Your Day Off

The Blithe Café

YOSEOB POV

 

Four Hours Later

 

Doojoon was still here, for some reason, even though, unlike most of Blithe, he didn't live here and he didn't have a night shift tonight. Chanyeol, Baekhyun, Kikwang, Minho, and T.K had disappeared upstairs, and the rest of us where down here; Me, Taemin, Henry, Doojoon, and Dongwoon. This may seem like a lot of people to run just a small bakery, but trust me. Blithe needs like ten people to even open in the mornings. I've been upstairs a couple of times. Baek and Chanyeol share a room, Taemin and Minho, T.K and Dongwoon, and then Kikwang has his own. There's a big living room/family room up there, with a couple of couches and chairs, a big T.V, and a huge fireplace. The kitchen is stocked with all the appliances, new and shiny and modern, and big windows line two of the walls of the living room. There isn't a dining table, per sec, just a 5-seat bar near the kitchen and tables scattered around the room. The whole space is very, open, welcoming, not messy but not exactly neat. The room branch off of the living room, a couple bedrooms with their own bathrooms. The place was big, as it had to be to accommodate for 7 people, with a bed to spare. Henry, who has a place only a block away from Blithe, Doojoon, and I were the only ones that live somewhere else. 

Dongwoon had finally recovered and was shrieking in the corner about chocolate or something, while Doojoon was looking on with a dainty amused expression. Actually, not so faintly. Taemin was bouncing around, apparently hyper again, and Henry, as calm as always, was organizing the cookies in the display case. Me, I was dead. Four o'clock in the morning, sleep seven hours in the future, but I was managing to keep my eyes open. 

I should've never told them. Clearly, something terrible had happened to Tae and Chanyeol, that I only helped them to remember. But I have to put it behind me, I have to forget, and Blithe is the place to do it. Blithe is where Junhyung can't go, and so I'll stay. 

 

T.K POV

 

He was right on time, four o'clock. This is the only time he can get away from his parents and come to Blithe, so I always wait up for him. I was watching TV in the living room, the volume down low so it wouldn't wake anyone up when he came up the stairs. The room was dark, the only light flickering from the TV, but I could see him well enough. He grinned, crossing the room with ease and settling on the couch next to me. I grinned back, sitting up as he came in. His dark eyes reflected the light like glass, and his ease and grace as he moved I knew by heart. The only friend outside of Blithe, but as I felt my heart beat faster, I knew it was more. We had met first when we were both 7, in the orphanage. 

 

I'm scared. This isn't my home. My mom and dad aren't here, and this woman with curly hair and cherry red cheeks is taking their place, and I don't like it. I don't like it. I was taken from the street where Mommy said to stay there, and because I was hungry, I went. But I can't leave. They gave me a room with yellow walls and told me to sleep. I didn't at first, but then I did, because I was tired.

It's morning now, and I'm hungry, even though they already gave me breakfast. Dad always said I eat too much, but I'm just hungry all the time. It's not my fault, but Dad sometimes acts like it was. I haven't seen anyone else here except for Not-Mommy and the scary cook, but I heard voices, so there must be. They're taking me somewhere now, down a hallway that smells like cinnamon, which makes me hungry. But Mommy always said it's rude to ask for food after you were just fed, so I don't and I walk down the hallway instead. The voices are getting louder now, and I wonder if it's Mommy and Dad, here to tell them that this was all a mistake, and take me back to my bed and my sheets and my room.

But when I step into the bright room, they aren't there. But three other boys are there, and two girls, but one boy, with dark, messy hair and bright, eyes that are the color of Mommy's coffee in the morning is the one that I see first. I just stand in the doorway, not sure what to do, even though Mommy told me to never stand in the doorway because people might want to get by you. But then Not-Mommy pats me on the back, and tells me to play. So I do, and I walk over to the boy with the black hair and eyes that remind me of Mommy, and I sit down next to him. He smiles, a big smile, and I see a gap in his front teeth when he does. 

"Hey!" I say, scooting closer on the rough carpet. "I lost a tooth too!"  And I smile the Mommy always says to, trying to show him the spot where my tooth used to be. The boy grins back, and hands me a bright red truck, the color of Mommy's lips whenever she leaves home. 

