At the Park

Surprisingly Famous

Evie reached the park and looked around. She was late. Surprisingly she had managed to fall soundly asleep the night before but had ended oversleeping. It was almost 7:30am. Half hoping that Seunghyun had already left so she could have a little more time to process everything, she walked towards the slides and climbed up the steps to sit right at the edge of one the double slides. The park was really more of a playground.

She hugged her coat to her and breathed in the cool air. Thankfully, the sun was up already so it wasn't as cold as it would have been. As late as she had been, she had had only enough time to brush her teeth, tie her hair in a messy knot, pull on her sweats and a big tee and finishing her sloppy look with her sneakers. This was not how she evisioned meeting Seunghyun again. Certainly not looking like this.

A car door slammed nearby and Evie turned her head towards the sound. She saw a figure walking towards the playground from across the road. It was still early and the only people walking about were ajhummas going marketing, so he made a striking picture striding in Evie's direction.

Evie's breath caught. It was Seunghyun and he hadn't left afterall. He was dressed smartly in black pants and a long dark blue coat with black dress shoes. She couldn't see his shirt underneath but she couldn't fail to notice that bright pink scarf that was around his neck and hanging down the front. His silver hair wasn't gelled so it covered his forehead similar to his old hairstyle except a little shorter and neater. Looks like the silver colour was permanent as well.

She stared and absorbed the totally hot image of him coming towards her. She still couldn't see his figure but he was definitely dressed a thousand times better than he had in university. She was willing to bet her that everything on him at that moment was branded. She felt woefully underdressed. Her heart picked up speed as he nearly and she wiped to make sure she wasn't drooling as he stopped at the bottom of the slide, looking up at her.

"Evie... I thought you weren't going to come," he said softly in English.

"I thought of not coming but... here I am." She wasn't going to give him an inch. Despite all that salivating over him, Evie was still angry at him.

Seunghyun sighed and had the decency to look guilty. "Can I come up?"

She nodded. Instead of using the few steps around the back, Seunghyun did the unexpected thing by just walking up the slide next to hers and plopped himself down beside her.

"So..." he said, not knowing where to start.

Evie kept silent. Nope. Not giving an inch. Oh, she knew she'd be forgiving him by the end of their little meeting but at the moment she wanted to make him suffer a little. Not much.

He cleared his throat and shifted uncomfortably. "Uh... I'm guessing you've already Googled and YouTube-d us."

"Nope."

He turned to look at her in surprise. "Chincha?"

"Ne. I was busy yesterday and I forgot about all of it until I saw your email." Only after saying that did Evie realise it was actually true. She had completely forgotten about Seunghyun while working and then during dinner she had been talking to Youngbae.

Evie saw him give a small smile. "What?" She didn't say anything funny, did she?

"It's nothing. It's just that you always do the unexpected. That night, I thought you would recognize me straight away. Then when you left, I was surprised because I was expecting you to confront me. This morning, I thought you wouldn't come and now, you're probably the only one your age in Korea who doesn't know who Bigbang is. See. The unexpected."

Evie kept silent and pondered about what Seunghyun said. It was true. She had been pretty unpredictable and not really herself since she had met that Ajhusshi in Paris. But then again she sort of had an explanation for a behavior. Emotions. It all came down to how she felt. Only now admitting it to herself, she realised that she would never have come to Korea in the first place to open Sweet On You if there hadn't been something to pull her here. And that something was Seunghyun. Whom she loved. You know how they said 'absence made the heart grow fonder'? It was true.

"Evie..." Seunghyun broke the silence.

She turned to look at him fully for the first time since he got here.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. For not telling you, for keeping it a secret for three years, for not emailing you, for not telling you even after I came back to Korea. I'm really sorry for everything that I've done that hurt you."

She had just one word. "Why?"

He knew what she meant. Not why was he sorry but why he had never told her. "When I wanted to go to America to study, my Sajangnim told me that I should keep a low profile th- scratch that. That was just an excuse. Honestly? I wanted to live life the way I hadn't since entering YG, the label that I'm signed with. Anonymously and have friends who liked me for me and not for my connections or money. I didn't tell you because I didn't want it to change our friendship. Maybe I was selfish but I actually liked the way our relationship worked. Just the two of us against the world, or rather the university. For once I could compete with another person purely by my own individual merits and not as a unit."

"What makes you think that our friendship would have changed? Don't you know me enough to know that I don't care about what people are but more of who they are?"

"I do know. I guess I was just... scared. Afraid to take the risk. You were my only friend at Chambourne and I didn't want to jeopardize that," he admitted.

"You could have made other friends."

"Nobody wanted to be friends with a geek."

"Changing your image doesn't seem to be hard for you," she said sarcastically.

"I liked who I was there, Evie," he replied.

"It's easy really. Just go up and say hi to someone and poof! You have a friend," Evie continued as though she didn't hear him.

"BUT I DIDN'T WANT TO!" he yelled. "Aishh. Chincha." He ran his fingers through his hair, messing it up. He had already apologized but it seemed nothing he said could make her forgive him.

Evie was startled into silence. Surely he didn't mean what she thought he meant, right? No, no. It couldn't be. He didn't like her the way she liked loved him. She sighed. She didn't have any anger left in her. It didn't seem like it but it was tough for her to remain angry at anybody at anytime, especially Seunghyun. She looked at him and saw him staring straight with a frown in his face. Oh, that glorious side profile. She what she meant now by 'especially Seunghyun'?

She leaned towards him and rested her head on his shoulder but without their bodies touching. His height was just nice and let her rest her head comfortably without getting a crick in her neck. She felt him jump a little and knew he was looking at her in surprise. After a second or two, he lifted his hand and ruffled her hair a little then draped his arm across her shoulders and shifted a little closer to her.

"Forgive me?" he asked.

Evie nodded her head without lifting it up. "I missed you," she said quietly.

"Me too."

____________________

Wow. It's been almost a month. >< I apologize to all my readers. *bows 90-degrees*