Change (Routine Part 2)

♥ Ontae Drabbles ♥

This can be considered a continuation of Routine on chapter 12. I wrote it around the same time I wrote Routine and had wanted it to be a longer fic but I don't know if that is going to ever happen so I'll just put this here first. Since Routine was from Taemin's pov, this one is in Jinki's pov. 


 

 

 

To Jinki, Taemin grew up all too quickly. It was as if one second he was still that little kid, innocent, gullible and naive. The kid that accidentally stumbled into his rooftop haven, stuttering words of apologies after interrupting Jinki's personal serenade. In a turn of an eye, Taemin was this grown boy, now even slightly taller than he is. Now he would even write songs, lyrics, he could rap, sing, he could hold himself in shows without the other members being around. Jinki still remembered the awkward little boy, so introverted that he was unable to blend into the group they were put in as quickly as the other members would. Jinki used to have that little boy clinging on to his arm almost like a frightened little lamb thrown into an industry of wolves. But Jinki didn't treat Taemin like a lamb, he took Taemin as a friend, his fellow member.

 

Jinki wasn't the most sociable person himself. He told confusing jokes, he was way too sensitive and emotional, he was afraid of the responsibilities placed on his young shoulders. At a time like this, it was oddly the youngest that allowed him to find himself. With the others, he felt as if he needed to be perfect, that he couldn't make a single mistake. But Taemin knew him well since they were trainees, he knew everything there was to know about Jinki. His all-too-clever jokes, his clumsiness,his sarcasm and sass, his imperfections. But the thing that mattered most was that Taemin had accepted Jinki the way he was - without all the titles of being the eldest of the group, or being the 'gentle' one, or being the leader figure. To Taemin, Jinki was just Jinki and nothing else mattered.

 

Now, Taemin was all grown up and he needed the support of his hyungs less than he did before. It was ironic that Jinki was the one finding himself having to depend on the younger instead. There were times he folded from all the pressures of being the leader. For some reason Taemin would always have the sixth sense to find him then, and simply hold him together again. There was so much he could learn from Taemin now - his determination and hardworking nature, his strong and firm attitude. It wasn't just dance anymore; it went far deeper than that now.

 

"Hyung," Taemin popped his head into the leader's room. After tedious practice and performances, they were gifted with a bigger dorm that allowed for more rooms. Now they didn't stay in a small packed room together anymore but Taemin would still occasionally drop by for a chat. "Ice-cream?" Taemin asked in all innocence.


"Of course," Jinki answered with a wide grin. It was little things like these that let Jinki know that despite all the changes, despite the grown man standing before him, Taemin was still the same Taemin from when they had first met.