Afterword

I Wish You Were Here

afterword; 

                  100 days

Image

»  A car honk goes off outside and I yell out my room that it was for me. Grabbing my blue jean backpack, I ran out my room and hopped down the stairs, taking two at a time. I hover in the kitchen, debating whether I should bring two muffins for the day but decide against it when the car honk goes off again.

"Aish, go on out and take him away. He'll wake the whole neighborhood before you're gone," my dad mutters from where he sat in the living room, leafing through the mornings newspaper that was delivered around fifteen minutes ago. On the cover, was EXO's Baekhyun holding hands with some girl with her face blurred out, reading the familiar headline of the dating scandal. Shaking my head at the ridiculous stories photographers were polling out there's day, I head for the door, converse in hand.

"I'm going now," I call as I slip on my shoes and open the door. a faint wind greets me, reminding that summer was coming to an end and school would be starting again soon. Imagine! Me! A senior.

"Have fun," my mom chirps as Sabrina skips down the stairs. She peeks her head through the railings and stares at me wide eyed.

"Can I come with you guys? Oppa said he'd take me out for ice cream one day," she eagerly asks as I step outside.

"Sorry, Sabrina. Today it's just us two today. Maybe next time, okay?" She pouts and I take the chance to shout one last goodbye before closing the door behind me. I was glad my boyfriend and younger sister had grown a well developed relationship (no matter how annoying the two could be together). In fact, he got along with everyone fairly well.

"Come on, slow poke!"

"I'm coming, I'm coming," I exclaimed, running down the driveway and approached the black Mercedes, sun roof down. Doyoon grinned at me from behind the ray bands as I hopped in the car, flinging my bag in the backseat before I pulled the seatbelt across my chest. "Alright, alright, I'm here. Where to, sir?"

"It's a surprise," he said, pulling back the shift stick before we rolled off my street.

"I still can't believe your manager let you borrow his Mercedes," i said, shaking my head in disbelief.

"It's amazing how good I am at convincing people." He throws me a flirty wink and I roll my eyes, staring out the window as he took us to wherever his surprise was.

It's been a roughly year since I found out about Doyoon being an idol and all. We kept it on friends basis till winter break, where Doyoon handed me a list of things he wanted for Christmas - the first thing on the list, me. I laughed it off, claiming that I was already his but he insisted he wanted something more, to be more. And so, we launched Doyoon and Lisa, take two. We've been dating ever since.

Sure, it's twice as hard since we admitted to dating each other. Sasaeng fans, paparazzi - we've seen it all. I don't think it really matters (although maybe it does because I've had a few death threats sent to me) because even though we have some people trying to bring us down, there are also plenty of people supporting us. We have our friends and family and his real fans, Doyoon likes to say, leaves him tweets and messages with words of encouragement. I try to look at the bigger picture though, which is HEY, I'M DATING JANG DOYOON, MY BEST FRIEND. I don't think it gets any better than that. Of course, we get followed here and there often and it's hard to maintain a private relationship but Doyoon says that just gives him a better way of showing off his 'wonderful girlfriend'. I think he's just exaggerating.

"Hey, did you hear of the whole scandal with Baekhyun sunbaenim?" Doyoon asks, glancing at me for a second before looking back to the road.

"With his new female friend?" I ask and he nods. "Yeah, I bet they're going tough on him. I hear SM has a really strict rule on dating. "

"They do," he replies, turning his steering wheel. "You know, if they really are dating."

"Right, if they're dating,"

Due to our whole little 24 hour trial of people spreading rumors way too fast in the business, Doyoon and I try to keep a light mind, trying not to follow everything the articles or entertainment news say. My thoughts come to a halt, however, when Doyoon pulls into the parking lot of our old elementary school. It still looks the same - same old white bricks and shining windows. I hadn't come around for years but I still didn’t understand why we were here.

"Hey, this is our elementary school," I said, tugging my sight from the window to look at Doyoon who only smiles in return. "Doyoon…what are we doing here?"

"You'll see," he sings, pulling into a parking spot. Parking the car, he gets out, leaving me watching him circle the car to get to my car door. "Come on. Out and about, m'lady."

