♡ Mosaic

The Perfect Mistake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Merry Xmas, everyone. I hope you will like this little present.

--->> 9 months after Taemin’s death <<---

Jonghyun tightened his grip on Kibum’s hand, pulling the other up the road. Both exhausted, hungry, and thirsty, but Kibum was especially mad. For some unknown reason, Jonghyun had insisted on climbing to the top of this dammed mountain. Now they both have been lost for half of the day and the sun is setting. They have drunken their last drop of water hours ago, and no single soul was in sight.

The thought of spending the night in the wood scared Kibum, and his legs shook even more. Just then, they saw an abandoned church. Right next to it was a gravestone that looked as old and as abandoned as the church. A cold chill ran through Kibum’s neck. Who would build a church in the middle of nowhere? And who would bury a person here? Kibum hesitated to follow Jonghyun who was nothing but glad to find a place to stay over the night. Kibum grabbed on Jonghyun’s sleeves, holding back the older.

“Are you sure about going in there? This place is so odd.”

“It’s old, but it’s better than sleeping outside.” Jonghyun misheard odd for old.

“To be honest, I’d rather sleep outside. This place looks like it is…”

“…haunted,” Kibum whispered the last part.

“Kibum, don’t be silly.”

Whined and against his own will, Kibum followed Jonghyun inside.

The air smelled like old wood and dust. The sun was setting low. The last sunlight shined through the broken glass window, making the last fractals left on the window appear as colourful patterns on the ground. It was magical how all the fear disappeared. Instead, Kibum felt peace.

Looked at Jonghyun, Kibum realised the other was already staring at him. Their eyes immediately locked, and their breathes synchronized. This moment was so perfect, and nothing could make it more beautiful… except for Jonghyun who took Kibum’s hand and went down on one knee.

“This was not how I planned it to be,” the older said and Kibum could feel his heart racing, “I wanted to do it in the sunset and on the top of the mountain. I wanted to tell you how much I love you and how thankful I am to you. I wanted this moment to be perfect because I know you deserved nothing less. I’ve checked the weather, the wind direction, the exact time of sunset. I thought I could or I should control all that, but maybe I was wrong. You come to my life was unplanned. Us falling in love was unplanned. And yet, that was the best thing that could happen to me… So…” Jonghyun took a deep breath.

“Kim Kibum, would you stay by my side until the day we die? Would you marry me?”

“Are you kidding me?” Kibum stuttered, trying to hold his tears.

“I’m not a believer, but even I wouldn’t lie in a church.” Jonghyun was dead serious.

“You cheesy stupid nerd, we’re already married.”

“That doesn’t count. That time you didn’t even say your real name.”

“Kim Jonghyun, I don’t know what to do.” Kibum wiped away his tears.

“You can give me an answer because my knee starts hurting here.” Jonghyun joked and a smile brightened up Kibum’s face.

“Yes,” Kibum exclaimed, pulling up the older.

“Yes, I will marry you.” He repeated before their lips locked.

______________________

--->> Three years later… Somewhere in Italy <<---

He knew it was coming. Still, Kibum jumped as the cork shot into the air with a loud bang. Jonghyun let out a quiet chuckle, only to earn a hard punch on his upper arm.

“Don’t laugh at me,” Kibum pouted, and Jonghyun apologized, still having a smile on his face.

Jonghyun poured the champagne into a glass and handed it to Kibum, before pouring himself a glass of orange juice.

“Congratulations on your graduation and on the job offers. Those companies recognize a genius designer when they see one.” Jonghyun said, raising the glass for a cheer.

“Thank you,” replied Kibum, and they both took a sip of their drinks.

“I’m so glad you’re no longer a student,” Jonghyun told his lover, “now I can openly hold your hand and openly kiss you on the campus.”

“What are you talking about?” Kibum tilted his head.

“You were never my professor. We weren’t even in the same faculty,” he added.

“Yeah, but I didn’t want the other students to think badly of you for being in a relationship with a professor.” Jonghyun patted the back of his head shyly.

