2nd Quarter: Shining

Fast Break

The loud beats of a hip-hop music blasted from a boom box resting along the streets just outside the highschool campus. Accompanying the boom box are three young adults, one of them is the eye-smiling Young Bae. Sitting quietly on the street railings while watching some of his friends do freestyle Break dancing, he was in thought of something.

“Yo, Bae, why the silent mouth?” His friend, Lee Hyuksoo, rested his back against the railings. “Nah, I’m just thinking. You know I’m always like this.” He flashed his smile and hopped off the railing, picking up his back pack and skate board from the ground. “I still have classes to attend, I’ll see you around. Peace out!!” Young Bae said heading off immediately even before Hyuksoo can even reply, leaving his friend sighing.

Young Bae dropped his skateboard and rode on it as he heads along the street way letting the descending road increase his speed and momentum. He continued his skating cruise until he stopped at the school’s open court where he saw a mint-blue haired tall man sitting on the side benches watching some children playing.

“Hyung!!!” He cried as he approaches the person, picking up his skate board and carrying it on his side. The guy seems out on his own world and was startled upon Young Bae’s call. “Bae!! Nice to see you!!!” The guy said giving him a relaxed smile. “Deep in thought? Looks like you need a breather huh?” Young Bae said as he seats beside the man. “Not quite… you know, Young Bae… I was always thinking of forming the Basket b—“ The guy, Choi Seunghyun, was about to rant his aspirations, again –Young Bae noted-

“Exactly the reason I went looking for you. I know you would be one of those who’ll be willing to join the newly formed Basket Ball club of YGH.” Young Bae said with a chuckle. Seunghyun eyed him surprised. “Someone beat me to it!? How!?” He exclaimed. Young Bae chuckled. “Apparently, some girl from our school seems to have the same aspiration as you, hyung. So you down with it?” He asked. Seunghyun eyed him and immediately sensed the burning passion igniting from his chest. He smiled wildly, dumbly to be accurate, and nodded. “Of course!! I mean it is back!! YGH’s Basket Ball!! We’re on the roll again!!!” Seunghyun said.

“I always expected you to have that reaction. I’ll tell the girl… I’m waiting for her to contact me though. Either me or Jiyong.” Young Bae said. “Jiyong!? You saw Jiyong!?” Seunghyun said surprised. Young Bae eyed him. “Yeah… well he is back and studying again in our school. A freshman though.” He said. Seunghyun remained silent for quite a while, eyeing Young Bae which almost caused him discomfort, before cracking up loud.

“HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! JIYONG!? A FRESHMAN!? HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!” Seunghyun laughed loud enough that the children playing in the court began to take notice of him and his weird laugh. Young Bae smiled disbelievingly. “Seriously, hyung?” He mumbled. Seunghyun tried controlling his laughter and took quite a few seconds before he finally stabilizes and is able to go back to the conversation. “Sorry… Sorry…” He said trying to compose himself.

“Weird Ahjussi.” One of the children commented earning them a glare from Seunghyun and causing them to run away screaming how scary an Ahjussi Seunghyun is. Young Bae chuckled. “So you and Jiyong joined the basketball team?” Seunghyun said. Young Bae nodded. “Well more like I just placed his name along mine. You know him, mouth speaks differently from his mind. He said he doesn’t want to join but I beg to differ.” He said as he leans back to the benches, eyeing the sky. “I guess so. Well I missed his plays though.” He said. Young Bae nodded. “How many members signed up for the club?” Seunghyun asked. Young Bae looked down. “Two… well, three if you’re going to join. I promised the girl that I will help her gather members and I guess for a while it will help amuse me for some time. Life is quite a bore without basketball, you know that.” Young Bae said. Seunghyun agreed. “Anyway, I’ll keep in touch, hyung. Gotta bounce.” Young Bae said and with a handshake and quick hug, he left.

“This should be interesting.” Seunghyun mumbled to himself, a grin never leaving his face.

 

-Half/Time-

 

Taeyeon was looking at the bright sky deep in thought. It never left her, that moment when she saw the young man from the signing event.

