10th Quarter: Jiyong's Weakness

Fast Break

Jiyong rushed towards the opposite side of the court, to where their enemies had been waiting for them. He narrowed his eyes, carefully, devising good infiltration plans and other backup plays that can be done. As Coach Dongwook said, they possess a very tight defense. They were positioned in cluster but still tightly compressed as if the whole area from the three point lane onwards is barricaded by their unmoving stance.

 BAP… Dongwook had informed them that BAP made a good name in basketball during the past inter-high. Comparable to the 2pm, BAP carries a name for their power approach and defense… which seems to show now.

He noticed Junho passing to his left towards the near corner of the court, Tae Hyu and Taekwon in the mid-section of the ring and Seunghyun being guarded heavily by their center, which is only quite smaller but seems stronger than his teammate.

He jogged carefully until meeting with another blonde guy. Seriously, their hair color is distracting, Jiyong thought. He looked eye to eye with the guy in front of him who wears a concentrated expression. “What’s your name?” The guy asked with a smile. Jiyong eyed him. “GD.” He said and with quick dribbling from his left hand to right hand, he made a quick turn around and passed the ball towards Junho who approaches him. Junho caught the ball and went straight to the corner in an attempt to wear off his defender. The guy was firm in his defenses and he didn’t let go of Junho despite his fake attempts.  Junho stayed for a while studying his circumstances and possibilities.

Then he saw Jiyong coming back to him. Junho passed the ball to Jiyong and shifted to the other side. Jiyong caught the ball and quickly pushed through. It seems like the defense inside is much heavier than in the outside and this caused him pressure. “They’re having a hard time… and it’s just the start of the match.” Young Bae heard Taeyeon her fingers poking her lips, a sign that she is worried. Yuri was fidgeting as well; they can feel the pressure that their opponent is giving them.

Taeyeon had her eyes fixed on Jiyong as she watches him struggle in finding a way to push through. BAP’s defense is extremely tight and they’re running out of time. She sighed and closed her eyes.

Jiyong eyed the man before him and from his peripheral sight noticed Seunghyun in sneak mode. Then he remembered. “Damn, Seungri  and Young Bae are good at these.” He said but then realized something. He tightened his focus and bent down lower. Young Bae smirked. “He got an idea.” He said. Taeyeon looked at him then to Jiyong, watching him carefully as he started to let his magic hands roam again.

Closing his eyes, Jiyong bent his knees lower until the ball dribbles lower and faster. “Zelo’s your name is it?” He asked out of a sudden. The guy in front of him stared at his weird stance, alertness seeming to be intensified. “Yes.” His answer is restricted. Just then Jiyong opened his eyes feeling the heat in him. His dribbling became faster until he is shifting the ball all around his feet as he begins the rhythm of his movements. His guard, Zelo, was surprised as he gulped and readied himself. It seems as if Jiyong will push through but…

It was swift enough to leave him still contemplating on what happened but before his brain does…

“G-Dragon has started his play.” Eunhyuk said. Kyuhyun looked at him. Hyoyeon watched carefully somehow feeling goose bumps and unknowingly blushing at what she saw.

Zelo looked to his left and saw Jiyong passing the ball to Seunghyun by having it bounce under BAP’s power forward who was flustered as well. Seunghyun smirked catching the ball and upon his opponent's guard, he held the ball with both his hands and turned his back on his guard. He made a small push and turned around firing a hook shot.

First point of the game is theirs. Yuri jumped high and cheered while Taeyeon was left speechless. Young Bae had a triumphant look in his face as he crosses his arms. “Coach Dong Wook is right… I don’t think there is a need for both of us to be there.” He thought glancing at the smiling Dongwook.

“I saw it… his magic hands up close. It’s like he isn’t even human.” Zelo said his face wearing a stiff one. “It’s our turn. Let’s show them what BAP can do.” Yong Guk said. “We can make it. Yong Jae,  show’em what you got.” He said.

The guy, Yong Jae, nodded wearing a smirk. “Battle plan Z.” They all smirked. “Ok, tighten our defense guys. Remember we cannot do much but to give a man to man, but we have to edit it a bit.” Jiyong said. The others turned to him. “Let’s do the nickel defense.” Jiyong said. Junho nodded understanding Jiyong’s statements.

Jiyong position quite up front while Taekwon positioned himself a bit behind Jiyong on the other side. Seunghyun on the right of the ring while Tae Hyu on the left. Yong Jae was approached by Junho. As the other BAP players went to position themselves. Yong Jae smirked as he turns his back to Junho moving in small steps as he dribbles the ball. Junho inched a bit closer his hands spread same as with his knees.

Yong Jae looked at Junho and made a push. Junho was surprised and was pushed back and watched as Yong Jae turns to him and passed the ball to Himchan. The latter caught the ball and ran to the left away from Yong Jae’s place. Jiyong followed but was surprised when another body stopped him and not even moving a few more inches, Himchan jumped and fired a three pointer.  Taekwon reacted late as he was surprised at how the guy guarding him stopped both him and Jiyong letting the other shoot... A ring-less shot.

YG High -2:3- TS High

The TS students roared in glee. Young Bae scrutinized them. “Their offensive play is good… and not even utilizing all of the players on court.” He thought. Junho caught the ball and made it half-way before passing it back to Jiyong. Junho then went to the right just in line with the three-point lane. Taekwon on the other side almost near the lane. Seunghyun about 4 feet from the ring and Tae Hyu on the opposite side.

