Sweet Like Honey

♥ Ontae Drabbles ♥

 

 

"I can't believe you just got us tickets to a private concert, hyung! This is amazing! Look at the stage! It's right in front of us!" Taemin squealed in obvious delight.


"What do you expect, Taemin, your boyfriend here is a famous man, don't you know that? Of course I'll get tickets to my best friend's concert," Jinki chuckled at how Taemin never seem to grasp the concept of having a celebrity boyfriend. Well, to be honest, it wasn't completely the younger's fault either. Jinki never exposed Taemin to the outside world, afraid that his innocent partner would get bullied by his own fans. He would never want to hurt his Taemin even if it meant keeping his distance. At the same time, he knew that his boyfriend longed for the skinship he wasn't willing to display.


Taemin wanted to flaunt his boyfriend for the sweet, clumsy man, and not for his popularity. He wanted to show his friends that he has met his soulmate, and that he genuinely liked Jinki, and not just as a mere fan. Of course, not everyone was going to get what they wanted. Jinki's popularity came together with limitations that set Taemin back on his want to show his boyfriend to every single person he knew. He wouldn't mind much, but that Jinki wouldn't even give him a single kiss after 4 months of dating was simply driving him nuts. By that, he meant not even on the freaking cheek. Still, he knew that Jinki had his own reasons.


"Hyung, hyung! Lightsticks!" Taemin waved the long sticks of luminous turquoise excitedly. Jinki only chuckled in response, handing his own lightstick over to the younger.


"Here, have another, I still have extras," Jinki offered generously. "I'll just go backstage for a moment, alright?" Taemin nodded understandingly, already with his camera phone out to snap shots of the large concert hall they were in.


Jinki went on backstage, and straight into his bestfriend's waiting room without even getting stopped. "Jonghyun," he greeted with a warm smile.


"Hyung!" the shorter man in ready makeup beamed widely. "So glad to see you could come."


"Of course. Congratulations, Jjong," Jinki pat Jonghyun on the back assuringly.


"Thanks, Jinki hyung," Jonghyun smiled. "By the way, who was the second ticket for?"


"I brought a date," Jinki answered softly, a light blush tinting his cheeks. "So don't look so good today, alright? Or he'll just run right into your arms. He's a big fan of yours without this concert even happening." Jonghyun responded with a loud hearty laughter.


"Taemin, right? The one that you told me about? Why didn't you bring him in?" Jonghyun asked.


"And let him fall in love with you? No way!" Jinki joked and the duo fell into another wave of laughter.


"Jjong! You're on in 5!" A backstage crew shouted through the closed door.


"Coming!" Jonghyun replied.


"Well, I'd better get going then. Good luck, Jjong. I'll see you on stage," Jinki encouraged.


"Good luck with Taemin too, hyung!" Jonghyun teased. Jinki shot the younger his middle finger playfully as he walked out the room and back to the hall where the lights were now slowly dimming. He could see Taemin looking around anxiously, with his lightsticks on his lap between his clenched fingers. As soon as Taemin spotted Jinki walking over, however, his face lit up in a bright smile and his eyes sparkled as if asking the elder to get his over quickly.


"He's coming out soon, Minnie. Just right behind those curtains now," Jinki whispered into the younger's ear once he was close enough. Taemin let out a high-pitched fanboy squeal and Jinki could only chuckle in response.


People around were already whispering, probably aware of who Jinki was even though he was makeupless. They would probably never even fathom the thought that Taemin was his lover since he had a picture perfect profile... which unfortunately assumes that he is straight as a pole. They probably thought that Taemin was his little brother or something. It did make Jinki somewhat upset but he knew that his fans wouldn't hurt his family, and if they thought that Taemin was his beloved brother whom he would even bring to a private concert, then the fans ought to treat Taemin like a goddamn prince.


His thoughts were broken at the loud sound of an electric guitar striking a chord, and bright concert firework sparkling the hall. The crowd went wild immediately with screams and cheers. Lightsticks were raised and shaken wildly, and once the sparks died down, there stood his bestfriend in the middle of the stage. Jinki did his own coocalls in encouragement, waving his lightstick up high in the air. The first song erupted into the large hall without any further introduction and Jonghyun's powerful voice sounded through the stereos. Taemin cheered and sang along loudly in excitement, the bright smile never leaving his face. Jinki knows he should be paying attention to the performance, but all he could keep his eyes on was Taemin, Taemin, Taemin.


