Chapter 5

Monsters Hiding in the Closet

 (A/N: NU'EST for you, knuffelmuff ^-^)

 

I scolded Kris when we got home, for both giving me hickeys and letting s run as a wolf in the streets. Soon, I sat in class, again. Park songsaenim was passing out a paper that I didn't even bother looking at. There were murmurs amongst the class. 

"It has come to my understanding that there is a tradition in the biology department here. Before your previous teacher retired, he had mentioned a partner project that is done during the Ecology unit. You might of heard of this project from your sunbaes, so you might know of the terrarium project. If you read the paper I just passed out it'll explain the limitations and expectations of your projects" he explained.

He continued to talk about the project, relaying what was on the paper. Nobody minded, especially the girls, as they were enamored with his deep and rich voice. His voice reminded me of Morgan Freeman and it felt like he was reading a bedtime story. My eyelids began to droop. 

"Now for the partners. Jung songsaenim had given me a list of the partnerings, so listen for your name."

I hope I get Kevin. I wasn't listening, so maybe he could fill me in.

"Woo Kevin..."

I crossed my fingers.

"...and Cha Heeyoung" he finished.

I sighed. Park songsaenim went through the list and I realized that these were boy-girl pairings. When he reached around half-way through the class, my ears perked at one name.

"Shim Changmin and..."

I wondered who the lucky girl was. The teacher paused for a few seconds before I realized he was looking at me. What?

"...Sakura Ayu."

My eye widened. I was squealing on the inside.The girls shot daggers at me. Max scanned the room, looking for his partner, me. His eyes passed over me, continuing to scan and I grumbled in disapointment. Park songsaenim finished going through the partnerings.

"Find your partners and for the rest of class: discuss your plans, exchange contact info, or whatever. Remember, this is due in 3 weeks."

The class clamored to get to their partners, chairs and desks shifting. I sat, unmoving in my chair. for Max if he can't figure out who his partner was. I looked out the window. I should be excited that my long time crush was my partner, but I was disappointed when he didn't recognize me. Something tapped my shoulder.

"You're Sakura Ayu, right?" a familiar voice said.

I gulped and pivoted. Before me stood perfection at its peak. A god bound in human form. There stood Max, smiling. I nodded. He sat at the desk near me, placing his school bag on the desk. Did he figure out who I was by asking people? Or by process of elimination?

"Sakura... Hmm, isn't that Japanese for 'cherry blossom'?"

"Neh" I responded quietly.

"Sakura Ayu. It's a very beautiful name." he added.

I felt my face heat up at the compliment. 

"You speak Japanese right? Mind if I practice with you?" he asked, without waiting for me to respond.

I nodded again. He seemed even cooler!

He bowed his head before he introduced himself, "Watashi no namae wa Max."

I couldn't help but giggle a bit at his slightly accented Japanese. I introduce myself as well. 

"So, do you want to do the extra credit?" he asked in Japanese.

Crap. I should of been listening.

​"Ano*... I wasn't really paying attention when sensei* was talking." I said embarrassed.

He smiled again, as if he didn't mind. Max kindly explained that if we caught a small animal that related to our terrarium, like a frog or snake, and put it in the terrarium we'd recieve extra credit.

"Wouldn't it be easier to just buy one?" I asked, cocking my head to the side.

"Because, he's going to release them back into the wild. He said no pets either, especially if they're domesticated" Max said, imitating me.

"OK! Let's do it" I said a little bit too enthusiatically.

Everyon'e attention temporarily was on me. I shrank back a little in my chair. Max chuckled a bit. He glanced at his watch, noticing that class was soon to be over.

"Let's exchanage contact info. You have a phone right?"

"Hai*" I responded.

Our phones chirped as we entered our info into each other's phones. I felt a pair of eyes searing into the side of my head. I looked up and saw Park songsaenim staring at me. His jaw was clenched. His soft brown eyes were now a brick red. They shifted back to a normal color when he snapped out of his trance.

"Kurasu o nokoe junbi shimasu" Park songsaenim said.

My eyes widened as he spoke fluent Japanese. Max looked at the teacher questionably. Park songsaenim must of noticed when he pressed his adam's apple twice.

"Umm, prepare to leave class."

He rushed out, abandoning us. I glanced at Max, who scratched his head and murmured to himself. I endured through English and arithmetics. Mr. Wu told a lame English joke that he only laughed at.

"How do you pronounce the word spelled 't-o'?"

"To" the class replied.

"And how do you pronounce the word spelled 't-w-o'?"

"Two" we repeated.

"What's the second day of the week?"he asked again

"Tuesday!" the class finally answered.

"WRONG! It's Monday!" he said laughing to himself.

