Don't be mad

A new beginning (monstar)

I stared out the window as the wind blew softly through the trees in the small park near my apartment. It was just hard enough to make the leaves dance among the limbs. It was a beautiful day, yet I still felt like I couldn’t enjoy it. As soon as my eyes went level with the buildings, Sungjae face was there along with MIB. As soon as I the T.V, his interviews were on; turn on the radio and his songs were on. I couldn’t get away from him no matter how hard I tried. I hadn’t heard from him in a few weeks. Not since our last conversation at the book store. Secretly I wanted to see or speak to him again, but I didn’t try to force it. I went by the book stores a few random times and he wasn’t there. Seol-Chan had pretty much dropped out of school, he did his work and Se-Yi turned it in, so I was never tempted to ask him about Sungjae.

I lazily looked down at my phone and realized it was time for me to go. Nana had wanted me to meet her at one of her favorite coffee shops. Nana and the girls kept me busy most days recently. I was never home alone to long to have my mind wander too much. I looked around the room slowly as I walked to the door to make sure I didn’t forget anything. I had my purse, wallet, cigarettes, and phone so I shut and locked the door behind me.

                When I reached the coffee shop I peered in, but I could see my group had not arrived yet. So, I sat at a table outside waiting for her to come down the street. I turned against the wind to light a cigarette and heard someone sit down at the table. I assumed it was Nana so I smiled widely up towards her when I finally was able to light my cigarette. My body tensed at the face staring at me. It wasn’t Nana, it wasn’t even a her for that matter.

                I sat on the bench smoking a cigarette. I could feel my lip swelling and my knuckles itching from the scabs forming over the fresh cuts. This was my last time I kept telling myself over and over. I didn’t want to do this anymore. I wanted to make something out of myself and this was the last time. I would tell him even if he didn’t want to hear it. I took a long drag of my cigarette as music began to pour out of the bar’s side door. He quickly shut the door and the music disappeared once again. I watched him walk towards me. What I once thought was grace and power just seemed to be ego and ignorance. He walked with a strut like he owned the entire city and everyone in it. On this side of the neighborhood, he pretty much did but I wasn’t going to be here for much longer. He was the biggest boss in this country but he didn’t scare me anymore. He could bleed just like everyone else could.

                I pulled out the money just as he sat down on the bench. I handed it to him and waited while he counted it.  I didn’t need him to tell me it was correct, I had already counted it three times to make sure. I wanted it to be right so that I could get straight to what I really needed to talk to him about. When he was finished he shoved the money into his pocket and leaned back to smile at me.

                “I got another one if you want it” He said smiling at me. I know I had already told him before that this would be my last job but he either forgot or didn’t believe me. It was probably a mixture of both.

                “I’m done Jason. Don’t  call me anymore, don’t ask around for me, don’t do anything that concerns me. I’m done” I said slowly and clearly so he would get the hint. He laughed. I rolled my eyes and stood up. There was no point in trying to get through him; I knew from the beginning it was a waste of time. As I took a step away, he grabbed my arm roughly. Without thinking, I turned and kneed him in the side while shoving his hand away. He grabbed to the bench to stop from landing on the ground. He looked up at me full of rage.

                “Didn’t I just tell you to not do anything that concerns me? Grabbing me is included in that… do it again and I’ll break your hand” I said more fiercely than I felt. I knew one on one I could take him easily but I also knew he could call any amount of people to jump on me at once.

                “We will see how long you stay away…you will be back like the rest of them” He said standing up slowly and dusting himself off. Without another word, he turned and walked back towards the bar.

                The memory flashed in my head as my body switched from a relax position to a tense ready to pounce position. It wasn’t Jason who was looking at me thought it was Jason’s right hand man and my old friend. He had a handsome face and always wore this smirk on his face that most girls consider charming. He was the man that had made me who I was today. He was the one who taught me how to fight, how to lie, how to be fearless and he was also the person who introduced me to Jason.

                “What do you want?” I said harsher than I meant too. He leaned back and looked at me surprisingly.

                “Is that a way to greet an old friend?” He said that smirk still planted on his face. I leaned back in my chair and took a drag of my cigarette before answering.  It was hard to trust anyone from my past. They knew all my dirty little secrets and I had come to realized most of them just wanted something from me. Even though we had hung out a lot and he had never really done anything against me, he was still Jason’s biggest pet and I knew Jason wasn’t my friend anymore.

                “Sorry, hello L. How are you?” I said with sarcasm. I knew he could handle my sarcastic self and honestly if I had acted any differently he would think something was wrong.

