Chapter Thirteen

I Wish You Were Here

chapter thirteen; 

                  new challenge

Image

» "HE WHAT?"

I grimaced at Bella as I closed my bedroom door behind me, flopping onto the bed. "I don't even understand what happened," I said into the phone receiver. "It was all so quick."

I stood at the bus stop till Doyoon's bus was out of sight before walking back home, trying to collect my thoughts. As if Bella knew, my cell phone rang once I entered the house. I said hello to my parents, told them I was home before I picked up the call. Immediately, I told Bella what happened and now, well now she was freaking out more than I was.

She lets out another scream before pausing to take a breath. "Okay, okay, wait, wait, wait, what did he say again?"

I sighed, pausing to rewind and think. "Uh, Lisa I think I'm crushing on you, or something like that."

"Daebak!" She exclaims, letting out a sigh. "So now what?"

I frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Well, where do you guys lie now?"

I flipped onto my back, staring up at the ceiling. "It wasn't exactly a confession, was it? I mean, he said he thinks. He's not totally sure himself. Plus, if it was, it was a totally crappy way of doing it." I groaned. "I don't know, I'll see how it is tomorrow. If he doesn't bring it up, neither will I."

"One question, do you like Doyoon?"

"Wh - what?" I stammer, blinking several times as I kept my eyes still on the ceiling.

"Do you feel the same way about him the way he feels about you?" Her voice is full of curiosity. Bella was my best friend and the least I could do was tell her the truth.

"You know what, Bella? I really don't know," I sighed, picking a strand of my hair with my empty right hand and studied it for split ends.

"You'll know soon enough." She lets out a low whistle. "Do you know what's happening right now?"

"Someone has a crush on me, that's all," I replied, making a face as I let the strand go. There's static on the other end and you can hear Bella yell something before returning to the call.

"No, Lisa. Not just someone. An idol."

"He's still human, Bells." I closed my eyes for a moment and thought. If Doyoon was to confess to me properly what would I say? What would I do? How would he even confess? Would it be in front of a large group of people? Would he even confess at all? I let out a annoyed sighed, rubbing my eyes. "So, we're going to the mall tomorrow?"

"Ne, unless something else better comes up." She pauses, pondering on her thoughts. "Hey, maybe that's what Doyoon and Jordan were talking about. You know, when they were whispering and all. About his confession," Bella suddenly pips up.

"Maybe." My mom suddenly calls for me downstairs and I tell Bella that I'll see her tomorrow before hanging up.

 

Image

» "I really don't think your dad would like New Challenge as a gift, Bella," I said, making a face as she held the blue album in her hand. "I think maybe he'd prefer something else."

She traces the infinite logo before laughing, looking over to me. "Well, why not the album? Everyone loves Infinite."

"Including your dad?"

She shrugs, placing the album back on the shelf. "You never know. If he complains about not getting New Challenge, I'm pointing my finger at you. You will be at blame."

I rolled my eyes, throwing my hands in the air as we exited the music store. "If that's what it takes, so be it."

Saturday morning had rolled around before I knew. I woke with a heavy mind and it seemed as if Bella knew because she was being more talkative than usual, trying to take my mind off of it. It was approximately 2PM and we'd been in the mall for about an hour. So far, we hadn't found anything for Bella's dad but we held several bags in our hands with things for ourselves. I felt guilty that we were spending so much money on ourselves when we were here for another reason.

"Hey, why don't we just go old school and get him a tie or mug or something?" I asked desperately.

She snaps her fingers, "good point."

She tugs me towards the store a few steps down and we enter, looking for a blue tie and white mug. She scans the rows for the tie while I look for the mug, preferably with the words 'Dad' on it when suddenly my phone vibrates from my pocket. I take it out to see a recently added contact had texted me and opened the message.

2:43PM Doyoon:  Hello, it's Doyoon~ I'll come by around 5 if that's okay? 

I fumbled with the keys as I replied back, making Bella glance up in surprise. "Who are you texting? Is it Jordan?"

I shake my head, holding the phone up for her to see. "Doyoon. He's asking when he should come." I continue texting him, telling him that five was fine before shoving my phone back in my pocket, still looking for a mug for Bella's father. I examine the shelves, passing by mugs with '#1 Mom', 'Coffee Time', and many other sayings but not one for Dad. At 3, we finally call it quits, leaving the store with a baby blue tie but no mug. We ride the bus home with Bella going over fashion tips for a first date and me telling her that it wasn’t a date several times.