I angrily painted my way through Art, thinking of his lame joke.  

"Ayu, who did you get partnered with for the Bio project? I got partnered with a doll-faced guy named Choi Min Ki. He told me to call him Ren. For a moment, I thought I was the only one being partenered with another girl." Bibi asked getting food, eyeing D.O. as he waved at me.

"I got Max." I replied, maintaining a calm face.

"Chincha?!!" she asked squealing

I shushed her as Chen peered through the students to see what the outburst was. I glared at Bibi. 

"You might get a chance with him. You will be his partner for 3 weeks! Something is bound to happen."

I smiled. Me, as his girlfriend? I felt all giddy on the inside as we walked to our table. Kevin had brought Heeyoung to work on the project. I saw him glancing at a book in his lap every so often. I think he would prefer to read right now. I was cheerful until thunder clouds formed over my head. Three thunder clouds in the shape of students. Three students that went by the names of Kai, Sehun, and Tao. They walked towards our table.

"Jagiya~" Sehun bellowed out as he sat.

He reached to come in contact, but I didn't let him. In one swift moment, I grabbed Sehun by the collar and drew him close.

"I don't know where you got the idea that we were dating. I would never even give you permission to even call me 'jagiya'. Stop this childish nonsense. If this has something to do with Peregrinus Modus, or whatever, tell me at home. Tell Kai to stop as well." I whispered.

I let go of him and went to finish my lunch. Heeyoung had stopped paying attention and began flirting with Tao. Meanwhile Kevin was in deep concentration with his book. I saw Sehun quietly pushing food on his plate. Kai tried to snake his hand around my waist, which I promptly slapped off. But that didn't discourage him.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~

 or  Choose one!

 

I went through the rest of my classes, like a robot: Just going through the motions. On my way out from Study Hall, Byun songsaenim told me how he and the others would be playing a game of soccer after school and wouldn't 'follow' me home. Bibi had to leave early for cram school, so I walked home alone. No, nothing happened. I dropped my school bag near the door and went into the kitchen, maybe for some ramen or soumen. My phone in my school bag beeped as it signalled that I recieved a text message and I dropped the ramen pouch in my hand on the counter. I grabbed the phone out my bag and saw a message from okaasan.

Okaasan [4:02 p.m.]: Ayu! Bring me my emergency suitcase now! 

I ran up the stairs and pulled out a black suitcase from okaasan's closet. I rushed out of the house, locking the front door and headed to okaasan's place of work. She worked for a large company that had branches all across Asia. She had transfered to the one here in Seoul from Tokyo after otousan's death. She was DIS Security Consultant, or something like that. All I knew was that she had a pretty good pay and that she traveled approximately 90% of the time. I arrived at the tall skyscraper and recieved  a visitors pass. I reached the thirty-sixth floor, which was pretty high up, slowly through the elevator. From my understanding, the longer it took for you to get to your office here, the higher up you are in the company.

I reached okaasan's office, finding it slightly disoriented. Her name placard read 'Sakura Yukiko, DIS Security Consultant'. She came out of the bathroom and she ran over to greet me. Shee took the suitcase.

"Ayu, dear, I need to head to Europe right now. There is a very important client waiting for me and I didn't have time to get some stuff to pack, because I need to get to the airport by five. I'm sorry, but can you stay home alone for two weeks or so?" she said.

I nodded. Okaasan smiled, the sides of her eyes crinkling with happiness. Her office phone beeped and a slightly garbled voice spoke.

"Sakura Yukiko, your cab is here."

Okaasan took my hand and said,"Walk me out, Ayu dear."

At the base of the building, in front of the taxi, okaasan gave me a tight hug. She kissed the top of my head, and squeezed my arm.

"Remember: No parties. No boys over. And don't let your grades drop. OK?" she said.

I nodded energeticlly. I gave her one last hug and she rode away in the cab. I walked towards home slowly. I decided to walk through the alleyways, which was a much shorter distance compared to walking openly in the streets. The alleys were beginning to grow dark, as the sun turned away from them. There was an ominous feeling in the air. To my left, I heard a pair of feet shuffle across the concrete.Was it EXO? Was Baekhyun lying about going to play soccer? To my right, I heard the rustling of clothes. I checked both ways and saw no one, as expected.

"EXO-K? EXO-M? If you're trying to scare me, it's not going to work" I called out.

I was about to reach a T-section portion of the alley, when a figure stood out from the left road. Another one stepped out from the right one. I could feel more people behind me, their heavy breathing being a dead giveaway. They all clustered in front of me. Six in total. They all wore clothes similar to the ones EXO wore when they first arrived. Top hat, tailcoat, trousers, waistcoat... One of them stepped up and bowed.

