Chapter 3

Monsters Hiding in the Closet

 

"Choi songsaenim! Wait! Hold the gate!" I yelled out as the gate slowly closed.

We were 100 yards from the gate. The gate was teasing me. I just know it. If it had a face, it would be sticking its tongue at me and pulling at its eyes.

"Ayu, just give it up. We're late and I know it" Bibi said pessimistically, as she stopped running.

She was right.  The collars of our uniforms weren't properly adjusted, and my shoes had been placed on opposite feet. I stopped running as well and waited for her. Together we walked up the the gate. I gave out a sigh of depression as Choi songsaenim stood behind the gate with a ruler grinned evilly. He reminded me of Argus Filch from Harry Potter. He smacked the ruler on his palm so it made a loud slapping noise. He pointed the ruler at Bibi and me and pointed at the ground. We joined the rest of the troublemakers in front of the gate and kneeled with our arms up. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Oooh~ My arms are sore. The bell rang throughout the hall as Bibi and I parted ways. I gave her a light wave and composed myself for class. I slid the door of class 1-C open, and heard the familiar rowdiness of the class, waiting for 2nd period's teacher to arrive. We had Biology, I think. I slid into my seat and laid my head on my desk, tired from my lack of sleep. I waited with the rest of my classmates for old Jung songsaenim. He's bound to retire some time soon. He's so slow and old that amongst the 1st years, he is nicknamed 'Musty Dusty Jung'. Someone tapped my shoulder. I looked up and saw another one of my friends, Woo Kevin. He was a nice, quiet guy and liked to read books. He always wore thick lensed glasses and always had some kind of book in his arms. I met him earlier in the year when I accidentally ran into him while he was carrying a whole bunch of books. I was too busy talking to Bibi to see him, and ended up running into him. Of course I helped him pick up his books but when he saw me, it was like he had entered the girl's locker room by accident. His face was bright red, and he kept apologizing. I never understood how, but we just became friends.

"Why weren't you here for homeroom?" he asked.

I thought of the monsters in the closet. I don't Kevin would believe me if I told him about that.

"I just woke up late" I lied.

He nodded. He glanced at me once more, and he seemed frightened.

"You have bruises on your neck, did your mom hit you?" he asked quietly.

What on earth was he talking about? Okaasan wouldn't hurt fly, let alone me. I took out a small mirror and examined my neck. There were indeed faint bruise-like marks on my neck. They didn't hurt when I touched them. These couldn't be bruises. The only thing that touched my neck was Kris's tongue... 

He gave me a hickey! I'm gonna kill that erted wolf when I get home. I held my hand over my neck. I shook my head rapidly. "No, I wasn't careful and hit myself."

Kevin relaxed. The classroom door slid open and Musty Dusty Jung came in at last. The class ignored him, even with his attempts to collect the attention of his students.

"Hey everyone, Jung songsaenim is here. Let's pay attention" a voice boomed throughout the class.

Everyone turned to the owner of the voice. It was Shim Changmin. Everyone calls him Max though. He's practically the kingka of the whole school, even though he was just a 1st year. Everyone respects him, even the teachers. The students calmed down and sat patiently.

"Oh, thank you for that Shim-ssi" Jung songsaenim said in a whispery voice, "Now we will start on the Ecology unit. To kick off this unit, we will have group projects. I'll go into it more later, but we will be doing some book work first!"

Everyone groaned, including me.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

​I stretched my arms as the bell for the end of 5th period rang. Students rushed in and out of the classroom for lunch. I met up with Bibi outside her classroom and together we went to the canteen for lunch. We held our trays as we walked to our table, where some familiar faces occupied. Kevin was there with his nose stuck in a book, but there was also Dae Minji. She was a very pretty 2nd year who I had befriended when she was a 3rd year in middle school and I was a 2nd year in middle school as well. They greeted us and we began to chat about our weekends. Bibi suddenly turned to me.

"So, did any monsters appear?" she asked eagerly.

She was trying to get monsters into my house? I replied in a huff, "No. But it made a mess with the wax."

"Sowwy~" she said in a small voice.

I patted her head, which she took as an 'I forgive you' pat.

"I had really hoped for a monster to appear."

I glared at her.

"Where did you even get that curse thing?"

She shrugged, "I just found it in a library book that I had been sorting."

