Chapter 9

Russian Blue

You tap your fingers idly on your desk admiring the ring on your finger.  It is the other half of the couple rings that you and Junho now wear.

 

You recall how he walked up to your door one early dawn asking you out for a walk.  The sun has not even risen yet and the cold breeze drapes over your skin as you saunter down the empty street.  Junho takes your hand in his, lacing your fingers together making it a little warmer, a little sweeter.  By the time you both reached the bakery, he stopped you and kissed your hand and then slowly placed a ring on your finger as he showed you the ring on his own finger with a foolish smile.

 

“I see someone just branded you.” Jeff said teasingly as he walked over to your table looking at you while you stared at your ring.

 

“He’s sweet isn’t he?” you said with a foolish smile as you showed Jeff your ring.

 

“I’d call it possessive and obsessive, but not entirely sweet.” Jeff said as he leaned on your desk beside you.

 

“You just destroyed the mood.  But since you’re my boss I’ll let it slide.  What do you want?” you asked as you glared at him making him laugh.

 

“You know the report you sent me via email yesterday?  It was a little too complex.  I need a walkthrough.” Jeff said.

 

“You mean this one?” you said pointing at your laptop’s screen.

 

“Exactly.” he said as he cleared his throat, moving to stand right beside you, leaning over to look closer at the screen with one arm over your chair.

 

“It’s a simple report.  It’s the same one I send you every week.” you said.  “So what is it that…” you said as you looked at his direction, taken a back to see his face so close to yours.  “…you don’t understand?”

 

“Are you happy?” he asked as he fixed his gaze on your screen.

 

“Huh?” you asked confused.

 

“Does Junho make you happy?” Jeff asked again.

 

“He does.” you said with a nod, a little bothered with the close proximity of your faces.

 

“I was a little worried about you.  Since the last time at your place when I met Junho, it seems like he was hurting you.” he said as he looked at you.

 

“He wasn’t.” you said defending Junho.  “He has a temper, but he wouldn’t hurt me.  He’s not the type to cause anyone any pain.”

 

“Did cause me pain though.” Jeff muttered softly as he directs his eyes back at the screen.

 

“What?” you asked.

 

“This one.” he said pointing at the figure on the screen.  “Can this be right?  Isn’t it a little too big?  How did you get this number anyway?”

 

“Jeff, it’s a formula.  Everything was computed the same way.  Besides I double checked all those figures, so I’m pretty sure it’s right.” you said.  “Don’t you know how it’s computed?”

 

“I do.” he said as he looked right back at you.

 

His actions were a bit different and it made you feel uneasy somehow.  You don’t know how long the both of you stared like that at each other, but you could feel the tension between you two building up.  Jeff was being strange and it made you confused as to the change.

 

In the midst of the silence shared between you and Jeff, the phone rings and it was as if it awakened the both of you, he stood right back up and leaned on your desk as he looks at your phone.

 

“It’s Junho.” Jeff said as you picked the phone up.

 

“Just a sec.” you motioned to Jeff.  “Hi.” you said over the phone.

 

“Hi baby, are you busy?” Junho asked.

 

“Umm.” you responded as you can’t hide your delight upon hearing his voice.  “Jeff’s here for a report.”

 

“Here?  As in there in the same office building or there in your office right beside you?” Junho asked.

 

“Right beside me.” you answered as you looked at Jeff who has a smirk painted on his face.

 

“It’s work right?” Junho said with a sigh.

 

“Umm.” you said.  “What else could it be?  Anyway, will I see you tonight?”

 

“I’m planning to drop by later at your place.” Junho said.  “But I might be late …like really late.  Got rehearsals all day today.”

 

“Great.  I don’t care how late, just come over.  I want to see you.” you said as you saw Jeff fixing his gaze at you obviously eavesdropping on your phone conversation.  “Junho, can you hang on for a second?”

 

“Sure.” he said.

 

“Jeff, are we done?” you said as you covered the phone with your hand.

 

“Not yet.” Jeff said shaking his head.  “I’ll wait, no hurry.”

 

“Junho, can I call you back?  I have to finish something.” you said in a sad tone.

 

“Alright.  Do what you have to do.” Junho said.  “I’ll see you tonight.  I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” you said as you hang the phone up.  “So what else do you need?” you asked as you turned to Jeff.

 

“Isn’t it hard?” Jeff asked as he sat on top of your desk with his arms folded across his chest.

 

“No.” you answered.  “The program generates the number all by itself.  You just have to input the data on the columns and then voila.”

 

“Not that.” Jeff said smiling.  “I mean, being with Junho.”

 

“Are you Junho’s biggest fan?  You’ve been asking nonstop about him.” you said with a snicker.

 

“Well, he is a well-known celebrity and it seems like it’ll be hard to sustain a relationship with someone like him.” Jeff said.

 

“We’re fine as it is.” you said.  “I have low expectations in relationships anyways.  I used to not believe in any of them.  But he changed my mind completely.”

 

“Do you know him that well?” Jeff asked.

 

“Junho and I were childhood friends and next door neighbors.  We just parted ways when my family and I moved abroad.” you said.  “So I guess you could say I know him pretty well.”

 

“People change.  He might not be the same Junho you knew then.” Jeff insisted.

 

“He did change.” you answered with a nod.  “He’s not a chicken anymore.” you said with a laugh.  “He ran away when we were supposed to have our first kiss when we were younger.  But now he runs towards me for a kiss.  It’s a good change though.”

 

“This is quite unfair.” Jeff said.

