5th Quarter: Intense

Fast Break

Taeyeon was walking along the streets on the way home; they finished late and therefore decided to have a group dinner. Seunghyun suggested they have a get-to-know-you dinner and insisted that he will pay.

They had fun and quite a good experience. Seungri is very talkative and seems to hit off with everyone very well. She remembered how Yuri was flushing red when Seungri and Daesung with the usually quiet Young Bae-oppa. He is actually a sweet heart and is very approachable, very opposite with Jiyong-sshi. She then remembered Jiyong, the lone guy she almost forgot earlier in the pizza house.

“He looks really lonely.” She frowned and just then saw the guy she was thinking off sitting on a bench in the park. Curious, she decided to have a talk with him. He’s with the team anyway and as a manager, she has responsibility for her members.

Jiyong sat quietly, looking at the empty playground, savoring the cold night’s breeze. Still in his uniform, he had thought a lot. “Hi!!” A cheerful, voice surprised him. He turned to the source immediately to see Taeyeon smiling brightly and waving at him. “Oh, it’s you.” He said. “What do you want?” He said looking away and leaning against the backrest. “Well, I was on my way home and noticed you here so I decided to approach you. We had dinner together earlier but you didn’t come.” Taeyeon said as she uninvitingly sat beside Jiyong.

“I don’t really go well with others.” Somehow, it surprised Taeyeon that Jiyong isn’t using his usual cold tone. It’s more of like a voice people who’re actually sad possess. Or he has been that way since but always comes out cold to everyone else. “Is there a problem, Jiyong-sshi? Maybe I can help.” Taeyeon said making sure she sounded soft and not too pushy.

Jiyong looked at Taeyeon. “Are you this nosy?” He asked. Taeyeon smiled and nodded.”Yes, especially when it concerns the members of the Basketball club.” She said. Jiyong sighed and looked at the sky. Taeyeon looked as well suddenly feeling awkward. “Did I offend him? Am I pushing too hard? Maybe I shouldn’t have asked. Aish!!!” Taeyeon was torturing herself mentally and noticing how Jiyong remained silent only caused her to be guiltier. “You know, I’m sorry. I just…” Taeyeon decided to come clean and apologize if she tried too hard.

“I am really like this, Taeyeon.” Jiyong cut her off as he leans on his knees. Taeyeon looked at him, surprised and somehow delighted that he actually acknowledged her. Jiyong had the look of remorse in his eyes. “I used to play basketball… too much… the pride actually filled my head. I was sure no one will beat me.” He said looking at his palms. “Not until someone gave me a good, shameful, reality check.” He continued. Taeyeon just sat, quietly staring at Jiyong’s side profile. She never saw him this close, and is even having a good conversation with him.

“Is that why you became this uninterested in basketball?” She asked. Jiyong didn’t answer but the look seems to give Taeyeon that her idea is somehow on the right path. “I heard from Young Bae-oppa that you are a year older than me.” Taeyeon said hesitating to ask the question. Jiyong seems to see where Taeyeon is getting at though. “I stopped for one year; I was rehabilitated during those times.” He uttered. “I’m sorry, if I am prying too much.” Taeyeon said looking down. Somehow, she heard Jiyong chuckling. “You aren’t and if you are then I have left you here alone.” Jiyong said. Taeyeon smiled she felt like the awkward atmosphere seems to be dissipating between them now. “I do hope that you will remain as part of our team…” She mumbled.

Jiyong smirked. “That’s for me to know and you to find out.” He stood up stretching his arms and back, giving out a yawn. “Go home. We still have classes tomorrow. We might have a good conversation but it is yet for me to actually be a part of the team. Especially, if it is managed by a clumsy little girl like you.” He said looking at her.

“Y-Yah!!! What are you talking about!?” Taeyeon glared at Jiyong and pouted standing up as well. Jiyong chuckled and placed his hands above her head, their first interaction. “Thanks for accompanying me. Now go home little girl.” He said smirking. “I am not a little girl… I am just a year younger than you.” Taeyeon stuck out her tongue. “You’re cute. Anyway, go home. I’ll be going home as well.” He said and smiled nodding in acknowledgement then left.

Taeyeon, however remained speechless. Looking at Jiyong as he leaves, she knew for the fact that she is blushing hard. “O-Ottoke? What did he just say!?” She asked dismissing what she heard by shaking her head as if trying to rid of the blush on her face. Leaving, she was constantly reminded of what Jiyong just said to her.

 

-Half/Time-

 

“Yah!! Taengoo, are you alright?” Sunny called waving her hand in front of Taeyeon. “W-Wa-What!? What are you saying, Sunny?” She asked, obviously startled. Sunny pouted. “You are spacing out again…” She said giving a “hmpf!!”. “Is there a problem, Taeyeon?” Jessica asked turning to her friend as well. “H-Huh? No, I don’t have any problem.” She said bearing a no-idea-what-you’re-talking-about look. “Yep, she has problems.” Sunny and Jessica looked at each other after inquisitively eyeing Taeyeon. “Hey!! I don’t have a problem!! How can you say that!?” Taeyeon said pouting angrily.

Meanwhile

“So, Jiyong, you going tonight? Seunghyun-hyung will be expecting you.” Young Bae asked as they walk the hallways of the school. “Not a problem with me.” Jiyong said. “You seem lighter. Guess you got a good night sleep last night.” Young Bae smirked earning a quiet glare from Jiyong. Just then they were surprised by a gasp. They eyed the two people in front with Young Bae smiling warmly causing the other girl to squeal silently.