The night was growing wild, the audience were high and excited, and Jinki couldn't be happier for his bestfriend's successful concert. His boyfriend was jumping up and down with his lightstick in the air without any signs of growing tired. In fact, he seemed like he was having the time of his life, and for that, Jinki was already overjoyed.


"Next up!" Jonghyun's voice boomed across the hall, soft pants echoing his words. "A sweet sweet song for all the couples. Let's play a game shall we? For this song, the camera will be on you, the audience! If you see yourself up on the screen, give your boyfriend, your girlfriend, your wife, or your husband a kiss! The next song is "Sweet Like Honey!"


Drummer hit the beats and the guitarist struck his chords.


"As sweet as honey

As sweet as honey

your smile is so sweet as honey

just like the way flowers bloom

in the spring breeze

in the spring breeze"

Jonghyun sang a remix of the original version to fit his voice and style. The camera, as promised, moved to film the audience and the first couple were filmed singing along with the performance. They seemed shy at first, but the husband took the initiative to give his wife a swift peck on the lips. The audience followed with loud cheers and laughter. Jinki could only laugh at Jonghyun's ability to engage the audience.

"I wonder where on earth

where on earth I've seen you?

your smile is so familiar to me

but I still cannot remember where!

Ah..... in my dreams!!!"

Jinki sang along loudly along with the song. In fact, everyone was singing along to the song. It was a classic song that practically everyone knew in town. In the meanwhile, many other couples had kissed - on the cheeks, on the lips, on the forehead, on the nose. The crowd was spontaneous and active which just made the concert even more fun and exciting.

"In my dreams ,

in my dreams I've met you

with your smile that is so sweet,

so sweet as honey

It is you, It is you,

the one I saw"

Jinki leaned in and sang into Taemin's ear, bouncing along with the excited fanboy. Taemin sang back at the top of his lungs, with his smile permanently fixed on his lips. The other audience were expressing their love to their partners, even when they were not getting caught on camera. Jinki contemplated the thought since people shouldn't take note of his actions when Jonghyun was in the spotlight. Taemin had the same thoughts, and he looked up at Jinki, as if assessing if it was alright to take some action. Jinki smiled back almost innocently even though his thoughts were in a whirlpool. Taemin turned his attention back to the performance, a slight blush tinting his cheeks. Jinki, on the other hand, continued staring at Taemin adoringly.

"In my dreams

I wonder where on earth

where on earth I've seen you?

your smile is so familiar to me

but I still can not remember where!"

The camera eventually found its way to the shy couple, and both gave a little jump of surprise in response. On an impulse, the duo decided to follow the game to give each other a peck on the cheek. Surely a little kiss on the cheek wouldn't hurt. Jinki rushed into the kiss without noticing that Taemin was doing just the same. It was only when their lips touch and the spark of electricity run down their spines did they realize what they had just done. They both widened their eyes in surprise and pulled apart as soon as their bodies could actually react to what had happened.


"Hyung..." Taemin gasped breathlessly, his fingers touching his lips as if he couldn't believe what had just happened.


"Ah..... in my dreams!!!"

Jonghyun sang the last line, and gave his bestfriend a thumbs up from the stage.


"Ah, I..." Jinki stammered covering his lips as well.


"Don't!" Taemin stopped, putting his hand on Jinki's chest. The background music was pulling to a halt, the instruments playing the last few chords. "Don't say anything you'd regret later," Taemin whispered in a trembling voice.


"Wasn't that Onew?!" Someone from the audience asked now that the music died down to nothing. "That person looks like the singer, Onew!" "Onew was gay?!"


"," Jinki cursed, grabbing Taemin's wrist and making a run for it. He hoped he had not ruined the atmosphere for the performance. He dashed into the backstage where the security let him in. "Listen carefully to me, alright, Taemin?"


"Yes, hyung...?" Taemin asked timidly, afraid for what was to come. What if he said it was a mistake, if he never meant for it to happen? What if he said he was disappointed, and that he wanted them to have some time alone? What if he wanted to break up? What if...