I finally stepped off the bus, walking home to find it deserted once again. Was I the only one in the family who didn't have a fantastic social life? I smiled at myself, walking upstairs and climbing into the shower to get ready for 17TV. The mirror grows foggy when I step out, my body and hair wrapped in a towel. I wipe across the mirror, making a silly face at myself before getting dressed. I consider Bella's tips every once in a while but throw on a grey American Eagle t-shirt and blue Hollister shorts instead, deciding to go casual. I would be behind cameras and just meeting a few people - no need to dress over the top.

When I step out of the washroom, drying my hair, I see that I have three missed text messages.

4:02PM Doyoon: I'm leaving Pledis to come pick you up now~

4:08PM Doyoon: Aish I missed the bus ㅠㅠ

4:17PM Doyoon: I'm on the bus now and there is a weird man sitting next to me ㅋㅋㅋ

I shook my head at how weird Doyoon could be. I asked him where he was before returning to the washroom to dry my hair with a blow-dryer to pass time. I turn off the blow dryer just as my phone pings. I glance at myself in the mirror again, making sure I looked somewhat decent, then grabbed my phone to see it blinking a red light. I opened the text message, already knowing who it was from.

5:03PM Doyoon: I'm on your doorstep right now~

Just as I finish the end of the text, the doorbell rings. I smile to myself before grabbing my bag and shoving my phone into it, running downstairs. I peek in the eyehole (you should all know why by now), seeing a familiar brunette on my doorstep before swinging the door open to his grinning face. I smiled, glancing at the clock in my house before stepping outside.

"You're a little late. It's 5:04," I teased, locking the door before turning around to face him.

He shrugs, a smirk sitting comfortably on his lips. "I took my time to walk to your house from the bus stop."

We started to make our way to the bus stop, side by side. I try not to think too much about yesterday and act as normal as possible. I was doing fine so far, right? But one wrong word or action from Doyoon and I'd lose it. Will he bring it up again today? Aish, really! Doyoon knew how to play with my mind! He suddenly nudges me from the side and I glance at him, surprised and afraid that he had heard my thoughts. (But that was silly, of course).

"Sorry, what did you say?" I asked, cocking my head to the side.

"I asked what you and Bella did today. Didn't the two of you say you were going to the mall?"

"Oh, uh, yes. We went as planned. We got her dad a tie." I bit my lip, glancing around the sky to avoid his eyes. It was clear today, not a cloud in sight, leaving the sky looking similar to the sea. Reminding not to let my thoughts drift, I took a deep breath and look over to him again, trying my best to smile casually. "We were planning to get him a mug as well but there weren't any that suited to occasion."

He laughs, shaking his head. "You guys are real money spenders."

"Hey, the tie alone was around twenty 28000 won," I pointed out. "What, is that not good enough for your rich pocket, oppa?" I asked teasingly, poking him by his sides.

"Oppa?" He repeats, smirking again with a raised eyebrow.

I looked at him with wide eyes before looking straight ahead again, my cheeks flushing red. "Sorry, I didn't mean - it just slipped out. Sorry."

"No, no," he quickly reassures. "I was just surprised. You never called me oppa before, that's why."

I nodded slowly as we neared the bus stop. Hopefully the bus would come soon. A awkward silence hangs in the air as I tightly hold onto the straps of my backpack, trying not to beat myself to the pulse. Why did I call him oppa?! Maybe it was out of respect, but I never called him that before, so why now? Oh god, what if he thinks I called him that because of what happened yesterday? Does he think I like him? Even worse, what if it was just a joke and he thinks I took him seriously? I cringed, grimacing at my foolishness. Babo.

"So!" I exclaimed, turning around to him with an overly excited voice. I tried not to cringe again, shaking off my feelings. "What's going to happen during 17tv today?"

"Um, mostly practicing probably." He pauses to think, yawning. "Maybe a game after? I don't know, it's up to PD-nim. You know how they are."

I nodded as if I understood when really, I did not. Not really. How was I supposed to know how PD's are? I never met one in my entire life. How was I supposed to know what being an idol was like? I was a regular teenage girl - what was I even doing hanging out with Doyoon? We practically lived in two different worlds. Or did we? Weren't we in the same world now? I don’t know, my head was starting to hurt again. I should stop asking myself so many questions that I didn't know answers to.

I glanced at my watch, frowning. Aish, where was that bus?

"Lisa, about yesterday…"

I shut my eyes, grimacing. He's bringing up that subject again.

"Hmm?" I tear my eyes from the roads and look up at him. It's his turn to look at the cement as we continue our walk.

