Chapter 5

Russian Blue

“Yah!  You’re coming home only now?  And who’s that?” Junho said as he stands up from sitting on the floor and pointing to you and the man you are with as you walk towards your apartment door.

 

“What in the world are you doing here?” you asked as you remain baffled looking at Junho.  “And how did you know I was here?”

 

It’s been almost a week and a half since you moved to the capital city after being offered a job.  And it has been a week before that when Junho went back to work leaving the house next to your grandma’s where you have been staying.  All of a sudden your vacation is looking long-term.  All of a sudden you feel this is more home than the one you used to have.

 

“I called grandma.” he said as he walks towards you.  “She told me you accepted the job here and she asked me to look after you and see how you are.”

 

“You called grandma?” you said.

 

“I did.  I was asking about you.  So who’s this you’re coming home with?” Junho asked pointing with his lips to the guy next to you who happens to be your new boss.

 

“This is Jake, my new boss.” you said introducing the man you are with.  “And this is…”

 

“Lee Junho.” Jake said extending a hand towards Junho with a smile.

 

“Right.” you said.

 

“You didn’t tell me you’re related to 2PM’s Lee Junho.” Jake said with a smile.  “Are you cousins perhaps?”

 

“We’re not related like that.” Junho said as he shakes Jake’s hand with a bone breaking grip.

 

“We’re like neighbors…used to be.  More like childhood friends.” you said as you eye the men’s prolonged handshake.  “Be nice.” you muttered to Juno.

 

“More like we have a thing.  Something like first love.” Junho said as he tightens his grip.

 

Hearing Junho say what he did, you gave him a good smack at the back of his head releasing his grip from Jake.

 

“I’m sorry Jake, he’s just like that.  He jokes a lot.” you said trying to cover for Junho with a fake laugh.

 

“Does he usually try to break every person’s hand too?” Jake asked as he touched his sore hand, but still kept his cool with a smile.

 

“Again, Jake I’m sorry.” you said as you glared at Junho who’s looking all smug.

 

“Do you usually call your boss by their first names?” Junho said.

 

“Lee Junho!” you said looking at Junho with a deathly glare.

 

“I’m sorry about the hand.” Junho said to Jake with a smirk.  “Now can we talk?” he said looking at you.

 

“Well it’s late.” Jake said.  “I guess I have to get going.  Not unless you need me here.”

 

“She doesn’t.” Junho said as he puts an arm over your shoulder.  “I’m here.”

 

“I’ll be fine.” you told Jake.  “Junho, do me a favor.” you said removing his hand from you.  “Wait inside and stay there.” you said as you shove your keys at his chest.

 

“Why?” Junho asked.

 

“I’ll walk him out.” you said.

 

“Will he get lost if you don’t?” Junho said.

 

“Do you want to leave with him?” you said threatening to throw him out.

 

“Fine.” Junho said.  “But just so you know, I’m coming out after five minutes if you’re not in here by then.” he said before you shove him inside your apartment and closed the door on him.

 

“I’m sorry Jake.  Really sorry.” you said as you walked him over to his car.

 

“Oh, that’s no problem.  It’s not often I meet a celebrity.” Jake said.  “He is quite the character though.”

 

“He’s not always like that.  He’s quite the nice guy if you get to know him.” you said defending Junho.  “Also…thanks…for sending me home…and for dinner.”

 

“It’s my pleasure.  In fact I should be the one to thank you, since I had a wonderful time.” Jake said with a gentle smile as he opens his car door.  “Ah, I need to ask, I hope you don’t mind.  But is he your boyfriend perhaps?”

 

“No!  No!  It’s nothing like that.” you said waving your hand at him.

 

“That’s good.” Jake said nodding obviously pleased with your answer.

 

“It is?” you asked.

 

“It is for me.” he said.

 

“Hey!  I know I said five minutes!” Junho said as he appears out of the blue surprising you both.

 

“You better get in before your friend creates havoc out here.” Jake said with a laugh as he went into his car.

 

“Thanks again and drive safe.” you said as you waved to him goodbye.

 

“Let’s go.  It’s cold out here.” Junho said grabbing you by the hand as Jake’s car drives off.