“First of all, Professor Doctor Kim Jonghyun,” Kibum teased the older, knowing Jonghyun hated it when people called him by his full title, “we are not ‘in a relationship’. We’ve been married for almost two years already. Actually, we even got married twice. Get that in your head, you dummy.”

Jonghyun laughed at his husband’s faked anger. The memories of their wedding overwhelmed his mind with joy. Their “real” wedding took place at the beach in the Maldives where they had their first date. It was a private and small ceremony with no one else but their closest friends and family members. Kibum had tears in his eyes as the pastor called him by his real name and announced them to be married. Jonghyun still remembered how his hands were shaking as he kissed Kibum at sunset. He was so afraid it could be just a dream for he still couldn’t believe how lucky he was to have that person by his side forever, as long as they both shall live.

“Second, are you telling me you’re having naughty professor-student fantasies about us?” Kibum smirked.

“You’ve got me there,” winked Jonghyun.

“Well, officially I’m still a student until midnight. We still got a few hours,” Kibum said, slowly approached Jonghyun. The smirk remained on his lips. “Shall we fulfill your fantasy?”

“Professor~,” Jonghyun’s burned up as Kibum leaned over, whispering in his ear with the most seductive voice. Closed his eyes, Jonghyun breathed in until his lungs were filled with nothing else but Kibum’s sweet scent.

Just as they were about to lock their lips, both phones wouldn’t stop vibrating. Growled, they grabbed their phones, and at the same moment, they both gasped. Whatever was on the screens, it got their attention for minutes until their eyes left the displays. Staring at each other, they searched for confirmation by the other.

“Jonghyun,” Kibum stuttered, “did you get the same Google alert?”

“I…,” even Jonghyun was speechless for a moment. Synchronized, they rushed to the living room, turning on the television. As they switched to the Korean TV, the reporter was already talking about the breaking news.

“…Prepared by the biggest and longest undercover operation in the history of the police departments, a racier this huge has never happened. On the same day and almost at the same time, the police took down two of the biggest criminal syndicates in several cities.

Kim Sooman, the new Black Lotus’ leader was injured during the fire exchange, but he was arrested alive. Three years ago, Sooman ordered the murder of the former leader who also was his brother, and took over the syndicate. He was also suspected of murdering his nephew, Kim Kibum, who was found dead in the Han River.

The coordination of the operation was taken by Minister Kim himself despite his presidential candidacy. After this success, there is no doubt, he is going to be the most promised candidate for this election.

According to the police department, the police worked with several informants from both syndicates. Especially, one of them was a high ranked member of the gang. It is unclear when the trial will take place, but there is no doubt this is going to be the biggest trial of the year.”

The reporter announced, and both men held their breaths.

“Is it really over?” Jonghyun asked.

“Is it?” Kibum repeated, only to answer the question the next second.

“It is over, Jonghyun,” he exclaimed, “it’s over.”

“I can’t believe it’s over,” Jonghyun said with joy.

After a second of silence, Kibum replied, heading back to the kitchen, as Jonghyun followed him.

“I need another drink,” Kibum said.

“Me too. Can I have one?” Jonghyun asked, and Kibum widened his eyes.

“Champagne?” He asked in disbelief. As Jonghyun nodded, he frowned even more.

“But you don’t drink,” Kibum stated, “I mean… I’m confused.”

Shyly, Jonghyun chuckled. “I do now,” he responded.

“What’s going on?” Kibum narrowed his eyes. “When we first met, you did drink. Then suddenly you stopped and now out of nowhere you drink again?”

“Why?” Kibum asked, placing his fingers on his chin like he was a detective.

“Do you remember our first date?” Jonghyun asked. Immediately, a smirk appeared on Kibum’s face.

“Of course, I do. I remember our first night too,” winked Kibum.

“Well, I don’t,” Jonghyun admitted.