"My name's Kangjun. You wanna play cars?" I feel happy; my heart is thumping. 

"Sure!" I say, and then remember that Mommy told me it's polite to tell someone your name back. "My name's Minwoo." Kangjun scrunched up his nose. 

"I don't like that name. Can I call you T.K? It was my doggie's name before my mom took him with her when she moved without me." I considered that. T.K was a kinda strange name, but if my friend said so, I liked it. 

"Sure!" And Kangjun grinned again. 

"We're gonna be best friends, I know it!" 

 

 

Kangjun flopped onto the couch. "What're you watching?" He asked, but like always, he knew to keep his voice down. A half-asleep, pissed Baekhyun was definitely something to be scared of. As Kangjun already knew from (a painful) experience. 

"You're Beautiful," I said, naming the drama, and Kangjun nodded, leaning back into the pillows, his shoulder brushing against mine, which I tried to ignore. 

The reason why Kangjun had to sneak out of his house at 3 in the morning was his 'guardians'. Both of us being abandoned, we met in the city orphanage, and Kangjun had been adopted just a week before me, after I had been living in the orphanage for a year. Over that time, we had became inseparable, so we traded e-mails, and kept in touch ever since. But Kangjun's new 'parents' were serious about him studying and school and all, which led to him being one of the top students in his class, even as a freshman in one of the top colleges in Seoul. He still lived at the house, his parents insisted, and wasn't allowed to go out to visit friends. At all. Sometimes Kangjun could lie his way into visiting Blithe, but usually he could sneak out a couple times a week in the night. It was just a ritual of ours, as we had become so close a week without seeing each other was pretty much unbearable. We e-mailed a lot, since Kangjun was absolutely prohibited from getting a phone, but it was much better in person. 

Halfway through the show, Kangjun half-turned to face me, and the light made half his face fall into shadows. He had something in his eyes that I wasn't used to seeing in the confident Kangjun, but his ever-present smile was there. 

"T.K?" He whispered, his eyes flicking towards the still door of Chanyeol and Baekhyun's room before going back to me, and I felt my cheeks blaze red. 

"Yeah?" It was easy to abandon the drama for Kangjun. 

Kangjun looked down, and I thought that his cheeks were redder than usual, but there was no way to be sure. 

"You wanna... um," Kangjun paused, and I cocked my head. He wasn't usually so shy. 

Kangjun seemed to regain his bravery. "Do you wanna go on like... a date or something?" I felt my cheeks go even redder, and I felt my heart burst. 

I grinned, then leaned down to whisper in his ear. "What do you think?" Kangjun turned and met my eyes, and when he saw my expression from the light of the TV, he grinned, full on, and I bumped his shoulder with mine. 

A creak of a door startled us. Kangjun froze, his eyes darting to mine, before scanning the room, eventually landing on something that made his eyes stretch wide. I turned to look. Chanyeol was pacing out of his room, his eyes completely closed. He took several steps, crashed into a lamp, and turned robotically to continue to walk forwards, eyes still shut. Kangjun looked at me, his lips pressed together like he was suppressing laughter, and mouthed something to me. Is he awake? I looked back at the giant, who was now stumbling dangerously over to us, and I couldn't stop myself from laughing. I shook my head at Kangjun, mouthing back probably not. He laughed softly, and Chanyeol tripped over a cord and went sprawling on the carpet. I couldn't help myself; I burst out laughing, and Kangjun finally gave in and laughed too as Chanyeol picked himself up from the carpet, amazingly still asleep.  

The giant collapsed on the couch next to me, sighed gustily, and started snoring. I chuckled, moving over to give him some room, and Kangjun laughed at the image of Chanyeol drooling on the couch. 

A couple minutes later, Chanyeol was breathing in big, heavy gusts. Kangjun , with a little smile on his face, was watching the drama. I slipped my hand into his, and he turned to look at me, smiling. I met his eyes, the color of a half of the black-and-white cookies Kikwang makes so well, and I feel my cheeks, and my heart, warm.

 

 

~~~~

 

Hiiii!!! So I put Kangjun from C-Clown because him and T.K are just adorbs. 

Comment, please!!!