 

“Why are you here again?  I seem to have forgotten.” you asked Junho raising an eyebrow at him.

 

“I told you grandma said to look after you when I have the time.” he said as he leads you inside.  “And I have time today.”

 

“I can very well take care of myself.” you said pulling your hand away from his.

 

“But grandma said…” Junho said.

 

“Grandma’s getting real old I guess.  Maybe she’s getting senile.” you said as you went in the apartment.  “I mean she asked you to take care of me?  I mean, you can’t even take care of your cat.”

 

“Hey!  Ggomaengi and I have made progress before I left home.  She ate the food I offered her.” he said as he sits down on the couch beside you.

 

“Really?  Well, by the time you go home and see her, she’ll treat you as a stranger again.” you said teasingly.

 

“You think?” he asked with a worried look.

 

“Umm.” you nodded in reply.

 

“Come to think of it you and my Ggomaengi are quite the same.” he said as he laid his head back on the couch.

 

“Are you alluding me to your cat?” you asked as you did the same.

 

“Well, the last time…in my room…I thought you were beginning to warm up to me.  But then after being away from you for a while…you’re back to being cold towards me.” Junho said.

 

“I am?” you said as you look towards him surprising you to see his face so close to yours.

 

“Uh, you are.” he said as he looked at you.  “So, why didn’t you tell me you were getting a job out here?”

 

“Do I need to?” you answered.

 

“So is that guy making a move on you?” Junho said.

 

“He’s my boss!” you said.

 

“So?  Doesn’t mean he won’t.” he said.

 

“You think too much.” you said as you laid your head back on the couch and close your eyes.

 

“Let’s just say I’m jealous.” he said.

 

“Why would you be?” you said as you look up towards the ceiling.

 

“Because he gets to be with you.” he muttered softly.

 

“What?” you asked as you didn’t hear him quite clearly.

 

“Nothing.” he said.  “Just my luck.  I get you to open up and you open up to another guy.” he thought to himself.

 

“So, what made you decide to stay?  Aren’t you going back to your mom’s?” Junho asked.

 

“Well…if you must know.  I feel like I’m just beginning to heal from all the negativity in terms of relationships and if I see mom and dad fight or talk bad about each other, I might just go back into believing that commitments in general .” you said.

 

“Good point.” Junho said.  “But maybe they are like that because they still love each other.”

 

“Are you kidding?  They boil in anger with the mere mention of each other’s names.” you said explaining your family situation to him.

 

“Exactly.  They get angry at each other because they still have feelings for each other.” he said.

 

“Umm.  Feelings of hate.” you said with a nod.

 

“Which is better than not feeling anything towards each other anymore.” he said.

 

“Maybe.” you answered.

 

“Maybe it’s the same with you and me.  Maybe you still feel something towards me?” he said with a devilish smile.

 

“Hmm….Hate.” you said with a straight face as Junho’s face sinks into despair.  “Kidding.  I’m just kidding.” you said with a laugh.

 

“So, if it isn’t hate…” Junho tries to fish for more.

 

“It’s something.” you said as you sat upright.

 

“And that would be?” he said.

 

“Aren’t you leaving?” you asked as you stood up to change the mood as your heart beats faster with every look he gives you.

 

“I will, but I feel the need to know.” he said as he stands in front of you with his body inching closer to yours.

 

“Right now…I like you.” you said without batting an eyelash.

 

“Really?” he said as he stands up in front of you with a wide smile.

 

“Umm.” you nodded as he held your hands.  “I think we can go back to being the good friends that we were.”

 

“What?” Junho said with a tinge of disgust and confusion in his face and his voice.

 

“You don’t want to be my friend?” you asked as you tilted your head to the side restraining your smile from showing.

 

“It’s not that…I mean…I was kind of hoping for…you know…something more than being friends.” he said.

 

It amuses you that in years of knowing Junho, this would be the first time that you’ve seen him shy and embarrassed.

 

“Like best friends?” you said trying to annoy him more.

 

“More like…girlfriend.” he said.

 

“Ahhh.” you said nodding.  “Maybe, we’ll get there.”

 

“We will.” Junho said with a grin as he held on to your waist.  “I’ll get you there...by force if necessary.”