Chapter 4

Russian Blue

“Wake up!” Junho who came into to your room unannounced shakes you while you sleep.  “Please wake up.”

 

You opened your eyes slightly and bolt sat up as soon as you see Junho’s face.

 

“Junho!” you shouted as you pulled the covers to your chest.  “What are you doing here?  Get out!”

 

“Ggomaengi’s sick.” he said with a worried look on his face.

 

“What?” you started rubbing your eyes trying to clear the fog out of your head.

 

“My Ggomaengi’s sick.” Junho said.

 

“Your cat?” you asked trying to keep up with him.

 

“Umm.” he nodded in reply.

 

“Junho.  I know you care about your cat and you’re obviously worried.  And I do like Ggomaengi a lot too.” you said resting your hand on his shoulder.  “But I’m not a vet.  Take her to the vet and let me sleep in peace.” you said as you lay back down pulling the covers on top of your head.

 

“She doesn’t like vets.” he said pulling on your covers in a flash revealing your body wearing a little less clothes than usual.

 

“Junho!” you shouted as you pulled the covers back up.

 

“Sorry, I didn’t know you’d be…” he said surprised.

 

“You’re lucky I’m wearing something.” you said sitting up hugging your blanket tight.

 

“On the contrary, I would have been lucky if you weren’t wearing anything.” he said holding in his grin.

 

“Do you want to die now or later?” you asked glaring at him.

 

“Come on.  Don’t you care that Ggomaengi’s sick?” he said sitting closer.

 

“I do.  But I’m not a vet.  I can’t do anything about it.” you said.  “So go take her to a damn vet!”

 

“I told you she doesn’t like vets.” he argued.

 

“I don’t like going to the dentist either, but still my mom made me go whenever my teeth hurt.” you said.  “Where’s your mom anyway?”

 

“Mom went to my grandma’s early yesterday.  And she hasn’t been home since.  Which also means my cat hasn’t eaten since yesterday.” Junho said.  “Please…please…please.”

 

“Fine.” you said as you pushed him off the bed.  “Wait for me over at your house while I get dressed.”

 

“I’ve seen you getting dressed before.” he said with his arms over his chest refusing to leave.

 

“Yes, you did.” you nodded.  “You did when we were about 3 or 4 years old.  Now, leave.  Unless you don’t need my help anymore.”

 

“Leaving.” Junho said holding both hands up with a grin as he walked out of your room.

___

 

“So where is she?” you asked as you enter Junho’s door seeing him pacing around waiting for you.

 

“My room.” he said as he leads you to his room where you find his grayish blue cat curled up in a corner.

 

“Ggomaengi.” you called out to the cat as you sat on the floor at a little distance from her reaching out your hand towards her

 

She slowly lifts her tiny head and sees you with her bright green eyes and almost instantly walks over to you.  As soon as she reaches you she carefully positioned herself on your lap waiting for you to pet her.  You rub her thick furred back and she purred at you in response making you smile.

 

“I heard you were sick.” you said lifting her up to take a closer look.  “You don’t seem sick.  So what do you say we eat?  Junho, can you get her some water and food.”

 

“Here.  I got this for her, but she wouldn’t eat it.” Junho said handing you her meal.

 

You took the food from Junho and you broke the tuna into little pieces before giving it to the cat, who almost immediately like the hungry cat that she ought to be ate the food in front of her without hesitation.  You pushed the water right in front of her as well as you watch her gobble down her food.

 

“I thought you said she won’t eat.” you said turning to Junho who sat beside you with an amazed look on his face.

 

“I guess she just doesn’t like me.” he said with a sigh looking really hurt.  “She’d rather starve to death than eat anything that came from me.”

 

“Oh come on.” you said as you pat him on the back.  “She’s just not used to you.  I heard Russian Blue cats are shy to strangers.”

 

“Come to think of it, between you and I, you’re the stranger.” he said with a pout looking at you.  “But she likes you.”

 

“Maybe it’s because we’re both girls.” you said trying to comfort him.  “I bet if you spend more time with her she’d get to know you more and like you.”

 

“You think so?” he said looking at you as he sat closer.

 

“Umm.” you nodded.

 

“What about you?” he asked.

 

“What about me?” you asked back.

 

“Do you think if I spend more time with you, you’d get to know me better and then maybe you’d get to like me again?” Junho asked looking at you as he slowly held your hand making your heart race a little faster with every second of his stare.

 

“I’m not a cat Junho.” you said as you pulled your hand away from his.  “Well, she seems okay.” you said as you attempt to stand up and flee.

 

“Where are you going?” Junho asked as he stopped you by the wrist making you swallow hard as if there was a big lump on your throat obstructing your voice and breathing.

 

“Sleep.  Home.  Back there.” you said incoherently.

 

“Can’t you stay?” Junho asked looking at you pulling you back.  “Don’t we have to monitor her?  I mean, she could start throwing up.”

 

“I don’t think she will.” you answered trying your best to stand up.

 

“Please.” Junho pleads sitting on the floor pulling you down harder making you lose your balance and fall down to his lap.  “Sorry.  Are you alright?” Junho said looking at you as he held you in his arms.

 

“Fine…I’m fine.” you said as you struggle to break free from his grasp and failing miserably at it as you can’t find a way to get up.

 

“Stay?” he said holding you tighter to stop you from moving.

 

“Okay.  But not like this.” you said looking at his eyes.

 

Junho helped you up with a smile sitting you down right next to him.  Silently you stayed at his side watching his cat, all the while hearing nothing but the pounding of your heart that seems to get louder and faster with every millisecond.

 

“She’s done eating.” you said pointing at the cat breaking the silence and trying to change the mood between the two of you.

 

As soon as you reached your hand out to her, she immediately responds by walking towards you.  She rests on your lap with Junho patting her back making him move closer and closer at you.

 

“She’s not resisting.” Junho said amused seeing his cat not being indifferent to him.  “Maybe, it’s because she thinks we’re friends.”

 

“Maybe.” you muttered shyly as you notice his face inches away from you.

 

“Maybe if I do this she’ll think were best friends.” he said as he planted a kiss on your cheek rendering you speechless and in shock.

 

“Junho.” you said looking at him with wide eyes, not knowing if it was shock, anger or excitement that you ought to be feeling at the moment.

 

“I’ve wanted to do that for years.” he said.  “No.  That was a lie.” he said shaking his head as he holds on to your shoulders.  “I wanted to do more than that for years.  So don’t expect me to apologize for it, because I won’t.”

 

“Junho…you…” you said unsure of what you must say.

 

“I still love you.” he said.  “Can you give me a least one more chance to prove myself to you?” Junho said looking at you, but you couldn’t find the right words to say, so you stay silent looking at him with just the sound of your heart filling your head.

 

Watching you stay quiet looking at him, Junho moves inching closer and closer to your face and suddenly you knew just to what it will lead to.  And it was as if you gathered your senses in a flash that you took the cat in your lap and held it up between your faces stopping Junho from moving closer.

 

“Your cat.” you said handing the cat to her owner.  “She’s fine now.” you said as you moved back and stood up as quickly as you could.

 

“Wait.” Junho said to you holding his cat.

 

“Give me a little more time.” you said as you moved towards the door.

 

“Time?” he asked with a smile forming on his mouth.  “Really?”

 

“Umm.” you nodded.

 

“I’ll wait.” Junho said.  “I’ll wait for you…no matter how long.”