                “I’m fine. Miss you of course… How are you?” He said with an almost pouty face. I rolled my eyes.

                “I’m great…now seriously what do you want? Why are you here?” I said with an almost sigh. I felt my body relax as I looked around and didn’t see anyone I recognized. It was almost like he was alone. I was sure he wasn’t but I was also sure he wouldn’t make a scene in public…hopefully.

                “I heard you came back to the neighborhood. Was just checking on you? Wondering if you needed anything” He said leaning towards me resting his face on his hand. I raised an eyebrow at him and shook my head.

                “You’re so full of , you know that?” I said almost laughing. He smiled up at me.

                “It’s the truth. Why else would I come all the way here?” He said crossing his arms and leaning back. I took another drag off my cigarette.

                “I’m meeting up with some people, you should go. I’m fine. I don’t need anything” I said waiting for him to threaten me or receive a threat from Jason. All he did was smile and stand up.

                “Well, you know where I am if you ever need anything. I’m usually always around” He said with his smirk on his face before he walked away. I waited for him to turn around. I knew that couldn’t be all of it. I was still looking in his direction when Nana and Se-Yi sat down at the table.

                “What did he want?” Nana asked worried.

                “To check in, apparently.” I said still watching him cross the street and get into a black SUV.  “Wait, that was too perfect of timing where you watching us?”

                “Yeah, from a shop down. I don’t know if he saw us or not but we were pretending to window shop” Nana said waving towards a waitress.

                “Where is Eun-Ha?” I asked after we gave a drink orders. Se-Yi placed her arms on the table and looked at me.

                “She’s coming, just had to stop and pick something up.” She said almost tired like.

                “Are you okay?” I asked smiling towards her.

                “Don’t be mad” She said suddenly. Nana gave her the meanest look and then quickly looked away.

                “What?” I asked wondering what the two were planning.

                “Hey” Eun-Ha said cheerfully just as I went to open my mouth to ask what they were talking about again. She sat down quietly and I smiled to greet her but then turned back to Se-Yi.

                “Don’t be mad about what?” I asked starting to get worried.

                “Se-Yi!” Eun-Ha almost screamed across the table.

                “We want to go to a meet and greet and we weren’t going t tell you but I feel so wrong not telling you about it…please don’t be mad” Se-Yi said in a girly voice. Nana rolled her eyes and Eun-Ha sank in her chair desperately.

                “What?” I said more confused.

                “They are going to an MIB meet and greet and were worried about telling you…I told them not to and that you wouldn’t care but there was also no point in bringing it up” Nana said just as the waitress brought out the drink order. She looked at the three of us strangely but took Eun-Ha drink order all the same.

                “Why would I care?” I said still surprised they thought I would be upset.

                “Well Sungjae is going to be there” Eun-Ha said quietly. I looked at her like she had lost her mind.

                “If I was worried about you seeing him, I would tell you not to walk out your front door..he is everywhere. I don’t care if you go see him” I said almost laughing. “Where is it anyways?” That question seemed to throw them off their game. They looked at each other and then back towards me. I just shrugged and took a sip of my coffee waiting for them to answer.

                “It’s today at the auditorium. We were going to go after we met up with you…of course if you didn’t mind” Eun-Ha said pulling out the tickets. There was three of them. I looked towards Nana who was eyeing me.

                “You’re going too?” I asked surprised. She shrugged and grabbed the ticket.

                “If you had something planned, I figured why not” She said leaning back in her chair still eyeing me strangely “But if not, I wouldn’t go. It wouldn’t hurt just to have a ticket in case.”

                “We actually should be going..there was already a line waiting to get in” Eun-Ha said looking towards Se-Yi. She nodded slowly and stood up. I smiled at them and said goodbye and to have fun. I tried to convince them I really didn’t care as they walked away.

                “You’re not going?” I said leaning back in the chair towards Nana as the girls walked away.

                “When have I ever gone to a meet and greet” She said laying the ticket in front of me “It’s for you, in case you wanted to go. They aren’t done by seat numbers just first come first serve so you could wait go late and sit in the back.” I laughed and rolled my eyes.

                “What would make you think I would want to go?” I asked looking back towards her.

                “Because I know you, I got to go. I have stuff to work on. It’s your decision if you go or not. Text me later” She said standing up and walking away. I nodded and looked down towards the ticket. I picked it up slowly. It was a simple piece of paper with the date and time the event started. I laid it back down because it felt like it weighed a ton. I my teeth. What should I do? Should I go?

                Thirty minutes passed and the waitress had cleared off the table all except for the ticket. I grabbed the ticket and stood up walking towards the event. A peek wouldn’t hurt anyone right?