"Taemin, I'm sorry," Jinki whispered gently. Taemin almost hiccuped from those two dreaded words. The younger shook his head slowly, tears b his eyelids. "I'm so sorry. What we did there, what I did out there, is going to cause a lot of problems for you, Minnie. I never wanted to hurt you, Minnie."


"You never did; you never have hurt me before, hyung," Taemin choked out in soft pleas.


"I try not to, Minnie," Jinki smiled sadly. "But you don't understand. Once the news of what I did tonight gets out, you can get hurt by my fans and I need you to understand that no matter what happens... I... I love you." Taemin choked up a sob, not believing his ears.


"I know I never showed you much, and I never kiss you, or even hug you often. I hardly did any skinship because I wanted to protect you from my fans, or my anti-fans. What I couldn't provide to you in hugs and kisses, I hope I can make it up to you in words and other actions. What happens from now, no one knows. I can pray that my fans can accept you, and accept me for who I am, but I know it is not going to happen. It is going to be rocky, and painful from hereforth, but no matter what happens, remember that you can always come to me, okay?" Jinki asked gently, cupping Taemin's face in his palms.


"Is it going to be okay? Is your company going to be mad, hyung?" Taemin asked worriedly.


"It's okay. I'll take care of them. But if anyone, any single person comes up to you and calls you names, or give you hateful things, please tell me about it. You don't deserve any of it, and I'm just sorry that I can't protect you from all of them. But here, you make the decision, alright? I can deny everything and pretend it was an accident, or I can admit to everyone that you are my boyfriend. What do you say?" Jinki offered.


"What would you prefer?" Taemin whispered back.


"I don't know, Minnie, I just don't want to see you getting hurt," Jinki answered simply.


"Then I'll just be yours, hyung. I don't need the world to know as long you belong to me," Taemin smirked cheekily. Jinki laughed shakily, at the tension in the atmosphere. His shaky laughter erupted into loud genuine laughter, carefree and joyful.


"Of course I'll belong solely to you," Jinki responded, taking Taemin by the waist and leaned in for a second kiss for the night.


"Yah, hyung! I saw that!" Jonghyun's voice thundered and made an entrance into the backstage. Jinki groaned and leaned onto Taemin's shoulder instead. Taemin blushed beetroot red and he could feel Jinki's loud heartbeats from their close proximity. The audience from outside were already chanting their encores while the damned singer is still here casually teasing them.


"Taemin, right? Nice to meet you," Jonghyun offered a hand as if Jinki was just there. The encore shouts were growing louder by the second but the singer didn't seem to care.


"N-nice to meet you too," Taemin stuttered, unsure whether to switch to his fanboy mode or stay the embarrassed self he was.


"Get your back on stage, Jjong," Jinki muttered grumpily, still hiding his face. “You’re not wanted here.”


“Why now, that can’t be true!” Jonghyun exclaimed in fake astonishment. “Taemin dear sure looks pleased to see me!”


“Your fans are waiting for you!” Jinki half-shouted, turning Jonghyun around and pushing the singer back on stage.


“Someone’s jealous?” Jonghyun chuckled teasingly.


“Shut up,” Jinki hissed. “You interrupted us.”


“I do think that interrupting was the whole point of me announcing my presence,” Jonghyun mocked.


“And, Jonghyun is on stage once again!” Jinki did a commentary for only the both of them. “Good luck, buddy!” Jinki pushed Jonghyun out on stage and the audience started to cheer once again. The singer stumbled, and looked back offstage, but Jinki had already ran off the other way to take his lover into his arms once again.

 

 

I just went to this concert on saturday and god! I swear when SHINee comes I'll buy the most expensive tickets because I was in the 8th row and it was so close to the stage and the atmosphere was so lively and exciting. It was a private concert and someone gave us free tickets and the thing with the kissing on screen actually happened then. People were kissing once they were on the screen and all I was thinking was Ontae, Ontae, Ontae. Kekeke. 

The song was actually a popular chinese song from really long ago and I just found out f(x) did a remix of this song too though I wouldn't be surprised if everyone knows this song even in English. The lyrics I used were a translation from the original chinese one though.