“Yah! What the hell are you doing here!?” He yelled upon witnessing the girl from behind the bushes and vines. “S-Sorry!! I was just passing by and heard you playing so I decided to drop by and take a peek!! I-I am sorry!!” Taeyeon came out and bowed apologetically.

Jiyong eyed her. Taeyeon fiddled her fingers nervously, awkward silence looming in between them. “Y-you’re good at handling the ball…” Taeyeon mustered to speak first after an excruciating silence. She looked up and saw Jiyong just looking at her, expression unreadable. “I wish to be able to work with you well on the team…”

Again, silence…

“Young Bae signed me up, not me. I am not interested in petty games and gains of pride.” Jiyong said. Taeyeon eyed him. “I still see that you are not the type to have such ideals, like you said.” Taeyeon didn’t waiver, intimidating Jiyong is, but she is never the type to back down without a fight as well. “Whatever. Do as you like.” Jiyong said as he turns around and left leaving Taeyeon in the court.

“I will never back down… Jiyong-sshi.” She thought eyeing the back of the young man as he walks away from her…

“Psstt!! Taeyeon!!” Loud whispers came to her only to be blocked by the walls of her own world. She is in heaven land and doesn’t seem to be coming down anytime. Not until she felt a strong kick in her shin. Startled, she jerked violently and eyed Sunny who was directly in front of her. Then it dawned on her…

Silence…

Group of stares…

Teacher glaring at her…

She panicked upon realizing that everyone had their attentions on her, especially their professor. “Good of you to be back, Miss Kim Taeyeon. About time you came back to my class.” The professor commented raising an eyebrow.

“S-Sorry, songsaenim!!!” Taeyeon bowed and shyly sat back down. “No no no no, Taeyeon, please remain standing. I want you to read page 47 starting from line three from our textbook. Just so you’ll stay awake in my class.” The professor said with a smile. Taeyeon smiled awkwardly and took the book in her desk and started reading, quietly noting the amused giggles from Sunny and Jessica, glancing at them with a glare.

 

“This is so freaking boring.” Jiyong said as he comfortably lies on the rooftop ground of the school. Since it is class hours, the whole school premises are quiet enough for him to hear the rustling of the tree leaves and the whistling of the winds. Humming quietly in a tune most familiar only to him, he enjoyed the boring atmosphere –sarcasm- alone.

Upon his chilling time he remembered his encounter with the annoying girl.

“Yah! What the hell are you doing here!?” He yelled upon witnessing the girl from behind the bushes and vines. “S-Sorry!! I was just passing by and heard you playing so I decided to drop by and take a peek!! I-I am sorry!!” Taeyeon came out and bowed apologetically.

Jiyong eyed her. Taeyeon fiddled her fingers, awkward silence looming in between them. “Y-you’re good at handling the ball…” Taeyeon mustered to speak first after an excruciating silence. She looked up and saw Jiyong just looking at her, expression unreadable. “I wish to be able to work with you well on the team…” Again, silence…

“Young Bae signed me up, not me. I am not interested in petty games and gains of pride.” Jiyong said. Taeyeon eyed him. “I still see that you are not the type to have such ideals, like you said.” Taeyeon didn’t waiver, intimidating Jiyong is, but she is never the type to back down without a fight as well. “Whatever. Do as you like.” Jiyong said as he turns around and left leaving Taeyeon in the court.

“She’s quite an interest.” He thought as then a smile forms quietly. “But playing basketball for a high school isn’t my thing.” He said

Slowly, he heard the door of the rooftop exit creak open but didn’t care. Minutes came and he noticed silence after the sound. He knew someone came up and slowly interest peeked in. He turned to look at the opened door to see a grinning panda.

“HYUNG!!!!!!!”

And silence was destroyed.

His world crumbles.

The birds cried.

His eyes glimmered upon the dark circles surrounding it.

 

To Be Continued...

 

A/N

Hi guys, I updated Fast Break for you... Apparently, as of now, I can only update Time Machine and Fast Break... I haven't recovered my files (It costs too much, My GOSH!!! T_T I wanna die!! ALL MY FILES!!!!) so please bear with the two fanfics for now and I'll definitely update the others once I have my files back.... -I PRAY!!! :((-