~ Wave 09. ~ Search

Monsters: The Vortex

Hana made it back to shore safely, taking a quick shower before passing out on her bed. Whoever that guy was, he was right, she did need at least a few hours of sleep before tomorrow. She quickly fell asleep, ignoring her brain as she still had questions about what he had said.

She managed to get some hours before Asia came looking for her. "Yo, get up." She said angrily.

Hana sighed, forcing herself out of bed, "Why you mad? I'm with Junho today?" She asked, a hint of amusement in her voice.

Asia glared at her, "Yeah, you are. But it's okay, you'll put a good word for me right?" She pleaded, with her best puppy dog eyes and Hana laughed loudly, changing into her swimsuit.

"If the chance comes up then, yes I will. But I'm not going to randomly say that he should go out with you." Hana said, walking out with Asia to find Junho waiting for her to go to their shift.

"Ready, newbie?" Junho asked her with a smile and Hana could see Asia swooning in her peripheral. He started walking ahead of her and she took a few leaps to catch up to him.

"So what side are we on today?" She asked, matching his pace. They walked towards the cabin together and Hana could see some people were already on the beach. It was mostly the usual crowd that was there early, minus whoever was missing.

"Whale Cave, Myungsoo and Ri Ah always take the other side because nothing ever happens there. But they don’t need the hard work anyway, when they’re paired together.” Junho commented.

Hana laughed before calming down, “Why does Uncle Jin Young partner them in the first place if that happens?” She asked bluntly. They reached their cabin and took their respective seats beside each other.

“He doesn’t like the tension created when they don’t get paired together. And they’re sufficient at their jobs to know when to pay attention.” Junho replied, “What about you? Been up to anything?” 

She pursed her lips tightly, he had shared with her before so should she really trust him to share what she had done? It was better for her well-being that she didn’t because Uncle would flip out if anything happened to her. “What if I heard a story but I can’t remember where I’ve heard it before?” She asked him cryptically.

“Is it in your memories? You could just keep thinking about it to see if you will remember.” He told her easily. He never expected her to give up her information so easily but he imagined it was because he had shared with her in the past.

She frowned, “I’m not sure if it’s in my memories. But it really sounds familiar, there’s a story of mermaid princess but there’s more to it. I know there is.” She said, her voice drifting off. She stared out at the water, the waves rolling in and out soothing her as she continued to think about the story.

It had to be something, she probably read it as a child, she started reading early so she couldn’t remember everything she had ever read, or anything being read to her. But it had to be a fairy tale of some sorts.

“Maybe I’ve heard it before too? Why don’t you tell me more?” He probed, he needed to know what she knew. And how much she knew, he had no idea what happened but he wanted the answers.

“It’s pretty childish. But the only parts I was told was a spoiled princess, a giant squid, human sacrifice and a mermaid world.” She told him, biting her thumbnail anxiously. She needed to know what the story meant, her curiosity was not quelled before she went to sleep and now she had nothing to do but think about it.

“After lunch, I’m going to take off. I’ll tell Uncle Jin Young I’m feeling sick.” She said softly, Junho not registering her words as he ran out to save a small child from going out too far. She followed suit but stopped in her tracks as she watched the waves carrying the child out.

They swam too far.

She remembered, those girls were a key factor to the story. After all, how else would they get a human sacrifice. Maybe her friend beneath the surface was not truly a friend. 

It has a lot of stories behind it.

The Whale Cave had a second story related, maybe that’s why it was there. The story about you and your lover made the swim together and saw the crystals, then you would be with them forever. The relationship is strong enough to overcome anything.

That had to be it, it was the one that was bugging her, she needed to remember how that story happened.

Junho ran back towards her and she saw him coming but she ran off. “Hana!” He yelled at her but she ignored him, heading back for the cabin. He sighed to himself as he took over the job for the two of them.

She changed quickly into normal clothes so that she could go out and about in town. Grabbing a notebook, pen and her backpack, she ran off, pulling casual shoes on as well. It had been so long since she had worn shoes, it felt so unnatural to her but she had too many questions to concern herself with something that trivial.

She made the proper turns and found herself exactly where she wanted to be. The library, the two story building towered over her and she headed inside the heavy doors closing behind her. She didn’t even check to see if her phone was on her, but if it was, it was always on silent.

She beelined straight for the librarian’s desk and saw a platinum blonde male sitting in the chair. “How may I help you today?” He asked her in a low whisper.

She stared at him for a moment, surprised as most librarians she had seen were woman, but recovered quickly, “Where would I find fairy tales? Not necessarily for children but in general.” She asked him.

“You mean the original versions of fairy tales?” He asked, waiting for her to nod, “It’s on the second floor. So when you go up the stairs, enter the room on your right, take a left, walk straight until you’re in another room and it’ll be the third shelf from where you entered.” He told her specifically.

Hana nodded, following his directions precisely and she found herself in front of the shelf where lots of fairy tales were. She sighed, falling to the floor, as she didn’t remember the name of the book either, she just knew she had read it before.

“Do you need any more help?” She jumped as a voice interrupted the silence and she saw that it was the librarian from earlier.

“I don’t know the title.” She said sadly, “I just know some plot details.” 

He smiled at her and she could finally read his nametag, ‘Wooyoung.’ “That’s fine, I’ve read pretty much every book on this shelf, so give me some of what you know and I can help you find it.” He told her, sitting down beside her.

“Okay, well..” She started and he listened carefully to everything she knew, his eyes roaming the titles and she finally finished explaining all the details she could remember and he stood up and walked away.

She sighed to herself, she shouldn’t have hoped he could find it. She would just have to start flipping through each book herself and see which one matched. She opened her bag and took out her notebook and pen before an old leatherbound book was presented in front of her.

The dust was still scattered on it as if no one checked it out recently. “Here.” He said, giving her the book, “What you’re looking for is a collection of stories. But they’re all related because they’re by the same author.” He told her, “And his entire collection is in this book."

Hana’s jaw dropped as she reached out and took the book in both hands, “Thanks.” She murmured in surprise.

Wooyoung smiled at her, “It’s my job. Good luck on your search.” He said taking his leave. She swiped her hand over the cover and the dust flew off.

Love Conquers All: A Collection of Stories by Ken H. Goony


Author's Note;;
Threw Wooyoung in there lol. XD
Wooyoung the librarian haha~
Enjoy :D
P.S. We're Halfway There "Looking good now, nothing's gonna get in the way~" 
LOLOLOL. <3