the first date

A new beginning (monstar)

I looked at myself in the mirror. Nana stepped in the mirror behind me. She smiled a genuine smile at me. I had always loved her smiles; the ones which caused her eyes to squint just a bit to show it was real. She rarely ever showed them.

“You look great, he will love you” Nana whispered encouragingly in my ear. I nodded and grabbed my purse. I told her I would call her if anything went wrong which she responded with she would be waiting.

“Call me when it’s over” She said almost excited for me. I nodded and ran out the door. I only had ten minutes to before we were supposed to meet at the bookstore. I walked quickly to afraid to actually run. I didn’t want to ruin Nana’s masterpiece. I walked up the stairs to our normal spot slowly trying not to seem to desperate. He was standing next to the window looking out. I hope he didn’t see me running.

“Hey” I said after a moment of him not turning towards me. He turned quickly to face me. His mouth dropped a little as he looked me up and down.

“You look wonderful” He said almost breathless. I blushed drastically and looked down at my hands. After a second, I looked up at him. He was wearing a nice shirt and semi-loose fitting jeans with a fitted jacket. He looked exactly like he always look and then it hit me. I had never seen him in a school uniform.

“Where do you go to school?” I asked before really thinking.

“What?” He said laughing. “I give you a compliment and you ask what school I go to”

“No, it’s just well…I’ve never seen you in a uniform before” I said running a hand nervously through my hair.

“Well, I don’t really go to school. I have a home tutor” He said putting his hands behind his back a smile on his face.

“Oh” I said feeling shy all of a sudden.

“So are you ready?” He said softly.

“Yep, what are we doing?” I asked quickly.

“You’ll see, let’s go” he said walking towards me. As I turned around, he put his hand on my lower back as if to guide me to the front door. We exited the store waving bye to the owner. I stopped not sure which direction to turn. I saw a black tented car to our right. I tensed up and tried to go to the left. I wasn’t sure what was in there, and didn’t want to find out. He grabbed my hand though and led me straight to the car.

“What are we doing?” I asked quietly looking at the car nervously. He looked between the car and I not sure why I seemed to be scared.

“This is my ride, umm…it’s taking us to our date” He said quietly opening the car door. He looked at me strangely as I slowly entered in the car just waiting for a gangster to jump out. I sled over as SungJae enter beside me.

“Is everything okay?” He asked buckling his seatbelt.

“The car just reminds me of…” I couldn’t finish. I didn’t want him to know why I didn’t like black tented cars. He waited for me to answer but I just shook my head avoiding the question.

“Well..umm…” He started not sure what to say.

“Sorry, It’s nothing…”I said softly. I couldn’t believe I was already ruining this date and it hadn’t even began.

“just kind of one of those I fell down tales and I’ll eventually tell you when the time is right..” he said with a smirk on his face. I couldn’t help but smile up at him. I nodded slowly and leaned back in the seat relaxing.

“Where are we going?” I said looking out the window not sure where we were going.

“It’s a surprise” He said smiling towards me. He softly touched my hand as he spoke and I thought I would melt in that spot. I wanted to grab his hand and hold it all night but I reframed myself. We drove far away from the city into the country side. We finally pulled off the road down a dirt road. When we arrived we were beside a pond with a wooden table next to it filled with food. SungJae got out of the car and walked around to open my car door. I was in shock. I was so surprise I didn’t know what to say or do. I looked up to see him smiling widely. He bent down and grabbed my hand pulling me out of the car.

“Why?” I asked not feeling like I deserve this much treatment especially for the first date.

“Because you’re…you see me for me and nothing else and I appreciate that” He said slowly as we walked to the table. I stopped and looked up at him. I knew any minute I would be waking up from this dream.

“But I don’t know if you see me for me…you don’t know my past” I said slowly. I didn’t want to ruin this fantasy but I couldn’t let him treat me so well and him not know the truth. He continued to the table pulling me along.

“Isn’t that what a date is for? To get to know each other?” He said smiling. I laughed at the thought that I had said the exact same thing to Seol-Chan a few days ago. I nodded and then we sat and talked. We ate and talked. We laughed and talked. I didn’t want the evening to ever end. I told him about my childhood, about my fighting, about the bets, about my boss, about wanting a new life. He told me about his parents, about his childhood and sister, about how much he loved music, and how sometimes he worried about the industry. As the sun went down, I felt myself falling for him. I just wanted to look into his eyes forever. The way they disappeared when he laughed to hard or the way they shimmered when he talked about music.

I knew the night had to come to an end but I still didn’t want it to. SungJae held my hand as we walked up to my little shack. I had wanted him to drop me off at the bookstore but he insisted on walking through the alley ways to take me home. His driver walked a bit ways away from us.

“Does he always follow you?” I whispered leaning against SungJae arm as we walked. He looked back and sighed.

“Yeah, he doesn’t like for me to walk around in dark by myself” He whisper back leaning down a little. I stood straighter up as we arrived in front of my house. I took a step up so that I was now at eye level with SungJae. He look towards the driver and nodded his head back which cause the driver to take a few steps back and turned around.

“I had a wonderful time today” He said smiling up at me. I nodded smiling too not sure if I should say goodnight yet or not.

“We should defiantly do it again sometime” I said hoping he would say yes.

“What about this Saturday?”He said edging forward a little.

“Umm, I have something at three which I don’t know how long it will be, but I can text you afterwards” I said so happy he was ready to see me so soon.

“Sounds like a plan” He said nodding and edging forward a little more. Before I knew it his lips were on mine. I was taken by surprise but quickly wrapped my arms around his neck pulling him closer. We kissed for a few minutes and I finally tore apart from him.

“You should go” I said looking up at his driver who still had his back to us. He nodded and dropped his arms from around me but grabbing my hands.

“Let me know when you arrive home” I said still holding his hand. He kissed them both before he stepped away from me. He took a few steps back still facing before waving and running to his driver. I smiled watching him go until they finally were out of sight. It was official even though it was the first date. I had fallen for him.