“Yeah, I remember that too,” Kibum’s voice changed as the memories came to his mind. The younger crossed his arms, looking like he was about to scold Jonghyun again.

“Yeah,” Jonghyun faked a smile, “and that’s the reason.”

“I don’t get it,” Kibum shook his head.

“Well, we had - as you said - a “wonderful first night”, but I couldn’t remember because I was drunk.”

“Jonghyun, you’re not telling me you haven’t drunk the whole time because you’re afraid of another hangover?” Kibum’s smile faded right away as he noticed Jonghyun’s seriousness.

“Really?” Kibum asked in disbelief.

“I knew you could disappear anytime” Jonghyun confessed. A wave of old guilt hit Kibum once again. Every time he thought about Jonghyun knowing his true identity the whole time, he couldn’t help but feel bad.

“I’m sorry,” Kibum sighed. No matter how often Jonghyun had told him not to apologize, his mind hadn’t learned yet.

“I didn’t mean it like that. I just meant… I knew our time could be limited, so I wasn’t missing a second of it by being drunk… You know, just in case.”

“Just in case I’d leave you?” Kibum questioned. Tears welled up in his eyes.

“Kibum, you’re not going to cry, are you?” Jonghyun asked, only to earn a punch in his belly.

“Do you expect me not to cry after saying something cheesy like that?” The younger yelled, wiping away his tears while Jonghyun pulled him in for a tight embrace.

“I’m sorry,” Jonghyun whispered, leaning his head against Kibum’s.

“But it’s all over now. We’re free. And you’re staying by my side, right? Forever, right?” He added.

“Drink your champagne,” replied Kibum as he lifted his head, looking at the man in front of him.

“Is that a yes? I’ll take that as a yes,” Jonghyun smiled. This was the ending he had prayed for.

______________________

Korea. Three years ago. Two days before Taemin’s death.

“Are you crazy? No one survives a fall from that height,” Kris disagreed.

“Wouldn’t the water reduce the impact? They do that a lot in movies,” Xiumin asked, putting down his energy drink.

“Those movies are wrong. Kris is right, the water would be hard like concrete when you fall from that height.” Jonghyun replied.

“How about a parachute?” Lay suggested.

“No, the fall would take too much time. It’s impossible to hold Minho back for so long.” Onew objected. The older sighed. They have been discussing an escape plan for almost two hours and he was losing his patience.

“We can use a small explosive charge,” Kris said casually like it were a daily suggestion. As everyone looked at him puzzled, he started explaining.

“Just a small explosion to move the water. It’ll feel like pudding when he falls into it. We just need to time the explosion very well. If it’s too early, it won’t work. If it’s too late,…”

“…he’ll be pudding.” Kris finished the sentence after a short pause as if he wanted to be dramatic, not knowing the real drama was still to come.

“What’s going on?” The door flung open and Kibum entered Jonghyun’s laboratory.

“Are you guys talking about Taemin?” Kibum narrowed his eyes. His hands clenched.

“Why did you leave me out? And is that your plan to save him?” Kibum yelled the word “save” with sarcasm.

“We wanted to tell you once we figured out a plan. Sorry?” Onew tried to calm Kibum down, unsuccessfully.

“Is that what you called a plan? Blow a bomb under his feet?”

“I know it sounds dangerous, but…”

“It sounds dangerous because it is,” Kibum screamed the last part so loud, even Jonghyun startled for a second. He had never seen Kibum being so mad before.

“As I said, it’s safe if we got the right timing. It’s basically just a math problem.” Kris argued.

“Yeah, just a math problem that’s gonna get my brother killed if we get the wrong answer. Do you want to do it? Do you want to do the calculation?”

Kris silenced, so did the others until the silence became unbearable.

“I’ll do it,” Jonghyun suggested.

“Jonghyun… you’re not.”

“Key, there is no other way.”

“I don’t care,” Kibum shook his head and took a step back, “We’ll figure out something else. You’re all elite assassins or whatever. Think of a better solution.”

Si

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter