gets my references like nobody else can. He’s literally perfection walking on two legs. But why did I hesitate?”

“Is it because of Chanyeol?” He turned his face away.

“What?”

“Maybe you’re not over him yet.”

“I don’t know.”

“Look. I don’t have the answers for you, okay?” He looked at me, sudden fire in his eyes. “Actually, you know what? I’m tired of having to listen to your love woes. You always go to me crying about some bastard or another breaking your heart. And if you aren’t, then you’re talking about bastards who are too perfect for their own good. I don’t need that crap. I’m your best friend, but that doesn’t mean you can dump all your baggage on me.”

Wow. I’ve seen Lay angry before, but this was different.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” I said quietly, ice cream forgotten.

“Because I wanted to be the supportive best friend,” he let out a breath.

“And you have been. But I didn’t know I was suffocating you.”

He sighed. “You know what, forget what I said. It’s been a long day. We’re both tired.”

“No, let’s talk about this.” I felt guilty. He’s right—I’ve always used him as an outlet for my frustrations.

“There’s really nothing to talk about. I’m sorry I even said anything.” He walked over to the doorway, cuing my dismissal.

“Lay, don’t shut me out.” I crossed my arms. If there was anyone in the world I can’t stand being angry at me, it’s my best friend. “I don’t understand where all this anger is coming from.”

“I don’t want to talk about this right now.” He balled his hands into fists.

“I guess we’re at an impasse.” We can both be stubborn. I walked towards one of his cabinets, taking a spare blanket and a bed sheet. I started setting up a makeshift bed on his sofa.

“What are you doing?” He looked at me wearily.

“I’m not going to leave the house until you tell me what’s going on.”

“See, this.” He waved his arms at me. “Exactly this. You don’t even realize that you’re sleeping over in a man’s house, where he lives alone. Don’t you see?”

I shook my head. “I don’t. So what if I sleep over?” It’s Lay. What’s so wrong about that?

“You’re so comfortable in my space. Too comfortable.” He ran a hand through his hair.

I’m so confused. “But you used to be okay with this. We’re best friends.” I didn’t know why there’s suddenly a lump on my throat.

I don’t know why it looked like I just slapped him in the face. “Maybe we shouldn’t be anymore.”

“What?” I felt the wind get knocked off me. Where’s this coming from? I thought we were okay.

“Maybe we shouldn’t be best friends anymore.”

--

It's hard to cross the line between best friends and lovers... So, we're here. It's a crossroads for them. Lay isn't exactly being clear, either. Come on, buddy. You can do it. Haha As for Chanyeol, well... I'm going to look for a way to bring him back to the story. I know you haven't seen him in a while. I will bring him back, I promise.

I know school's already started for most American students. How are y'all doing? And for other readers, when does school start for y'all? I know some have already started months ago... but some are still on break. haha 

Oh! And back to titles. Okay, so my 'working title' has been my permanent title. I still don't like it. Come on--'Office Romance' is as cliche as it gets. But y'all are not giving me any suggestions. HELP ME. Hahaha I want to name it something else. Think of this as coming up with a fanclub name, except you're thinking of a fanfic title. LOL (omg I'm hopeless.)