~ Wave 12. ~ Nothing

Monsters: The Vortex

She stirred slightly and she felt a slight pressure on her hand and she looked down. Uncle Jin Young was on the other end, with his head resting on the bed. She tried to keep her movements as minimal as possible as she looked around to see her new surroundings.

The area was more whiter and sterile looking than any of the other cabins she had been in before. She looked to her right and saw an IV drip was attached to her arm. She had to be even more careful moving around now, with the needle in her veins.

She twisted slowly, trying to take her hand out from Uncle Jin Young’s without disturbing him. She didn’t want to really leave yet, but she really wanted to sit up, her bum was killing her. She itched slowly, moving to sit up, but Uncle Jin Young stirred and caught her in the middle propping up pillow so she could lay comfortably.

“Hi.” She muttered softly, trying to avoid an unnecessary eye contact in case he was going to yell at her.

“Do you have any idea how worried I’ve been?” He asked her sternly, rubbing his eyes open. “Do you have any idea how upset with you I am as well? There is a curfew for a reason.” He said.

Hana looked down at her hands and twiddled her thumbs, “I know you’re upset, Uncle.” She said meekly, “It wasn’t on purpose that I was out.”

“So it was on accident? What were you even doing out so late anyway?” He asked her, “What have you been up to?"

“Nothing." She answered quickly, "What time is it right now?" She asked.

Uncle Jin Young glared at her before turning to the clock, "It's 4pm, but it doesn't matter, you're staying in bed until you're well-rested." He told her sternly.

"I'm fine, Uncle. There's nothing wrong. I slept just now I'll be fine." She said assuringly. “I have something I have to do.” Hana insisted, trying to get up but with a stern glare from Uncle Jin Young, she laid back down.

“You will not be doing anything until tomorrow morning, young lady. For the rest of today, you’ll be resting. And that’s that. I’ll have one of the boys bring your dinner to you. So go back to sleep.” He told her and she nodded her head. “Good. Now I have to take care of some things, I’m happy you’re okay.” 

Hana watched as Uncle Jin Young left the room and she kicked her legs up restlessly in frustration. Now what was she going to do? She should have tried to sleep so she wouldn’t have ended up like this.

There was a soft knock on her door and she covered herself up with the blanket and laid down before they could enter. She looked up and saw that it was just Chansung with a small tray.

“Haven’t been sleeping?” He said teasingly, putting the tray of food in front of her and sitting in the chair next to the bed.

“I’ve been sleeping just fine. But I can see why you had long trips at night.” Hana said cryptically, taking a bite of potato salad. She knew her uncle had made some just for her because he was worried.

“So you met my friend then.” He replied, “Did he tell you anything?” 

“Not much. But I’m guessing you haven’t told your friends.” She mused, reading his facial expressions as it turned from sadness to worry.

“I don’t want them to know because they will get upset.” He said, “So don’t say anything.” He warned her.

“I’m not stupid. I was just curious as to why you haven’t told them.” She said, raising her voice at him for getting mad at her. “But it doesn’t matter. Anything happen today?” 

“Another girl went missing, but no one noticed.” Chansung said bluntly. “Ri Ah and Myungsoo had Whale Cave since you weren’t available and they don’t remember her at all."

Hana steeled herself to not reveal anything. She knew just as well that Chansung had been looking for the same answers she had and she wasn’t going to let him steal them from her. “Oh. I should get better and try to watch that side soon.” 

“You really don’t know anything?” He asked her, standing up.

“No I don’t. Maybe you should try find out for yourself.” She replied, looking away from him dismissively. Chansung got the message, and left her by herself. 

Now all she could do was wait.

~

Night fell and no one had come to check up on her, carefully removing the IV she climbed out the window and found a change of clothes to swim in. She made sure it was well past curfew this time and she saw that there was no one else around.

With that, she swam out. He was already waiting for her in the Cave, helping her climb up.

“You.” She said deliberately.

“Me.” He replied. She refused to sit down and they both continued standing tensely.

“I learned some things about your fairy tale. About the monsters, and love, and the spoiled princess.” She told him. “You left out a lot of things."

“I couldn’t tell you everything. But what do you know, perhaps I can answer your questions now?” He prodded, gesturing for her to say how she felt.

“Who is the girl, the lover? Not the spoiled princess but the lover? You could be the guy character that the mermaid princess steals away. But who’s the lover?” She repeated, pointing at him over and over again.

“I can’t say.” He answered. 

“You said you would answer my question.” 

“That’s one question I can’t answer for you. You need to figure that out for yourself.” He told her. “Next question."

Hana rolled her eyes impatiently and she grumbled before asking her next question, “Fine. The monster, what does it look like?” She asked.

The man sighed again, “Again, not a question I can answer.” He told her.

“What can you tell me?!” She shouted at him. “You’re not telling me anything! Give me some answers, who are you?!” 

“I can’t tell you until you know everything!” He yelled back at her, “Now, go back. Find me when you know more.” He said, moving out into the moonlight and Hana could see his tan complexion and light hair. He looked at her, fire in his eyes before jumping in. 

She sighed, picking up a rock and throwing it angrily into the water, before umping in herself. She swam back to shore before the day could begin and hopefully no one would notice her empty bed in that cabin.

She walked up, sand sticking to her ankles and she saw a man wearing the red swim trunks of their uniform and she sighed to herself. 

Too much luck for one day.

“Sit.” He told her.


Author's Note;;
Another update :D I'm on a roll :3