Saying Goodbye

Surprisingly Famous

"Evie..." Seunghyun said softly.

"Hmm?"

They were sitting on the couch in front of the small TV that was on mute.  Evie was falling asleep with her head on his shoulder. She had avoided explaining her earlier behavior at every turn so Seunghyun decided not to touch on sensitive issues anymore. It had something to do with her past before he met her, he knew, so he could understand if she didn't want to dwell on it.

"I have to go. It's getting late and I haven't exactly finished packing."

Evie lifted her head and stared at him. "Oh... okay."

They stayed like that for awhile, both of them staring at each other. It was as though they were trying to memorize each other's faces. Eyes, nose, mouth, even the shape of his forehead and jaw. She had never noticed that he had such a nice jawline. Evie broke her gaze first and got up, feeling a little flustered. Was it getting a little hot in here?

"Wait here for a moment. I'm gonna get something from my room. Oh, and your stuff are on the table. You left them here earlier," Evie reminded him. She quickly went into her room and got the bag she was looking for.

"They're for you," Evie thought she heard Seunghyun say.

Coming out of her bedroom, she the bag she was holding towards him. "Here. I got you this. What were you saying just now? I thought I heard you say they were for me," she laughed.

"They are. They're yours. I knew you would never try them on if I had told you from the start that they were to be yours so I lied and said they were for my sister. My sister is a little smaller than you, you know," he said cheekily.

"Ha. Ha. Ha. Very funny. But are you serious? They were pretty expensive. Can you even afford to give me all this?" Evie said incredulously.

He nodded and looked as though all that money was nothing to him. Looking into the bag he was now holding, he put his hand in and pulled out something soft. And black. He held it up and realized what it was.

"A beanie! Thank you, Evie," he said with tears in his eyes. "When did you have time to buy this? Couldn't have been today..."

"I got it yesterday, actually. It was supposed to be a graduation present but a going away one works just as well," she smiled sadly at him.

Seunghyun stepped forward and suddenly hugged her. He had his arms wrapped around her so tight she couldn't breathe. Evie didn't care and hugged him back just as fiercely, tears trailing down her cheeks. 

"Thank you for the presents," she thanked him belatedly with a sniff.

"Never a problem," he replied. Evie liked the way he phrased it. Usually people would say 'no problem' or a simple 'you're welcome' as an automatic reply without really meaning it but this time she knew that Seunghyun was sincere about buying her the clothes and not just an obligation to give her something before he left. Like this, she could accept it with a free heart without feeling she owed him something.

"Thank you for being my friend, Seungie. Always. You've given me back my joy for life," she whispered.

"No, thank you for being my friend, Evie. You became my friend when nobody else would. Without you, I probably would have been in misery all through university." He had smiled when she called him Seungie. She could feel it because his lips were on her head, kissing her hair. Although maybe a little inappropriate for friends, Evie obviously didn't mind. She had a crush on him for goodness sake. If he wanted to be touchy feely, she sure wasn't going to object. She liked the feeling.

After awhile he pulled back from her although he kept his hands around her shoulders, and hers on his waist. 

"You know, we're starting to sound like one of those dramas that your country comes up with so often," Evie said jokingly.

Startled, Seunghyun stared at her and burst out laughing. He ran his fingers through his hair and asked her somewhat nervously, "You watch those?"

She shook her head. "Nope. I don't have the time and I'm pretty sure you know that. Between Psychology, my MBA and French night-classes, I don't have time to much, although French class ended about a week ago."

Seunghyun nodded, recalling all the classes she used to take in first year. Evie knew she was such a geek but she couldn't help it. She hated staying idle. "Right... I really have to go now. I probably won't see you in the morning. So... I guess this is goodbye, Evie Langlen," Seunghyun said sadly. He gently wiped her cheeks of the tears that fell as soon as he said that.

"Goodbye... Choi Seunghyun," she whispered back, staring into his eyes. She wasn't ashamed of her tears. They had been real close and she knew Seunghyun would never know that her tears were actually for more than he thought they were, which was that she was saying goodbye to someone she loved.

He pressed his forehead to hers, staring into her eyes. Then, he took a step back, separating them, then another, and another, and he was gone. Out of her apartment, out of her life. Sure, they could talk online and such but... it wouldn't be the same as having him there physically beside her.

Her heart was hurting but somehow she was glad that she had never confessed to Seunghyun. It would only be a burden to him, knowing that he would be going back to Korea one day while she stayed in America. At least this way, Seunghyun was only leaving a friend behind and not a lover. They each had their own paths to take and this was his. She hadn't decided what she would do in the future but Korea wasn't in her definite plans. It was an option, but not a plan. 

Evie leaned back against the door, eyes dry. Her tears had run out. Having no more tears to cry was a good sign. To move on and to live life.

 

Upstairs, Seunghyun had just entered his own apartment. The apartment that was going to be his for only one more night. His heart was pounding. He had wanted to kiss her. Had nearly kissed her, in fact. In the end, he couldn't do it. Not only was it unfair to Evie to leave her in America while he went back to Korea but long distance relationships were tough and a lot of the times, didn't work. Seunghyun, knowing his about-to-be hectic schedule ahead of him, had a definite feeling that their relationship would never work with thousands of miles separating them. He wouldn't have the time to talk to her as much or give her the attention that was due her when he was going to be so busy back in Korea. He knew he would probably never be able to live outside Korea but maybe, just maybe, she could instead come to Korea. As soon as the idea formed in his head, Seunghyun snatched a pen and a piece of paper and started writing.

_______________________

Short update! I'm so sorry for taking so long to post up one but I wasn't sure what to write for this chapter. It's a pretty boring chapter, I know, but I hope promise you that the story will go faster after this!

Please continue to read, comment and subscribe! Thank youu~  ^^,

Oh. I still want more suggestions on whether she should open a bakery or be a psychologist that YG hires. Yes. I've given you a hint about what would happen if the story goes that way. Please let me know! Preferably not the same people who've already told me what they want. Thankiee!