I'm by your side

The Perfect Mistake
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Minho signaled that the chauffeur could leave. The man got out of the car but Minho didn’t move. His head is about to explode. As if there were a Heavy Metal concert taken place in his head. Perhaps he has drunk more than he assumed, furthermore the lack of sleep was clearly not helpful. After a short time, he went through the garage which led to the living room and found Taemin sleeping on the couch. When was the last time that someone was home when he got back? He couldn’t remember.

Taemin must have fallen asleep immediately after Minho left because the TV was still on. The younger had not even changed the channel. Minho wondered how this delicate person could bring someone like Mr. Hong to talk. His eyes scan Taemin from head to toe as if he were discovering something new, something very exciting. Just then, the scene from earlier was played again in his memory. He blushed. He blamed the alcohol for the "pretty face". What are the odds that Taemin didn’t notice that?

And how was he going to explain what he said this morning? At that time, he definitely had no alcohol in the blood.

“If you failed, I can do anything I want to you.” Minho felt a sudden shame. That sounded like a quote from a bad version of Fifty Shades of Grey.

And what would he have done if he won? What the hell did he expect? Minho tried to tell himself that he only wanted to play with Taemin and to scare him a bit.

He wanted to bring Taemin in his bed, but he feared the thought of having Taemin in his arm. What if he’d like it? Hours earlier, when they stood so close to each other, he did not hate the feeling. In the end, he covered Taemin with a blanket and went to his room.

____________________


Taemin knew he was dreaming. That dream again. Despite all the efforts, he couldn’t wake up. All he could be watching as if he were caught in a movie. He saw the kidnapper pointed the gun at his face, or rather, at the face of his nine years old version. The small boy shut his eyes, therefore he could still hear the shot and seconds after the voices of several adults. The police stormed the hut, but it was too late. Someone was shot.


Everything Taemin saw was now covered in red as if someone had painted the room. Yet it was the blood that splashed in his eyes. Later, in the hospital, the doctor told him that it wasn’t his own blood. It turned out it was the female kidnapper who was shot. He was too young to understand what happened. Many years later, the detective, who was also a friend of his father, told him she had embraced him as her partner had pulled the trigger. Taemin couldn’t remember what happened after the first shot, but he was told that the male kidnapper had been shot by the police.

Until now he still wondered why she was willing to die for him. Why would a criminal do such a thing? At some point, his mother told him, it might be the motherly instinct that made her protect a child. The kidnapper was a mother a long time ago. However, she lost the child, even before it was born. She probably did not know that her partner never wanted to release Taemin. Whatever the reason was, Taemin would never know. He’d never have the possibility to ask her or to thank her. The only thing he knew for sure was that he owed his life to her.

Perhaps, she was the reason why he wanted to study psychology. He hoped one day he’d understand why people did what they did; why a woman was willing to die for someone else’s child.


Taemin opened his eyes as a voice in his head woke him up from his dream. A voice which was clearly as if someone was whispering into his ear.

"He was willing to die for her."


Taemin was glad to wake up from the nightmare. He sat up and began to sort his thoughts. Mr. Hong knew he would die if he did not name the hiding to Minho. But it didn’t seem to bother him until Taemin mentioned his daughter. Sounds logical at first. But why should he take the tortures? Why not telling Minho the truth to avoid the pains? He couldn’t be that loyal to the Red Devils. Then why did he do that? If he spoke, the Red Devils would kill him. If not, the White Snake would kill him. Someone like him would never take the bullet for another person. Except for his daughter.

"Of course. He was willing to die for her. " Taemin mumbled and began to dial Onew's number.

"Come on, pick up." He looked at the clock. It was 6: am, Onew must be sleeping.

"Taemin? Did something happen? "Onew worried.

"Hyung, that friend of yours, that detective who sent us the information about Mr. Hong."

"What about him?"

"Does he have any connection in China, someone who can check if Mr. Hong’s daughter was alright?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you think it’s possible that Mr. Hong betrayed Minho because they threatened his daughter?"
"It’s not impossible. That would also explain why someone who worked for more than 10 years for the Chois, suddenly switched sides. "

"Can you call me if you know anything?"

"Of course. I’ll call him now. "

Taemin wanted to lay his phone back on the nightstand. That was the moment he realized he wasn’t in his room. Now it came into his mind that he fell asleep while was watching the news. However, he didn’t remember having a blanket.

__________________

 

Taemin heard footsteps and he knew it was Minho. He didn’t think of the other boy as an early bird but Minho really surprised him. Taemin went to the kitchen to get his morning glass of water. It was already the fourth morning he woke up here, and yet he still couldn’t get used to this house nor get used to living alone with another man.

Minho was sitting at the dinner table, drinking his coffee. His eyes didn’t leave his iPad even though he noticed Taemin.

“Yesterday, did you cover me up?” Minho still didn’t react.

“Anyway, thank you.”  Then none of them said a word until the silence became unbearable.

"What are you going to do about Mr. Hong?" Taemin tried to start a conversation.

"Nobody would miss that bastard," Minho replied dryly.

"He has a daughter who would miss him." That was what Taemin wanted to say.

"You promised me you wouldn't do anything to him."

"No, I said I would not kill him. That’s something completely different." Minho stood up and called for his driver.

"Are you going to see him? Let me accompany you?" Taemin Minho him to his car.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter