Chapter 6

Russian Blue

“Where are you?” Junho asked over the phone.

 

“Office.” you answered as you flip through a few report papers on your desk.

 

“Is your boss with you there?” he asked.

 

“Jeff?  Of course.” you said.

 

“Can you not call him Jeff?” Junho asked in an irritated voice as he stood up from his chair to pace around the room making the people around him look at him curiously.

 

“But that’s his name.” you said.

 

“Yeah, well, call him boss, sir, mister or something.” Junho said with his hand on his waist.

 

“He likes to be called Jeff.  What’s wrong with that?  Or I can call him baby.” you said teasingly.

 

“Ahh!  You’re so annoying!” Junho screamed in anger attracting the attention of the people around him even more.

 

“Well, you called me remember?” you said holding in your laugh.

 

“So, is he there?” he asked anxiously.

 

“This is the office.  He works here.  I work here.” you said.

 

“Yeah…yeah, I get the picture.” Junho said cutting your train of thought.  “What I meant was is he there beside you?”

 

“I’m in my office.  He’s in his.” you said as you leaned on your desk with a smile with the thought of how jealous he is at the moment.

 

“Good.” Junho said as he calm himself down.  “That’s good.”

 

“So what do you want Junho?  I’ve got a pile of work I need to finish by the end of the day.” you said as you leaned back on your chair looking at your messy desk.

 

“I miss you.” Junho said making you smile even more.

 

“You bothered me for that?” you said trying to sound indifferent, but all the while having your heart flutter with his words.

 

“Weekend.” he said.

 

“Huh?” you asked confused.

 

“We’re coming home together this weekend right?” he said cheerfully over the line.

 

“This weekend?” you said as you checked the date on the calendar on your desk.  “Hmm…I believe I haven’t made plans with you for the weekend.”

 

“Yes you did.” Junho shouted like a child throwing tantrums.  “We said we’d come home and celebrate Ggomaengi’s birthday this Sunday.”

 

“That’s this Sunday?  I didn’t know.” you said.  “I really had no idea it’s this weekend.”

 

“Well, now you do.” Junho said.  “So, what time do I pick you up?”

 

“I can’t.” you muttered.

 

“What do you mean?” he said.

 

“I have a seminar to go to this Saturday.  It’s out of town and like several hours drives.” you said.

 

“With your boss?” Junho asked.

 

“Umm.” you answered.  “He’s driving.”

 

“Can’t you not go?” he asked.

 

“Sort of can’t.” you said.  “It’s work.”

 

“Well…you’ll be back on Sunday.  We’ll go on Sunday.” he said as if trying to console himself.

 

“Jeff asked if I wanted to go around town the next day and I kinda said yes.” you said.  “I mean, I haven’t been there before and I…”

 

“You and him are staying overnight?” he said blowing his top off.  “No freaking way.  Not a chance.  I’m not letting you.”

 

“Well, I didn’t ask for your permission.” you said.  “Anyway, sorry Junho.  I’ll just visit Ggomaengi some other time.”

 

“You can’t do this.” Junho said.

 

“Do what?” you said.

 

“You can’t just go with him!  I mean, men are beasts.  You shouldn’t just trust him like that.” Junho said angrily.

 

“So, does that mean I shouldn’t trust you too?” you said.

 

“If you need someone to trust, it could be me.” Junho said.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to trust me too?” you asked.

 

“It’s your boss I don’t trust.” Junho scoffed.

 

“This isn’t going anywhere.  Let’s just talk later.” you said as you hang up the phone unsure if you are feeling guilty or just sorry.

 

“Hello?  Hello?” Junho said on the other line.  “This crazy !” he said as he noticed the line was cut.  “I wonder why I still love that crazy this much.” he said with a deep sigh as he looked at his phone shaking his head.