1st Quarter: Start

Fast Break

An imaginary flying crow passed by above their heads as they stand up wearing cheerful smiles. It has been an hour and a half and still, no student took interest in their booth. “Please join the basket ball club!!!” Taeyeon offered towards the passing students but ended up being ignored. “Ahh… T-Tae, I think no one’s interested in joining the club.” Yuri said eyeing Taeyeon who has her head hung low.

Taeyeon looked at Yuri. “We have to be optimistic!! And by the way! I have a plan B just in case no one decided to join the club.” Taeyeon said rushing towards the booth and taking out a large paper bag. “What is that?” Yuri said curious. “Here” Taeyeon showed her the content of the bag and this caused a pair of wide eyes and hanging jaw from Yuri.

“I AM DEFINITELY NOT WEARING THAT, TAEYEON!!! NO WAY!! NO! NO! NO! NO!!!!” Yuri yelled in panic towards the innocently staring Taeyeon. “But I think this is a good plan though.” She pouted looking at the inside of her bag where in a pair of bunny girl costumes lay. “We’re going to wear it both anyway.” She said naively. “NO!! THAT IS WAY TOO OVERBOARD!!! AND IT IS FORBIDDEN IN THE SCHOOL TO WEAR THAT!!!” Yuri nagged. “Ok! Ok! Fine, no problem!!” Taeyeon dismissed as if it is not a big deal. “But we do need to gather members for this. The Inter high school is just a few months away.” Taeyeon said, thinking deeply. Yuri sighed. “You do know the story as to why there are no students interested in joining the Basketball club.” Yuri said as she seats on her mono-block chair. Taeyeon followed nodding, she is well aware of the story.

“I am quite invested in hearing it though.” A voice called their attention causing them to turn. Their eyes liked what they saw though as before them stood a very tall young man with a stunning glare. Taeyeon and Yuri immediately stood up smiling. “Hi!!! Are you interested in joining the Basket Ball club? We are planning to join the inter-high cup this year and we hope to gather members for our team.” Taeyeon said with Yuri nodding. “I… can see that.” He said his voice deep and husky. “I am also a member of the basketball team once but left earlier.” The guy said. “I wanna join again.” He flashed an alluring smirk which caught Yuri off guard. The girl giggled and secretly, pinched Taeyeon. “OUCH!!!” Taeyeon winced and glared at Yuri who shyly bowed her head and whispered “Mianhe”

“Please fill up this form!! Thank you for joining the Basket Ball club!!!” Taeyeon said. The guy nodded and wrote his name on the empty sheet of paper. Taeyeon and Yuri both peeking curiously. “Ock Taecyeon…” Yuri whispered smiling shyly. “Thank you, Taecyeon-sshi!! And see you soon!!!” Taeyeon said as the guy smiled and left.

“Wow, there goes our first member.” Yuri said. Taeyeon nodded cheerfully.

Meanwhile, Jiyong is walking the pathway of the activity center while drinking his can of juice. “It’s good to see you again, G-Dragon.” A familiar voice hit him. Jiyong looked up and saw a very familiar face and that annoying smirk. “Ock Taecyeon, the snapping turtle of JYP high. What are you doing here?” Jiyong’s voice came cold and stern. The guy looked down on him with a mocking smirk. “Heard you dropped school… studying again?” He said, his tone hinting mockery and insult. Jiyong glared at him. “Watch what you’re saying, goof.” He warned but didn’t seem to affect the person before him. “I prefer it if we would speak in the basketball court, G-Dragon. You still have your game right? It’ll be a shame if you don’t, especially after our ace made you into trash.” He said.

“You.” Jiyong is about to retort when a hand held his shoulder. “Speaking of which, may I know why you decided to take a peek in our school? Turtle Snapper?” Young Bae appeared from behind Jiyong. His appearance calm and composed “Ah the mighty short dunker. I just want to have a good stroll. Heard this school is planning on reviving its basketball club after the huge humiliation.” He said as he passes by them and halts midway turning his head to them. “You two shorties aren’t planning on joining the team, are you?” Taecyeon said eyes directed to Jiyong. Jiyong scoffed. “I ain’t interested in low level high school basketball.” He said.

“Too bad… I was actually hoping to see you on the battlefield during the inter-high cup.” He said and walked away. “See you.” He bid his farewell.

 

“Well that’s something.” Young Bae said turning to Jiyong. The guy wore a poker face but he can sense the tension building in him. He looked down and saw his hand grasping the can so hard that it actually crumbled. “You better calm yourself. They’re just provoking you.” Young Bae said crossing his arms in front of his chest. Jiyong glared at Young Bae. “Mind your own business.” He hissed and left. Young Bae eyed him sighing and scratching his head. “Well that’s another drag.” He commented before heading on.