I stared at her. She made me say something she wasn't sure what the outcome of would be. That's not good. When lunch ended, Bibi latched on to my arm and was begging me to get some bubble tea with her after school. I was about to reply when I heard her whisper.

"Look who's coming~~~"

I looked up and saw Max walking with his best friend, Yunho. They were conversing about something, and Max smiled his oh-so-cute smile. I felt a smile creep across my face. Who could resist smiling around him? Bibi ruined my moment of bliss.

"Ayu, you're blushing"

"Shut up" I mumbled as he bumped into me.

I could smell his cologne.

"Sorry" we said simultaneously.

He smiled again and continued to walk. I squealed mentally. I felt as if I could power through the day.

"Wow, Ayu. How does it feel to finally have contact with your one-and-only crush, even if it was not as romantic as one might hope" Bibi asked.

Her teasing made me even redder.

The 6th period teacher had not arrived yet, but everyone was clustered around the windows, especially the girls. I overheard some of their gossip.

"He's cute. Is he going to be a new student?"

"He's so tall! And he looks so mysterious."

"He looks like a cosplayer. Maybe he's a model."

Curiosity got the best of me so I looked over the windows. A tall man stood around. His face was not visible, because of the top hat he wore. The man pivoted and gazed up. Oh great. Chanyeol stood in front of the building and gazed up at the windows. His eyes scanned the crowd of girls till his eyes seemed to stop right on me. He waved frantically at me. It seemed to be as if he wore some kind of tailcoat and trousers. Till now, I never really noticed what they wore. Well, with the exception of EXO-M prancing around in their birthday suits. 

I turned to Kevin, who appeared to be just realizing about the commotion around him, and told him that I wasn't feeling too well and to tell the teacher that I would be at the nurse's office. I ran to the building entrance, and he greeted me with a bow.

"Hello, Miss..."

"Sakura Ayu. Now come on."

I pulled him away from the front of the school building to the side of it. 

"What are you doing here? I thought I told you to stay in the closet" I asked angrily, "How did you even find me?"

"Well, I got hungry. You don't have anymore food. Also, you have AB negative blood. 1 in 167 people have the same blood type. It's one of the least common blood types. It's not that hard to find you, especially since you smell different." 

His eyes seemed to flash a deep red. Then Chanyeol's stomach growled as proof. Did they seriously eat all the food? I tried to imagine a whole month's worth of food down the throats of 12 men in less than 6 hours. Actually not that hard when they are monsters.

I made Chanyeol wait till school was out, before I was going to get him something to eat.

"Ayu, let's go for bubble tea!!!" Bibi said rushing towards me.

"Don't you have cram school after this?" I said shaking my head.

"Yes~ But we could get something before it starts!" she reasoned.

I shook my head once more, "Sorry, I need to go... shopping for some groceries and stuff for my mom."

Bibi pouted. She gave up and said something about asking Minji. I exited the building and quickly ran to the side of the building. A horrid burning smell filled the air. I saw Chanyeol crouching on the ground. He had an evil grin on his face as he held a leaf in his hand.  The leaf levitated for a moment before it suddenly caught fire and turned into nothing but a pile of ash. He picked up another leaf on the ground and repeated the process. How childish.

"Chanyeol, kaja" I called, while I motioned for him.

He looked at me and eagerly hopped up. He followed me like a puppy, as I walked out the evil school gate and down the street. I heard a clicking noise with each step I took. I looked behind me, and I saw Chanyeol walking with a wooden cane, which had a golden phoenix prearing to take flight on top of it. His top hat was perched high on his curly hair. He took out a pocket watch that was attached to his waist coat by a watch fob. He really looked like a cosplayer for some video game. He caught me looking at him and smiled. His creeper smile appeared.

People stared at Chanyeol as we walked down the street and Chanyeol stared straight back at them, as if he had never seen so many humans in one place. I decided, I would need to get him and the others some new clothes.  I don't think they would fit otousan's clothes. I made a quick detour to the mall and dragged Chanyeol to some random clothing store. Might as well make him less noticeable if he is gonna he here for a while.

"Pick out whatever you want. But don't go overboard and get too much."

He stood there puzzled.

"What are these things?" he asked, prodding a pair of neon green sneakers with his cane.

"Those are shoes. Come on, pick something" I said.

He walked around the store, and I stood by the entrance. He came back with 2 articles of clothing: lingerie and a pair of heels. He handed them to me. He looked at me as if he wanted me to try them on. I face palmed myself.