"Good evening, little girl. I'm Bang Yongguk of B.A.P." he introduced himself.

Yongguk stood straight again and extended a gloved hand. I ignored it. He took it back. 

"Little girl, you should know better than to traverse dark alleys alone" he spoke again, walking toward me.

"Leave me alone. Or I’ll scream" I threatened.

I was in no state to actually scream. I could barely keep myself calm. They looked as if they would do me harm.

"Oooh. I like it when they scream" another one of them countered, all of them taking another step forward. 

"Shush, Himchan. Girl, do you know of a group by the name of EXO?" Yongguk asked.

In his eyes, I knew that they had evil intent for EXO. He had sneered when he said 'EXO'.

"No" I lied, taking a step away.

He took off one glove.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

He took off another.

"Yes."

He removed his hat and placed the gloves inside.

"Wrong answer" he said before slamming me into the alley wall in a split second.

The wall cracked under the sudden force. He held me by my throat, my feet dangling uselessly. 

"Let's try this again. Do you know who EXO is?" he asked, his hot breath near my ear.

"No" I managed to say.

I tried digging my nails into his hand, but he tightened his grip, especially after I responded. Yongguk shook his head tutting.

"Where are they?" he asked.

"I don't know what you're talking about" I choked out, breathless.

Yongguk's grip tightened. I began to see white spots form in front of my eyes. 

"You are making the wrong decision, little girl." he said, steadily tightening his hold on my neck. 

I was in need of oxygen. I was going to die. Stupid EXO.You are going to make me die like this? I heard laughter echoing down the alley. I reached my hand out towards the laughter. 

"Help me" I whispered helplessly.

The merriment grew louder. The spots intensed. Suddenly the laughter was gone.

"Hey! Put her down!" I heard a voice.

Yongguk growled. He threw me aside onto the concrete. I skidded a few meters. I gladly took in the air, but felt a sudden pain in my shoulder. The pain intensified. I grabbed my shoulder, my uniforn cut and bloodied from my own blood. I felt the exposed flesh. Foot steps pattered towards me and stopped.

"JR, she's bleeding! Ottoke?" another voice asked. 

"I can see that, Aron. Give me your coat." the first voice spoke.

Something was draped over my torso as strong arms took me in, lifting me off the ground. I hissed in pain as my shoulder began to throb. I tried to figure out who my saviors were, but could only make out 5 male figures, all wearing the similar white school uniforms as me. 

"Agassi! Agassi?!! Can you here me? Aish! We need to get her to the hospital immediately!" the voice called out.

The pain soon became unbearable. Colors withdrew themselves from my view. Darkness took over. 

 

[Start of Kris's POV]

I needed to sleep and to bathe. I flew, with the cover of darkness, back towards Ayu's house. The house was dark. I assume she must be asleep. I tried the door, but it was locked. I couldn't knock or ring the doorbell. I flew over the gate to the backyard, and saw an open window on the second story. The curtains fluttered through the open window into the cool summer air. With a boost of cool air, I lept into the room. I was in what I presumed Ayu's room. It was cold and silent. There was no heartbeat heard. I walked out of the room. No smell of recently cooked food. I walked down the steps. I saw a pot, over an open fire. I glanced inside. There was a very shallow amount of boiling water. A package of ramen sat near the stove. Something is not right.

I smelled the air. She was here, but hours ago. I walked out the front door. I recognized the faint smell of her shampoo, a light flowery scent lingering. I followed it. I came across two trails. One had a stronger scent. I followed it. I smelled something metallic mingling with the flowery scent. Blood. Ayu's blood. And cologne. Also, the distinct smell of- It couldn't be, could it? Yes. It is. It's the scent of a demon. How did they get to this realm? 

I walked down the alley, the smell of blood and demon much more pungent. I halted. A pool of blood was before me. I glanced at the wall, which was cracked. I saw a piece of red cloth. No. A rag drenched with blood. Ayu's in trouble. In a second, I was a wolf. My human clothes nothing more than strips of torn cloth. I howled and I heard Lay's howl returning. I ran, following the disappearing scent, holding the rag in between my teeth. Ayu, I'm coming.

 

 

 

 

 

 


*Ano is the Japanese equivelant of umm

*Sensei is Japanese for teacher.

*Hai is Japanese for yes/ok

I know that in some parts of the world, the 2nd day of the week is actually Tuesday, but for the sake of the joke. For all those who wanted VIXX and BtoB, they'll appear later. Maybe some other groups too *winks*

If you guys watched the Growl MV (Chinese ver.) you see Suho stepping on poor Sehun's foot around 2:49. But it's so cool how the whole MV was one continuous shot, or at least I think it is. If not, whoever edited the video, they did very good!