~ Wave 01. ~ First Day of Work

Monsters: The Vortex

"Hana! You're hired!" Jin Young said as he threw her a red one-piece suit and a lifeguard tube.

"We have a uniform?!" She yelled back at her boss, holding up the red uniform with a bit of distaste.

"Yeah, Hana! I can't have you running around and sunbathing in a bikini!" He shouted as he ran off to the other side of the beach.

“Which side of the beach am I on?" She yelled at him, but he was out of hearing range.

"You're on the side with Whale Cave with me," One of the other lifeguards said, approaching her, "Hi, my name is Junho." He said, holding out his hand.

"Hana." She replied, giving his a good firm shake before letting go. "I need to change first and then I'll go with you." She said.

"Take your time." He pointed at the bathroom and Hana was in and out of there as quick as she could. She hated wearing one piece suits. They didn't allow as much freedom as bikinis did.

But she did recognize that it was easier to swim faster when she was wearing a one piece. She tossed her top and bottom in her bag, closing her locker and going back out to Junho.

"So Whale Cave?" She asked him.

"Yup, no one likes patrolling that side because there's always guys who don't care about their safety." Junho told her.

"Isn't Whale Cave where all the tourists go because of the crystals inside?" She said.

Junho looked at her knowingly, "Exactly. Tourists. But locals are show-offs too. It's dangerous to swim out to Whale Cave if you're not an experienced swimmer, but some people don't care." He replied, "And that's what makes this side frustrating."

"I see. That makes sense though. I'll try my best to make sure we don't run into problems." She said.

The two of them walked to the house on that side of the beach and there were already groups of tourists, lounging around in the sand and applying sunscreen on each other.

"So what is up with Whale Cave anyway? It's just a bunch of crystals." Hana asked, they sat in their house and kept their focus on the ocean as people walked past them to head towards the ocean.

“If you see it with the person you’re in love with, then you’ll marry them.” Junho told her, “At least that’s what the legend says. Because of how dangerous the swim is, if the two of you make the journey together then it means that your relationship is strong enough to overcome anything.” He said.

“That sounds like something for young girls to bug their boyfriends about.” Hana said. “Not really something guys would be into either.” 

“Yeah, well, it is told at the campfire every year by the counselors. I’m not even sure how it started.” Junho told her.

They sat in silence after that until Junho ran after a young kid that couldn’t put her feet down in the ocean while panicking. She found out she was tall enough later. But she didn’t have much of a job.

Every time Hana saw someone in distress, she would point it out, and by the time she grabbed her gear, Junho was already halfway there. So she decided that she would be lookout and he would be the lifeguard today.

Lunch hit and their replacements came by and Hana noticed that it was two really tall and buff guys. Junho smiled at them when they approached, "Don't neglect the beachgoers okay, Chansung?" He teased.

"Not like how you did this morning?" Chansung replied back, gesturing at Hana.

"She's not distracting at all, actually. Pretty quiet and helpful." Junho said, with a grin.

Hana stood there quietly as she saw the three of them interact. Junho finally remembered her and beckoned her over, "Come meet your other coworkers." He said. He pointed at the one she figured out to be Chansung since his name was mentioned, "This is Chansung and that's Taecyeon. You can just call them Chan and Taec." Junho told her.

She smiled at the both of them, "Hi, nice to meet you guys." She said.

Taecyeon and Chansung both smiled back at her before turning their attention to Junho, "Any word?" Taecyeon asked.

Junho shook his head, "No, I haven't seen him today either." He said lowly. Hana overheard it but she moved away, knowing it wasn't her place to eavesdrop.

"Have a nice lunch then, Junho." Taecyeon said a little too loudly as Junho ran over to Hana.

"Sorry about that, we just had some business matters to deal with." Junho said.

"Business? But aren't you all employees of Uncle Jin Young?" She asked back.

"We are but we do have a private matter that he is letting us handle by ourselves." Junho said very vaguely to her.

Hana looked at him confused for a moment, but decided to let it go, "What's for lunch?" She asked him.

"If I remember correctly, Jin Young hyung said we would have hot dogs." Junho answered her. 

"Really? He feeds you guys hot dogs?" Hana asked in disbelief.

"Yup, hot dog is usually the best though because he'll make his potato salad with it and it'll be chilled in the fridge and be super cold and nice." Junho salivated while thinking about it.

Hana smiled as she thought about her uncle's potato salad, it was his specialty, something he only made when he felt like it. "Let's go."

Junho grinned, "You know exactly what I'm talking about huh? Miss Boss's Niece." He said teasingly as they approached the lifeguard shack that had all their stuff.

"Yup, but I'm not going to spoil anything for you, since you keep a few secrets of your own." She told him as she walked inside.

She noticed other girls and a guy sitting inside around a table, with their food already. She grabbed a plate and put on two hot dogs and a big scoop of potato salad.

She sat at the table smiling, "So you're the new girl." The guy at the table said.

"Yup. Just started today." She said.

"How did you get hired so easily? The rest of us had a challenge to get in." He asked her.

"Uncle Jin Young said he needed extra workers so I volunteered." She answered, picking up a hot dog. She already put all her condiments on it and was ready to take a bite.

"Oh that's why." The guy said, "Family favorite."

"I'm actually not the favorite," she said unhappily, "Thanks for assuming though."

"Then why are you here?" He asked her.

"What's your name?" She replied back.

"Myungsoo. This is my girlfriend Ri Ah an at the end is our friend Asia." He said introducing everyone.

"Well, the reason why I'm here is because Uncle Jin Young needs help. That's it besides it's not like you get paid commission out here." Hana answered slyly. She was calculating on just how much she should reveal to these guys. 

She barely knew who they were and yet she had to trust them.

"You're right we don't. But you still deserve to do a challenge " Myungsoo told her sternly. Ri Ah slapped his hand down. 

"Fine, what, when and where?" She asked him.

"Swim to the Whale Cave and come back." Myungsoo dared her.

"No one will be doing that."


Author's Note;;
Omg guys. I finally got a chapter done. LOL. hurrayyy!! <3
I'll try to get this updated more frequently.. But I also have major Jaejoong feels right now. 
Anyone seen Backseat? UNNNNFFF <3
Anyway~ Enjoy! Let me know what you think ;)