Jiyong was met again by Zelo who seem more relaxed than earlier. Jiyong walk closer signaling a hand gesture to Junho, who moved to the left a bit near him. He shifted the ball from his left to right from behind his  bent knees then stepping his right foot back and shifting the ball back in between his legs then made an attempt to dash forward. Zelo moved a bit but knew that Jiyong is faking his advance. Jiyong looked at him and almost turned to the right, Zelo followed but Jiyong turned his back to Zelo and passed the ball to Junho as the latter moved to Jiyong’s side only ahead from him, caught the ball, stopped with both hands on the ball and shoot a three pointer.

But was blocked, perfectly. “Crap!!” Junho cried. Taeyeon and Yuri stood up, Young Bae wearing an analyzing face and Coach Dongwook calm and also analyzing. Jiyong was surprised when Zelo immediately caught the ball and rush to a fast break. Jiyong followed running with all his might. Young Bae cursed silently.

Jiyong’s weakness…

Wooyoung eyed the game. He already knew that fact. Jiyong might be a good ball handler but one thing he extremely lacks is… his defense capabilities especially in fast break. One thing he found seemingly hard to beat from Jiyong’s best friend on the other hand. “After a year… still the same old weakling.” He thought.

“That’s a good one!!” Yoseob cheered as he writes in his notepad. Doojoon watched carefully. “They got them.” Gikwang said.

YG High -2:5- TS High

Jiyong stared at the ball he picked up as Zelo passes by him moving towards defense.  “Oppa…” Taeyeon mumbled watching Jiyong as Junho approaches him. “You alright?” He asked. Jiyong nodded and handed the ball to Junho. Junho walked on as Jiyong followed. His face is stiff.

“He is distracted.” Young Bae said still in his same stance but his hand curling to a fist in worry. “Hyung!!!” Just then they heard a pair of familiar voice from behind. Yuri and Taeyeon turned around and saw three familiar people approaching them cheerfully.

“Seungri!!! Daesung!!! Sunny!!!” She and Yuri called as they both welcome the newcomers. “How’s the game?” Seungri asked as they go to their benches. Taeyeon’s face fell. “They’re ahead by 3 points already.” She said. Seungri eyed Taeyeon and looked at the court. Daesung, Seungri and Sunny greeted Dongwook who nodded at them and smiled. Seungri approached the quiet Young Bae. “Hyung…” He said. Young Bae turned to him and Daesung. “Cheer for them… seeing you guys here mean that you got good in the exam and your presence will boost the team’s morale.” Young Bae said with a smile of relief.

Seungri beamed then turned to Daesung. “See!! I told our presence here is crucial to the team!!!” He said. Taeyaon and Yuri smiled agreeing to Seungri since it is true. “Go, guys!! FIGHTING BIG BANG!!!” Seungri cried. Daesung eyed him and when he heard Sunny and Yuri doing the same he followed as well.

The starting players turned to their bench and upon seeing both Seungri and Daesung with the others, they all smiled. Jiyong sighed. “I must focus.” He said and shook his head. He gestured Junho to pass him the ball and smirked signaling the point guard of a plan and to be on alert. Junho nodded and run to the right side as Jiyong goes to the other.

As he approaches his position point he made a quick crossover and moved to the right opposite of his intended movement, this surprised Zelo who responded immediately only to be blocked by Junho as Jiyong made a rush forward and fired a two-pointer. Blocked.

Everyone in YG High was silenced, shocked. Young Bae stiffened, Seungri and Daesung gasped, Taeyeon, Yuri and Sunny stood up. Again, Zelo got the ball and did another fast break. “They already know.” Young Bae’s forehead creased.

Jiyong turned around crying. “Junho!!!” He said as he ran back to follow. Junho on the other side.

YG High -2:7- TS High

Only 4 minutes had passed.

Jiyong was huffing and wiping his sweat. His eyes narrowing… “Still too early.” He thought…

“They know your weakness, bro. What are you going to do now?” Young Bae thought. Seungri and Daesung had been suggesting switching players but Taeyeon refuses since they have just arrived and probably needed rest. Young Bae mustn’t come out yet. Young BAe looked at coach Dong Wook, he noticed the calm demeanor in the guy and concluded something only the coach possibly know.

“What do youplan for Jiyong, Coach?” Young Bae thought.

Taeyeon looked at Jiyong as he goes to his position as Junho delivers the ball to their side. She’s been worried for him since last night.

“Let’s fight hard, Ji.” Taeyeon said as they both walk home from Seungri’s pad after the intensive tutorial. Jiyong sighed. “I can’t say that I will do well tomorrow, Taeyeon. I haven’t been in the court officially for 1 year.” Jiyong’s eyes were downcast, obvious that he is in conflict. As much as how he loves playing in court, this thing also provides him the nightmare of his past. One thing he desperately tries to forget. Taeyeon stared at Jiyong, he is stressed.

“YoonA…” A name that implies a good meaning, a very pretty name; A name that also trigger Jiyong’s nightmares along the court where he loves to stay. Just then he felt a hand holding his arm, he looked back at Taeyeon and noticed her concerned expression. “I have good faith in you, oppa. You will do well.” She smiled. Jiyong eyed her staring deeply in her brown orb, analyzing and admiring. He looked away and scoffed playfully. “Says the manager.” He teased causing Taeyeon to pout, flustered.

“And here I am worrying for your well-being!!” Taeyeon sulked and walked away, her arms crossed. As she reaches a few feet away. “Taeyeon-ah!!” She stopped and turned to see Jiyong looking away to the road and scratching his head. “Thanks… for being there.” He said.

Taeyeon eyed him, softening and smiling. “You can do it.”

 

Jiyong made a deep relaxing breath and looked forward to their courtside. His eyes starting to accumulate focus, then he turned to Junho who was holding the ball. “Time to get serious.” He said.

 

To Be Continued...

 

A/N

Update!! The Battle begins...

Frankly, it did give me a hard time to write of the battle itself. But then again it's fun to right something different haha ^^ Hope you enjoy!!