The Past

The Blithe Café

 

BAEKHYUN POV

 

Channie?" My best friend looked up. I could tell something was wrong. After Jina had left Blithe today, Minho had told me Chanyeol was missing. I knew where he always went when something was wrong. The music store, two blocks away. It was quiet, with barely any visitors, and I knew Channie loved the place almost as much as Blithe. Besides, we both lived and worked at Blithe. There wasn't a lot of places either of us could go. I sat next to him. 

"Channie, are you okay?" He sniffed and tried to smile, but I wasn't fooled. 

"Yeah, hyung, I'm fine," he told me, clearly lying. 

"So why did you walk out?" I challenged him. 

"I... I just needed some air, hyung. Can you please just let it go?" 

"Why don't you just tell me? Is it Jina? Do you not like her or something?" I didn't want him to be sad, because when the happy virus was sad, everyone was sad, me especially. 

Chanyeol pressed his lips together. "No, I like Jina. Shes nice, hyung. I was just tired." 

I searched his eyes. I knew he wasn't telling the truth, and it hurt that he didn't. We were best friends. Didn't best friend tell each other everything? But he'll tell me when he's ready. I just have to believe that. And so when I stood up, I offered my hand to Chanyeol. It wasn't something big or unusual- we held hands practically every day, but he looked so sad. But still he reached up, laced his fingers with mine, and accompanied me back to Blithe. 

 

*     *     *

 

DONGWOON POV

 

"So, hyung, this is the bakery. We all come here at 6:00 in the morning to bake." Doojoon nodded. 

"Not to be nosy or anything and you can totally not answer this, but are all of you gay here?" I looked at him. His expression was just of curiosity, so I told him what I thought. 

"Well, I do know Channie is 'cause he likes Bacon, and Taemin is 'cause he likes Minho, and I think Baekhyun might be bi or something. And I do sorta think Yoseob is gay too. But I don't know about T.K or Minho or Kikwang or Henry." 

Doojoon was watching me again. "Are you gay?" 

I sent him a weird look. "Yeah." 

"Oh." When I looked at him he had a smile on his face. This guy was weird. After a while, he opened his mouth again. "Me too."

 

*     *     *

 

YOSEOB POV

 

"Hyung, please," I whined. I didn't want to go out in the snow and go get the grocerys. "It's cold!" 

Henry raised an eyebrow. "Put on a coat." 

But I might see him, I said in my head. 

"What?" Henry gave me a weird look. Oh. Crap. Did I say that out loud? 

"Nothing, hyung." 

"Seobbie, do you want to tell us what happened?" Chanyeol, Baekhyun, and Taemin leaned closer. 

"No." 

"Please, hyung, it might help," Henry encouraged. And I wanted ot tell them. I did. I wanted to not have a shadow anymore, to not hear his voice everywhere. But would this help? I looked around at the eager faces of my friends and decided to trust them. 

"His name was Junhyung. 

He was a rapper in a band that I always loved. I would go to this little place a block away from my house and listen to them play. They weren't big or anything- they just wanted to get there music out into the world and have fun.

Junhyung had caught my eye. I loved his rapps, and I thought he was really cute. So I was really happy when he came up to me one time and introduced himself. The relationship was really slow at first. We would say hi to each other, talk a bit, and then one day he asked me out. This was the first time I had really liked anyone, so of course I said yes, and we started dating.

At first he was amazing- he would always buy me a little gift, always treat me out to dinner, and always was gentle and kind. But then, one night, he got drunk. I think it was because of the band was breaking up or something, and it was bad. He's never been good at drinking- and he was completely wasted. We got in a fight- it wasn't bad or anything, but he hit me." 

I closed my eyes, willing myself to go on. I could see Baekhyun's hand rubbing Chanyeol's shoulder, and Chanyeol looked frozen, haunted. I continued. 

"When he came back the next day, he was so drunk the night before that he didn't remember anything. So I let it go, because... Because I blamed it on the alcohol, you know? I didn't think it was actually him. I thought that it would happen one time and be over. But he got drunk again. And he hit me again. And still, the next day, he acted like it never happened. So I let it go again.

But he started getting drunk more and more, and everytime, he would hit me, and the next morning, act like it never happened. And, then, one day, he wasn't drunk, and he... He beat me up." I started cry, and I could feel Henry's comforting hand on my back. 

"But I still stayed with him. He was the only person I ever loved- The first person that had liked me back and had been that nice to me, and I... I loved the other side of him, the one that wasn't abusive. So I stayed with him because of that other side. And so that went on for six months. 

But one day, I was going to his house. We... We were going to watch a drama." I started to cry harder. 

"And I found him cheating on me." Henry hugged me, and I pressed against him. The memories started to come back. His eyes, how they would catch the light. How his hand would look, shadowed and pale, pressed against my cheek for just a millisecond. How his lips would curl up at the corners when he talked to me. How the bottle would anyways be clasped in his hand. I just let it out. I just cried. I could see Taemin crying, just like me, his eyes full of memories, and I could see Baekhyun rubbing his thumb in a circle on Chanyeol's hand, trying to comfort him. 

I stood up. "I'm sorry. I shouldn't... I shouldn't have told that story." Then, still crying, I ran from the room, too guilty to comfort anyone. I had made their memories come back. I had made them cry. I had made myself worse. 

No one noticed Kikwang, at the edge of Blithe, silently, with tear traces lining his cheeks.