~ Wave 17. ~ Return

Monsters: The Vortex

Hana woke with the sun in her eyes and she felt a warmth beneath her and she saw Khun was lying there with his eyes still closed. She smiled to herself, she managed to get herself out of grasp without waking him and she slipped the bikini back on in case anyone decided to swim out there soon.

She sat on the side, watching him sleep and just waiting for him to wake up. Her cheeks flushed when she realized what they had done and she let out a noise of happiness and disappointment. She always pictured her first time being comfortable on a bed, but it was with Khun and that’s what mattered.

He stirred and his hands roamed, searching for her and she moved closer taking his hand into hers. “Good morning, sleepyhead.” She said.

Immediately, he jumped up with eyes wide awake, he touched his chest and his legs. His morning wood prominent in the sunlight and Hana giggled when she saw it.

“You should put your trunks back on.” She told him, he just listened to her thoughtlessly.

“It’s the morning?” He asked her, she got the sense from his voice that he was trying to double check with her that this was real.

“Yes. It’s the morning. Were you expecting something else?” She replied. He looked over at her, realization in his eyes with a big grin on his face. He grabbed her into his arms and squeezed her tightly.

“I’m still here. It worked.” He mumbled over and over again as he squeezed and let go before squeezing her again.

“Khun.” She choked out. “Can’t breathe.” Immediately, he let go of her and held her at arm’s length to check over her body for bruises that would cause her pain.

“I can’t believe it.” He said, smiling. “I thought she lied to me.” His eyes not really looking directly at her so she waved a hand in front of his face.

“Khun. You have some explaining to do.” Hana told him.

He nodded, taking a deep breath. “I was your friend. The one you always used to swim by, my fins would tickle your feet. I was that creature. The giant monster of the deep.” He told her.

“But you were friendly.” She said, “So why were a monster?” She asked.

He sighed, “If you remember how you tried to rescue that girl and in the end I rescued you? The mermaid princess, her name is Yuri and she was taking sacrifices for herself back then, because the giant squid was threatening her kingdom. But you interfered so she tried to take you. But when I sacrificed myself for you, she wanted me instead.” Nichkhun explained.

“But you weren’t a sacrifice so what happened?” She asked him.

He shrugged, “I don’t know, I just know that she was given a reprieve that day. Or someone else had taken care of it for her. Because I was brought to her chambers where she tried to seduce me. She wanted me for herself, the love I had for you was something she wanted.” Nichkhun explained, “But it doesn’t work that way, love doesn’t just turn and off like a switch.” 

Hana nodded, “So then I made it back to shore unconscious with everything forgotten.” She added to his story.

“Mmm. But that wasn’t all that happened to me. When I refused to give her my love she had asked someone to help her. And that’s when I was turned into the creature, they told me I was called a leviathan. I was to help her capture all the sacrifices for the squid. In return, they promised to leave you alone. They gave me extra fins so that I could create whirlpools to drag the girls down to the deep without being seen.” He explained to her.

“Who is they?” She asked him, “Princess Yuri but who was the other person?"

“I don’t know, I just know that it was another woman.” He told her. “She was pleased with her creation when she turned me into the monster. But everyday, Yuri would tell me that I could be free of it, if I could just love her. True love’s kiss would break the spell of me being a monster. I couldn’t survive underwater without oxygen after all, so I needed the change to live.” Nichkhun said.

“Why didn’t you fall in love with her? She was pretty the way I remembered her.” Hana asked him softly. She had seen enough of the mermaid’s features to know she was attractive enough to woo a man.

Nichkhun reached out to her and poked her forehead, “Because I had you, silly. Besides, she was sacrificing humans for the sake of her own skin.” He said.

“Why couldn’t people remember them?” She asked him. “They just vanished into nothingness."

He shrugged, “Part of the spell I guess. They didn’t want people catching on to her sacrifices or else she would run out of sacrifices to have.” He answered.

Hana pursed her lips together as she pondered that thought. He was right, but there was still a big piece of the puzzle missing, “Don’t you think that was too easy?” She asked him. “You’re free just because we found each other."

“Are you saying you didn’t already love me?” He challenged back. “True love’s kiss, Hana. I’m here because you loved me. Isn’t that enough?” He said, pulling her into his lap, arms tight around her waist.

She gasped at his warmth, she didn’t realized her body had gotten cold from being away from his heat.

“Come on, let’s go back to shore. I want to see my friends who I haven’t seen in a while.” He told her, picking her up and walking out of the cave. He unceremoniously tossed her into the water and he followed after her. She glared at him as she adjusted her bikini, “Yah.” She said.

He looked at her with innocent eyes, stealing a kiss from her lips, “Sorry. Couldn’t resist.” He said and they started to swim back towards shore. Hana noticed that a group of people were already waiting for them as they got closer she recognized their faces.

Nichkhun ran up to them as they climbed out of the water, hugs everywhere. She smiled, standing on the side as the boys had their reunion.

“Long time no see, jerk.” Taecyeon said, slamming Nichkhun’s arm.

“Sorry, I’ve been caught up in something.” He replied, nudging Taecyeon back.

He reached for Hana’s hand and they walked back towards the cabins.

“Hana unni!” A voice called to her and she turned to see that Ami was running towards her. “Have you seen Asia?” The girl asked when she caught her breath.

Hana frowned, “Sorry, no I haven’t.” She said, “I think she might still be sleeping.”

“Okay, tell her I’m looking for her when you see her.” Ami said, running off to her friends.

“They’re back.” She said softly but all the boys heard her.

“Yeah, I doubt anyone will remember they even left though. So don’t get your hopes up.” Junho said and they all walked back the cabin together.