"I really meant what I said," he finally says, breathing out. "It wasn't a joke or anything, I really like you. I think I liked you since first grade - uh, first day. It just took me a while to figure it out and confess. But if you don't feel the same way, it's fine. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable or anything."

I gave him a meek smile, rubbing the back of my neck. "Aish, you're too much, Doyoon-ah. I'm not uncomfortable." Okay, maybe that was a small white lie but it was a really, really small one. "As for feeling the same way…" My voice drifted off.

Alright, Lisa Kwang. What'll be the verdict?

Truth was, Doyoon was mad cute. He was funny, caring and thoughtful. Also kind! Doyoon was kind as well! And he was friendly and got off with Bella and…somewhat gets along with Jordan…but let's be real, it doesn't seem Jordan doesn't get along with anyone. And, heck, it was worth a shot, right?

"I think," I paused, taking a breath. "I think we should give it a try," I concluded, smiling at him warmly.

He looks at me surprised. "Really?"

I shrugged. "Yeah, why not? Might as well, right?"

He smiled at me just as a bus pulled up, thankfully giving me an exit to the conversation. I climbed onto the bus, my heart fluttering and my stomach weak. So, what now? Were me and Doyoon 'going out'? The bus lurched, making me bump into Doyoon from behind. He reaches out to catch me, his left arm supporting me with his right holding onto a pole. My head landed comfortably on his chest before looking up at him, causing me to blush furiously. I quickly pulled myself up, keeping my head down as I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear. It was too soon for this!

My phone suddenly pings from my bag and I reach behind to grab it, thankful for a distraction. Bella's number appears as the bus lurches forward, taking it towards Pledis Entertainment.

5:32PM Bella: Did Doyoon show up yet? Have fun on your date 

I shook my head, a smile creeping onto my face as I texted back.

5:32PM You: Ne, he did                                                                                                                                                                                  

5:32PM You: We're already on the bus                                                                                                               

5:32PM You: And how many times do I have to say it's not a date? =_=

5:33PM Bella: kekekeke it seems like a date to me

5:33PM Bella: Ah, really? Did he bring up last night??                      

I glanced over to Doyoon to check if he was reading my conversation over my shoulder only to find that I had worried about nothing. Instead, he was staring aimlessly out the bus window, squinting at a tree. As if he knew I was looking at him, he looks over, smiling again.

"What are you looking at?" I asked.

"I think there's a bird nest up there," he exclaims, looking back at the tree. I gave him a amused, yet confused look before going back to my phone. He seemed to get more cuter as the seconds went by.

5:34PM You: Ne, he did before the bus came. He did it more properly this time! 

5:36PM Bella: Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Really!!!!!!! What did you say?? 

5:37PM You: I think we are dating now? I don’t know??    

5:37PM Bella: Aish, babo, how do you not know =_=               

5:37PM You: I'll call you tonight, ok? ^^               

5:37PM Bella: You better!                   

5:39PM Bella: Ahhhhh, my best friend has left me for her boyfriend ㅠㅠ                   

I shook my head at her sillyness before I shove my phone back in my pocket as Doyoon nudges me from the side. "We're going to get off now." I nodded, following after him as he hopped off. He started to walk down the street so I quickly followed after him, walking by his side again. "Do you want to get some ice cream before going to Pledis?"

I nodded excitedly. "Ne, that sounds nice."

"Let me guess your favourite ice cream flavor." He pretends to think, holding a hand to his chin as he stared up at the sky. "Vanilla? You look like a vanilla kind of girl."

I shake my head amused. "Ani, guess again."

"Okay, I got this. Double chocolate chip!" He exclaims, looking at me with a wide grin.

"Ani, wrong again," I sung, skipping in front of him.

He quickly catches up to me, thinking again before holding up a finger. "Oh, I know." He leans in, his lips to my ear before he whispers, "the taste of my sweet kiss maybe?"

I blink. His…sweet kiss…? "Aish, really, Doyoon-ah!" I shout, shoving him away as my cheeks flush red. How could he say such thing?!

He laughs, ruffling my hair. "Ah, you're too much, Jagi-ah." He continues walking whereas my feet are frozen on the ground.

Jagi? "Yah, did you just call me jagi?" I shout after him.

"Ne, we're dating, are we not?" He shouts over his shoulder.

Yeesh, he sure got cocky really fast. I shook my head, laughing as I ran to catch up with him as he pushed open the ice cream shop door and we both walked into the cool air conditioned store.

 

Image

 AUTHOR'S NOTES 

the chapters are beginning to get longer arent they ://// i dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing omf 

if you guys wanna hit me up on my social sites, my tumblr is  woohyunized and my twitter is bigtimegross !