I scoffed, rolling my eyes but obeyed, swinging my legs over the edge of the car seat and hopped out. M'lady. I'm about to start walking when Doyoon holds out his arm, not letting me past. I give him a look as he dangles a bandana in front of my face, smirking. "You're kidding," I say once I realize what he's thinking. I knew there had to be a con to the whole 'm'lady' thing.

"Sorry to say that I, in fact, am not. Come on, we haven't got all day."

"I swear, if you're planning to kidnap me - "

"Oh, darn. You know me so well," he replies sarcastically as he gestures for me to turn around and I sigh, groaning as I did, closing my eyes. However, I don't feel a bandana cover my eyes. Instead, I feel a chain is placed on my chest, a glimmering charm on the end. I held the charm, the word dream shining in the morning light. I turn around and give Doyoon a look of disbelief but he only grins back. "Do you like it? I saw it at the mall a few days ago and I thought of you because you always believed in me, Lisa. Even when I didn't believe in myself."

I stare at him for a moment before breaking out in a smile, reaching over and punched him lightly. "Babo. You're always so cliché."

He grins, before tugging on my arm. "Okay, wait, there's more to the surprise. Come, follow me." At this point, there really was no point to argue so I link arms with him as he leads me to his surprise.

 

Image

I don't know why I didn't see it coming. But then again, I didn't realize he was pulling the Hannah Montanna trick on me till weeks later. So, here we stood, at the back of the field, crotched in front of the small hole in the fence. "Come on," Doyoon says for the fifth hundredth time today. "Crawl through. The surprise is on the other end."

"Doyoon," I hissed, nervously glancing around. "I told you before this was private property. We shouldn't be here."

"Yeah, but you also said that this was our place, remember?"

"I was childish and naive back then," I argued. "Can we just go to a park or something?"

He sighs, throwing his head back. "Fine. At least go help me pack up the picnic I laid out for us."

I smile at him, guilt panging in my chest. However, the guilt wasn't strong enough for me to stay and end up in jail. "Alright."

I crawl through the small hole, Doyoon not far behind me and stand on top of the hill, staring down at the field. It was all still the same - daisies growing from left to right, spreading across everywhere. I smile at the past memories I had made here as Doyoon tugs on my hand. "You really are slow today," he complains and I make a face, following him to clean up his picnic relocate.

However, once we reach the carpet, Doyoon sits down and starts eating, popping a few grapes into his mouth before grinning cheekily at me. "We can't clean if you're … " My voice trails off as Doyoon raises his eyebrows, continuing to eat and I sigh. "We're not leaving, are we?"

"No, we are not."

Reluctantly, I sit down next to him and watch him munch on grapes, spitting out the skin. "That's weird. Why do you spit out the skin? I've seen the other members do it too," I pointed out, frowning. He shrugs before looking up at me. He doesn't say anything, just stares. I can't help but make a face, a small smile on my lips. "Whaaaaat?" I whined.

Suddenly, he sits up straight and cups my cheek and brings his lips to mine. I'm caught off guard, surprised and don't know what to do. Yes, it was true, after all the times we've seen each other, we haven't yet to share a kiss. And now! Now we were! I stare at Doyoon, eyes shut, his lashes fluttering. What a beauty. He looked so angelic…but slowly, I feel my eyes start to close as well and my lips start to move along with his.

When he pulls apart, he's grinning, a smirk I wish to wipe off (with another kiss, maybe?). "That was way long overdue," he states simply. "I'd say happy 100th day, but we already missed that day by a couple hundred, don't you think?"

"Hand me a sandwich," I mumbled, ignoring him as my cheeks flared a bright pink.

He only laughs and kisses me again.

 

Image

What's a soul mate? It's like a best friend but more. It's the one person in the world who knows you better than anyone else. It's someone who makes you a better person. Actually, they don't make you a better person. You do that yourself because they inspire you. A soul mate is someone who you can carry with you forever. It’s the one person who knew you and accepted you and believed in you before anyone else did or when no one else would.

And, no matter what happens, you'll always love them.

 

 

 AUTHOR'S NOTES 

make sure to check out my one shot collection and a new fanfic that i'll be starting called mixtape featuring soonyoung :~)