Weakness

I'm Taking You Back

With just a whiff of cool air, Jihyun’s grip on the folder tightened. She never forgot the scent of perfume. It was too sweet that the hair on the back of her neck stood up. ‘This can’t be…’

Hani saw her keeping her head down and staring blankly at her notes. She held her shoulder and squeezed it for comfort. “T-The representatives from Brands Advertising are here…”

Two males and a female in between them stood in front of the table and bowed. “Annyeong haseyo…”

Although there were three voices, Jihyun’s ears picked up only one husky voice. The reality sunk into her system and all she could ever do was accept it. ‘This is business Jihyun! Just business!’

It was getting eerily silent so she stood and bowed. “Annyeong haseyo…” she came back up facing them and has her attention at the female.

Minjun was in complete disbelief. It’s as if he was looking at a ghost that he just stood frozen and motionless.

However, he was nothing compared to Jaejoong who felt like his soul escaped his body. He literally shut down and stared at her as long as he can. For so many years, he never wanted to look at a person that way. He didn’t know how to react but just stare at her and let his eyes wander at the girl who turned his world upside down.

Jihyun reached out a hand. “I’m Ahn Jihyun. It’s a pleasure meeting all of you…”

“Hi! I’m Tiffany Hwang!” they shook hands. “This is Song Minjun, our secretary…” she introduced. “And this is Kim Jaejoong…”

Jihyun shifted to him and their eyes met. He was handsome as he can be and they were locked to each other just like that as if everyone disappeared.

Her legs were shaking like a leaf and literally felt nauseous. It was jarring because all the feelings came back, both good and bad.  It made her realize that she wasn't 100% over him which she thought she was.

Tiffany noticed them so she acted in instinct. “He’s my business partner… and boyfriend…”

Jihyun wanted to physically die, disappear into thin air, get stabbed by a criminal and bleed to death just so she won’t have to interact with any of them. Its bitterness and jealousy rolled into one.

She didn't know where she got the strength from but she avoided Jaejoong’s gaze and pretended they're just normal people who needed a favor from her. No emotion at all. “Please take a seat!” she said.

When all of them got settled, Minjun handed Hani their portfolio who later gave it to Jihyun. “How long have you been in the advertising business?” she asked while reading.

“Three years!” Tiffany answered confidently.

“But that’s short!”

“Indeed! But we always belonged to the top tier!”

During all those time, Jaejoong couldn’t leave his eyes off of Jihyun. He spent desperate years to run into her and it never happened. He looked for her any way he can. It even came to a point that he was like some psychotic stalker just to find her. ‘Those lips were mine. Those hands I only held. That face I always touched… You have my heart Ahn Jihyun! But why now? How can you be so mean to me?’

The way her blue dress reflected her eyes, the way she radiated in that wavy brown hair was a spectacular sight for him.

“Babe…” Tiffany called him and tapped his arm. “Aren’t you gonna say something?”

Jaejoong shook his head.

Jihyun closed the folder and crossed her hands on the table. “Well… I think we’re done here. Hani unnie will call you once I made the decision.”

“Unnie? You call her unnie?” Tiffany mused.

“Something wrong with that?”

“Just a piece of advice, people under you should treat and respect you with authority.”

Jihyun smiled. “I’m sorry but I run things differently… And respect is earned, not imposed.”

‘BUURRRNNNN!!!’ Hani silently smirked.

“Anything else?” she politely asked.

Jaejoong saw the huge change in Jihyun. She was fighting back and he liked that tiny hint of feistiness in her. “Me! Can I ask a few questions?” he raised a finger.

Hani and Minjun looked at each other and sat on the edge of their seats.

Jihyun swallowed the huge lump in and shifted to him. “Yes?”

“What is your position in this company?”

“Chief executive officer!” she answered straight up.

“What is your main task in the project?”

“I own half of that department store and I’m also the leader of the Advertising and Marketing team for this project so if you want to kiss someone’s , that would be me!”

The innocent questions suddenly turned into an intense interrogation process.

“If you’re the CEO of both corporations, do you have enough knowledge in running these businesses?”

The people who listened to them glared at Jaejoong for they knew it was something uncalled for.

Jihyun took it calmly. “You are insulting my capacity but I will answer your question… Albert Einstein is a high school dropout. Abraham Lincoln is not even well-educated and had a reputation of being lazy. Winston Churchill is often being punished for his dismal academic record.” she enumerated. “I graduated three months ago as Laude at Harvard University. It might not be enough for your standards but I can definitely run a company.”

Tiffany was totally clueless while Hani stood and approached Jihyun’s side. “Jaejoong-shi? Tiffany-shi? We will keep in touch once we have the decision. Thank you and have a good day!”

Just after they stood to leave, the door slammed wide open then came Bumki.

“Jihyun-ah!” he rushed to her and pulled her towards the window. “Hey… The receptionist told me about your visitors? Are you okay?”

“I think I’m okay…” she forced a smile but deep inside her heart was a raging bull.

Jaejoong stared at them and could almost tackle Bumki to the ground with the way he has his arm around her.

Tiffany had already left so she failed to see who came next.

The old man saw Jaejoong by the door so he approached him. “Hi son…”

“Dad? What are you doing here?” Jaejoong became more confused.

“Remember last night when I told you about a person who offered me a new job, who took me to the hospital, who took care of me, and who took me home?” he hesitantly nodded. “She was our little Jihyun.”

“My Jihyun? That girl over there?” he pointed to the window.

“Yes son.” the old man held his shoulder. “I know you’re confused and all but I can assure that she is still the same person from years and years ago. Well… A lot richer and super beautiful. But she’s still the exact same person. Trust me…”

“Can I talk to her?” he asked.

“All in due time, my son. This is not the place and Tiffany is here. Do you understand what I’m trying to say?”

“Ye appa…” he sighed and took a last glance at her. ‘My Jihyun…’

Jaejoong left with a heavy heart but at least looking forward to a day he could hold her in his arms. He has been patient all those years and he would do it for a lifetime.