 

Afternoon came and still aside from the single name written on their clean sheet of paper, not one or two students joined. Taeyeon sighed as Yuri patted her back. “It’s ok Taeyeon… We just have to be optimistic… maybe now is not a time for the basketball team yet.” She consoled. Taeyeon shook her head. “Our school years are short, Yuri. My brother’s dream is to put YGH’s name to the top after its humiliation. My brother despised his condition because of this and I can’t even bear to see him desperate and down.” Taeyeon said eyes almost teary. Yuri was only able to sigh in sympathy. “I’m sorry, Taengoo.” She said and took notice of the watch in her left wrist. “I-I have to go now, the try outs for the volley ball team is in a few minutes. I don’t want to be late or I’ll miss it. I’m very sorry, Taeyeon.” She said. Taeyeon looked at her and smiled. “It’s ok, Yuri, I know you dreamed of joining the team. Thank you for your help and sorry for dragging you in this as well.” She said her smile bitter and solemn. Yuri frowned and hugged her best friend. It made her hesitate to continue but Taeyeon urged her and she eventually followed. “I’m sorry, Taeyeon.” Yuri said before she left.

Alone, Taeyeon, decided to clean the booth herself as it was already the end of the club signing event. As she was about to take the paper, a hand stopped her. Surprised, she looked up and saw two figures before her.  “Looks like that douchebag decided to mock the school’s team.” The guy with a braided hair commented. Looking at the lone paper where Taecyeon wrote his name.  The other just scoffed. “Like I care.”

“U-uhm..” Taeyeon called their attention, confused of what is happening. “E-Excuse me but a-are you planning to join the basketball club?” She asked. The guy holding the paper looked at her and flashed a smile, his eyes smiling as well. “I’ll sign up. How about you?” He nudged the guy besides him, who just groaned. “Do what you want.” Jiyong said. Shaking his head amusingly, Young Bae placed the paper on the table and took the pen from Taeyeon’s hand. Taeyeon was dumbfounded by the two guys and was surprised more when Young Bae scratched Taecyeon’s name before putting his own. “Y-Yah! What are you doing!?” She yelled surprising Young Bae. “Chill, miss… I am actually removing this unwanted name on the list. Look, this person, Ock Taecyeon, is a member of JYP High’s basketball team, meaning he is not from our school.” Young Bae explained with a smile. “W-WHAT!? But!?” Taeyeon was about to rebut but Young Bae cut her off. “He is actually mocking the school after their school humiliated YGH’s basketball team two years ago.” He said.

“There!” Young Bae said and stood up eyeing the dumbfounded Taeyeon. “I replaced him with two names now.” Young Bae whispered with a wink. “So… when will we start practicing?” He asked. Taeyeon remained quiet. This amused Young Bae causing him to giggle. “Don’t worry. I’ll help you find some members. Including this one.” He again nudged the guy beside him earning him a glare. “Yah! You stupi—“

“We gotta go!! See you tomorrow I guess, I left my contact number and his as well.” He bowed and hooked his right arm around Jiyong and dragged him away as the guy whines and curses at his friend.

Taeyeon remained silent, too preoccupied and surprised with their presence. She looked at the names adorned with childish drawings. “Dong Young Bae… Kwon Jiyong…” She read looking up to the two as they head on and disappeared along the crowd.

Taeyeon smiled. Hope is still there.

 

-Half/Time-

 

Taeyeon is on her way towards home as she passes on a descending road. Carrying her backpack and hugging her folder, she quietly sauntered the silent streets. Until a bouncing ball disturbed the silence and called her attention. Curious, Taeyeon followed the sound and was led to an abandoned facility. Struggling to get through the vines and grasses she was greeted by an empty half court where in a lone man stands eyeing the basketball ring silently.

“Isn’t he!?” She said.

Jiyong took his time in savoring the feel of this old half court that he used to play at, with Young Bae. He reminisced on the past and closed his eyes, feeling the cold breeze of the coming night. He then turned to the ball. “A year without holding a ball and playing in the court. It sure is a torture.” He said. Slowly, he dropped the ball, letting it bounce and reached the level of his head.

He eyed the ball, as his expression changed and with a quick swoop he had the ball shifted three times in between his legs.

“WHAT!?” Taeyeon was surprised the moment she saw Jiyong’s dribbling. “I can’t follow the ball and his hands!!!” She exclaimed silently. As momentum began to build, Jiyong shifted the ball dribbling from his right to his left, letting it pass between his legs and turning around quickly and smoothly before jumping and firing the ball from his hands.

Taeyeon was awestruck as the ball swoops in the ring smoothly. “Oh… MY GOD!!” She mindlessly blurted out loud. Jiyong, alerted looked to her place as she immediately covered .

 

To Be Continued...