“Taeyeon-ah!!” Jessica hid a squeal as she moves closer to Taeyeon grasping her arm excitedly. Taeyeon smiled and bowed. “A-Annyoung Haseyo, Young Bae-oppa, Jiyong-sshi…” She bowed her head. “Hey, no need to be formal, we’re teammates right?” Young Bae smiled and hooked his arm around Jiyong’s neck. Taeyeon smiled and turned to Jiyong. Jiyong nodded his head and raised his eyebrow indicating that he is greeting Taeyeon. “Annyoung, Jiyong-sshi…” She greeted shyly, suddenly remembering their conversation last night and causing her a blush.

Young Bae, the teaser that he is, noticed this and smirked glancing towards Jiyong. “I think I should go ahead. I promised Yuri to help her with our group project. See you!!” Young Bae said and bowed to them nudging Jiyong softly and left.

“Bye, Young Bae-oppa!!” Jessica giddily answered and watched as Young Bae walks out until he turned to another hallway. Taeyeon and Jiyong remained silent as if waiting for someone or something to happen. “See you.” Jiyong said suddenly which seems to startle Taeyeon as she jerked from her place. “J-Jiyong-sshi!!” She called suddenly.

Jiyong quietly turned to her while Jessica watched her as well. Taeyeon struggled to find what she wants to say. “I-I hope to see you at the gym later.” She said then fiddled with her fingers. Jiyong eyed her. “Depends on my mood.” He said then continued walking.

Taeyeon eyed him and, slowly, a smile founds its way to her.

 

After school, the basketball club had a meeting and practices. The members started warming up at the gym some shooting while others did stretching. Taeyeon was there preparing the towels and waters with the help of Sunny who decided to tag along since she is free that time. “Young Bae-oppa and Jiyong-sshi are late again?” Sunny asked. Taeyeon frowned and nodded. She does know that Young Bae is just busy but regarding Jiyong, she is still hesitant that he will commit to the team. After all, it was Young Bae who signed him up and forcefully made him a part of a team which Taeyeon is partly thankful of.

“Hi!! Sorry I’m late again!!” Young Bae’s voice boomed calling everyone’s attention. Taeyeon turned around expecting to see both Young Bae and Jiyong both noticed only Young Bae accompanied with an unknown presence. “Hi, oppa!!” Sunny waved cheerfully. “Young Bae-oppa, uhmm… where’s Jiyong-sshi?” Taeyeon asked. “Oh… he isn’t here. Guess he didn’t felt like coming. Don’t worry he is just a moody person.” Young Bae said calmly. Taeyeon nodded.

“By the way I have found us a good coach.” He said turning to the guy beside him. A tall, handsome guy smiled at them with his charming smile.  “This is Mister Choi Dongwook.” Young Bae said as the guy, Dongwook bowed to greet them. Taeyeon and Sunny bowed.

“Isn’t he the dance professor from the arts department?” Sunny asked hiding the inner fangirl in her. The Basketball team seems to be filling with good looking men, she thought. “Apparently, since the Basketball club has been removed from the school, for the meantime, I became the dance professor. I am actually a vice coach after Sean-songsaenim.” Dongwook answered. “Hyung!?” They all heard Seunghyun’s startled voice from behind the players gathered to them.

“Hi, Seunghyun!! Back to business as well huh!! Good!!!” Dong Wook said with a smile. Seunghyun smiled and laughed awkwardly. Taeyeon and Sunny looked at him then to Dong Wook-songsaenim. “This is my older brother, Dong Wook.” Seunghyun said. “Wow, no wonder the resemblance is strong.” Sunny commented. Seunghyun bowed shyly.

“So let’s start!! Don’t worry about Jiyong, Manager-nim. He will come and be part of the team. We all know he wants it.” Dong Wook said as he went on. Young Bae looked at Taeyeon and winked. “Dong Wook knew us both very well.” He whispered. “Oh by the way, Yuri said she won’t be able to come since she has practice for the volleyball team.” Young Bae followed as he takes his bag and went to the dressing room.

Taeyeon was left dumbfounded. “Wow… Young Bae-oppa is giving it his all to help you… you’re lucky, Taengoo!!” Sunny said cheerfully. Taeyeon smiled and nodded. Indeed Young Bae is very helpful and kind. “Yosh!! I’m more inspired than ever!!!” She said as she pulls Sunny with her. “Come on!! Let’s go!!” She said.

 

Jiyong exits from convenient store. He was supposed to go the gym as courtesy but decided to buy some snacks as peace offering for walking out yesterday. “Hey, Jiyong.” He stopped upon the presence of a very familiar voice. Suddenly, he felt his hands tremble. That voice… the sweet torturous voice.

“Long time no see.” He turned his head. There she was, still looking elegant as ever. The smile that mesmerized him and the fair face that hooked him to the pit of madness. “YoonA…” He called with tension forming in his throat as if the name is actually a verbal spell. She smiled again until a guy taller most likely appeared and held her shoulders. He wore a grin, a mocking grin. Jiyong’s expression turned grim at the site.

“Looks like I missed out plenty this year.” He said. “Yeah… you did miss out plenty… including this angel with me.” He said. YoonA smiled. “Nice seeing you again.” She said before they left.

Following them is the man he hated the most. The man who ruined him and his pride. The very man who he despised. His grip of his plastic bag tightened and the trembling intensified. “Hey, Ji. Nice seeing you again. Heard you join the basketball club… I’ll be seeing you in the inter-high.” He said with a smile before continued on drinking his energy drink.

“Jang Wooyoung.” He cursed.

 

To Be Continued...

A/N

Update!! haha regarding the past, no worries you will know eventually...

Spoiler: We got some gtae together here and also a quick glance on the people in Jiyong's past. :))