"Not for me... For yourself!!!" I muttered impatiently.

I ended up picking his clothes for him, seeing that he was incapable to choose something for himself. I hope he has no trouble changing into his clothes.

Luckily, he didn't. If I say so myself, I think he didn't look all that bad. I paid for his stuff and the cashier for a plastic baggie to put his original clothes into, but Chanyeol didn't seem able to part with his cane and his pocket watch. I guess I'll have to bring the others for clothes.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

I held a whole bunch of groceries, with Chanyeol behind me. He had asked about everything and it took a while for me to explain the concept of ice cream. We entered the house and thankfully, it was quiet and clean. I walked into the kitchen and found it cleared up. I looked in the pantry, and didn't see single bit of food left.  Not even the nasty canned snail that okaasan liked to buy. Well, they did leave the curry bullion cubes, jasmine rice, and eggs in the fridge. I set everything down, and Chanyeol did the same.

"I think everyone will be plenty hungry now, so let's start!"

I grabbed a pan and began to open the bag of rice. I had decided to make curry omurice, using the cubes, the rice, and eggs. When I finished making 12 omelets, I broke out the ketchup. On each one I wrote each of their names. I was pleased with my handiwork and remembered when okaasan used to write my name and otousan's name on our omurice. Now she doesn't have the will or time to do that. I told Chanyeol to call the others to eat and he did it quickly, because in a split second, all 12 of the monsters had crammed themselves into the kitchen, eager for something to eat. I ushered them out to the living room, since I doubt they could all fit at the dining table. I gave everyone their specially labeled omurice, which they gratefully took. It was nice to see someone beside okaasan enjoying my cooking.

I froze. Vampire can't eat garlic, can they? Oh, crap! I've killed  6 vampires!!! I saw that everyone was eating cheerfully, even EXO-K. Chanyeol walked up to me with his empty plate. He looked at me and said a single word:

"More"

"Eh? I thought you couldn't eat garlic?" I asked puzzled.

"Are you kidding me? Chanyeol eats garlic all the time. No person in their right mind, human or not, would ever kiss him" Sehun said, his mouth stuffed with the omelet.

"What about stakes?"I asked.

A stake through the heart kills vampires, right?

"Steak? I love raw steak!" Xiumin cried out.

"Wooden stakes would kill anyone, wouldn't it?" Suho pointed out.

Right... I get Chanyeol another omurice, when I hear the the front door click open. 

"Ayu, are you cooking?" I heard okaasan say.

Oh, no. I pushed everyone up the stairs into their closet. I rush down in time to greet her and she held a pet carrier. I opened the pet carrier and out jumped a black cat.

"Sebby!" I yelled out as the cat ran on top of me.

Sebastian, was a cat that okaasan and I had. I called him Sebastian, or Sebby, but my mom was weird and named him Icarus. We got this cat after otousan passed away, mainly for okaasan. Sebby was sick, so he's been at the vet. Sebby purred as he walked against my leg. I cooked an omurice for okaasan and brought Sebby up the stairs, and he growled at the closet. He lept out of my arms, and stopped at the door. He hissed at it, his tail high. On the other side of the door, I heard something growl even louder. I picked up Sebby and opened the door, exposing a red-eyed Luhan. He glared at Sebby as I took him away. What was wrong with Luhan? Maybe it was because he's a wolf? When I came back to the closet, the door was closed, and I didn't hear anything from it.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 

1st period teacher had left, and I was already hungry. I wonder how the monsters are doing. Musty Dusty Jung is probably making his way to the classroom ever so slowly... 

The door suddenly slid open, with a large bang. I didn't even bother to look up I just had to wait for Max to tell everyone to calm down, and then class would start. 

"Good morning, class" a deep voice said.

Musty Dusty Jung sounds an awful lot like Chanyeol. Do I miss the monsters already?

"I'm now your new teacher, Park songsaenim, as Jung songsaenim has retired."

I looked up, and saw Chanyeol smiling brightly at the class. He gave me a tiny wave. Oh dear.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Yes, it's the same Kevin from U-Kiss and Changmin and Yunho from TVXQ. 

It's growling Luhan!

tumblr_inline_mnkj6gb8FJ1qz4rgp.gif

The cat does have a special significance, so don't think I'm wasting your time. ^-^