 

“What is?” you asked.

 

“That you like him this much.” he said.

 

“Huh?  What are you babbling about?” you asked as you stayed seated looking at Jeff who slowly makes his move towards you, leaning over with both hands on your arm rest, hovering on top of you.

 

“I like you.” he said.  “I thought that was obvious.  You really are quite obtuse aren’t you?”

 

“So I’ve been told.” you said leaning as far back as you could on your chair to create more distance.

 

“I think you match more with me than with Junho.” Jeff said.

 

“I’d appreciate a little space.” you said as you push Jeff away from you.

 

“Sorry.” he said as he moves back.

 

“Me too.” you said.  “I’m sorry too.  I think you and I make good friends, but that’s all there is to it.”

 

“You’ll change your mind someday.” Jeff said.

 

“I doubt.” you answered.

 

“I’ll make sure you do.” Jeff said with a smile as he turns around to walk out of your office.

 

“I hope you don’t make things uncomfortable.  I like my job here as it is.  I don’t want to end up quitting because of you.” you said making Jeff stop.

 

“I won’t let you go that easily.” Jeff said as he reaches for your door to leave.

 

You left the office as soon as you could.  The day was strange for you as new facts came into light.  You figured Junho was right about Jeff after all and Jeff was right about you.  You are quite obtuse, being insensitive to people’s feelings towards you.  Somehow, in the midst of all the confusion you were feeling at the moment, you find yourself wanting and needing to see Junho.

 

Without much of a plan and without any thought whatsoever you reach Junho’s workplace and standing in front of the building you decided to call him.

 

“Junho, I’m here.” you said over the phone.

 

“Where?” he asked.  “At home already?”

 

“No.” you said.  “In front of your building.”

 

“What?” he asked with a surprised tone.

 

“I’m right in front of your office.” you said.

 

“Why?  Is something wrong?” Junho asked worriedly.

 

“I just wanted to see you.” you said.

 

“Got it.” Junho said as he hurriedly leaves the room to run outside with a rapidly beating heart, unable to control the smile on his face.

 

“You’re really here.” he said with heavy breaths as he sees you.  He immediately grabs your hand to take you in and lead you to an empty conference room.  “You’re really here.” he said again.

 

Without any word you just leaped into him, wrapping your arms around his waist, embracing him tight making him even more surprised.

 

“What’s wrong?” Junho said as he embraced you back, his smile getting wider.

 

“I just want to see you.” you said as you buried your head on his chest, trying to take in his scent.  “You smell like you.”

 

“Oh!  I’m all sweaty.” he said as he pulled away from your embrace.  “I wasn’t able to freshen up before meeting you.  I wasn’t even able to wipe my sweat, we’ve been dancing and I ran all the way…”

 

“I don’t care.” you said as you pulled him back to hug again.  “I like how you smell, sweaty or otherwise.”

 

“Really?” he asked with a grin.  “Then let’s stay like this longer.” he said hugging you and kissing the top of your head.

 

“Umm.  Let’s.” you said.

 

“What’s wrong?” Junho said as he lifts your chin up to look at your face.  “I enjoy this, but I feel like something’s wrong.”

 

“Sorry.” you said.

 

“About?” he asked.

 

“I should’ve listened to you.” you said.

 

“About?” Junho asked getting more confused and curious.

 

“Jeff.” you said.

 

“Why?  Did he do something to you?” Junho asked angrily and worriedly as he looked at you.

 

“No.  He didn’t do anything…I think.” you said unsure.  “He just told me, what you already know.”

 

“He likes you, right?  I’m right, right?” Junho said scornfully.

 

“Umm.  Something like that.” you said with a nod.

 

“So, you’ll listen to me from now on?” Junho said.  “No more going out with Jeff outside of work because he’s a friend?”

 

“Umm.” you nodded like an obedient child.

 

“No more going home together because he offered and it’s late?” Junho said.

 

“Umm.  No more.” you nodded.

 

“That’s my good girl.” Junho said as he kisses you on the lips.  “Wait, are you sure he didn’t do anything to you?”

 

“He didn’t.” you said shaking your head.  “I just realized you were right and I thought about how you must’ve felt when you see him with me.  So, I’m sorry for making you feel that way.  I’ll listen to you from now on.”

 

“Maybe I should talk to him.” Junho said.

 

“Maybe you shouldn’t.” you said.  “I only told you, just so you’d know.  I don’t want to hide anything from you.”

 

“Did he make your heart beat faster like he made you feel different?  Like you seem to like him?” Junho asked with creased brows.

 

“He made me feel strange, but nothing like I felt with you.” you said trying to reassure him.

 

“I really love you.” he said softly.  “And I’m sorry if I’m too possessive of you, but I just couldn’t help it, I want you this much.”

 

“I love you too.” you said.  “I’m sorry I wasn’t able to bring anything for you.  I was in a hurry to get here and see you.”

 

“You’re enough for me.” Junho said.  “Do you want to meet to everyone?”

 

“Can we just stay here for a while?  Just the two of us.  I want to be with you a while longer.” you said as you sniff his shirt.

 

“Are you smelling me?” Junho asked with a laugh.

 

“Umm.” you nodded.  “I just want to get enough of you while you’re here.  I’ll be waiting for you at home alone for a long time later.”

 

“Do you want to wait here and watch me rehearse?” Junho asked.  “Just for a while.”

 

“Umm.  Just for a while.” you said.  “I’m happy you made me fall in love you.”

 

“I’m happy you fell in love with me.” Junho said.