Chapter 1

Unexpected Joy

SunMi's POV

It never occured to me how much pain I caused everyone. I didn't want to. But, I guess I wasn't thinking at the time. I was always selfish. The only thing I wanted was.... you. But I got you. And I lost you. In a horrible way too. I still remember it though. That joy. I sound silly. But.... I miss it. I miss you being my everything. These walls. They're so cruel. I can't see anyone. I'll see you soon though. I'm excited, but I'm scared. That ribbon's still hanging by my window. It gives me chills, knowing you're still here somehow. I don't want to think about it though. I'll think of happier things, and happier times. 

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

 

"SUNMI! HURRY UP! We're going to miss our flight!" 

"Mom, since when have you called me SunMi?" I gave her a questioning look. 

"Get used to it. It'll be your name when we move. And call me umma okay?" I rolled my eyes and gave one last look at the first 17 years of my life. Then I locked the door, and it was lost forever. 

It was bittersweet on the way to the airport, seeing all the iconic points of my city, my home, but then realizing it would be long before I saw them again. I told all my friends not to come see me off. I didn't want to cry. After what seemed like the most heartbreaking drive ever, we arrived at the airport. We unloaded our bags and I breathed the city in. I whispered "Goodbye" without my mother seeing. I didn't want anybody to know I was weak. 

My older brother Taecyeon patted me on the head. I always wondered why preferred that over Victor, his American name. 

"Tell me again why you aren't going with us?" I said, fixing my hair. 

"I have school remember? I'll come visit though. Try not to miss me too much dongsaeng" He said, patting me again. 

I groaned. Why was everyone using Korean words? Its not that I didn't like Korean, I spoke it fluently and at home, but it just reminded me that I would be leaving home. 

Taecyeon helped us with our bags and we waved goodbye. Now it was just mom and me for the next 12 hours, sitting in silence, contemplating how our new lives would be. With a tear in my eye watching the city disappear, I fell asleep, and woke up in a new country. 


My mom shook me awake, and I groggily remembered where I was.  After getting our bags and information, we were greeted by my father outside the terminal. I hadn't seen him for a while, so it was awkward. We walked outside into the polluted Seoul. it felt different. It was early in the afternoon, so the school kids were getting out, making the city seem lively. 

"Are you hungry?" My father asked me, in Korean. 

I was going to answer in English, but remembered that we were in Korea, and that my father never spoke English too well, hence his moving back home when I was young. I settled with shaking my head no. 

"Nonsense SunMi, you haven't since before we got on the plane!" I sighed. 

"I'm hungry then. Can we go home first?" I wanted to fall asleep so I could have an excuse to not go out. 

My father patted my head. "Anything for my daughter" I wanted to gag. My brother was more of a father to me than he was. 

Our home was nothing special. I could adjust I suppose.I took my luggage to my room and found a uniform on my new bed. 

"You start school tomorrow" My father smiled, placing another one of my luggage on the floor. "Seoul Academy. Best private school I could get you into" I smiled back. Although I wasn't interested. 

"YAH! Instead of going out to eat, why don't we get SunMi to go buy us some chicken? There's a store down the street right?" Before I could protest, I was walking down the street, going to buy chicken. 

Walking down the street trying to find the godforsaken chicken store, I ran into an unpleasant surprise. 7 boys, all dressed in baggy pants, with their school clothes worn lazily, were walking in my direction. I tried my best to get out of their way, but they had already seen me. 

"Hey!" One of them yelled. The pretty boy no doubt. I started walking faster. My first few hours and I was already running into guys like these. 

"Don't walk away!" another one of them, a red haired one, yelled. 

 I ignored them, except one. Something about him fascinated me. He was tall, and had strange, long hair. He seemed like the biggest jerk of them all, but I couldn't stop looking at him. I shook my head back into reality and continued walking, and ignoring their whistles and calls. 

 

________________________________

I didn't know at that time, how important you would be to me. I thought you'd be just another face. I'm glad I met you though, Woo Jiho.