Wrong Way

The stream's mist(DISCONTINUED)

 

*You-Jung*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4xsv7hcqBM

 

Light music played faintly in the background, as I stood at the stove with my mom. Today was Saturday and I had no school. I leaned over the stove, trying to smell what was on the stove.

"Don't lean in too close" I heard my mom's cautious voice say. I pushed back and stood there, listening as my mom chopped something.

"Mom what are you making?" I asked.

"Short Rib soup"

I turned around and left the kitchen. I went and sat on the living room floor, waiting for mom. I sighed patiently, although my patience was running thin because of hunger.

"Don't sigh like that, You-Jung. We just need to wait for 10 more minutes that's all" I heard my mom say. I nodded my head, feeling my curls bobbing as I moved.

I bite my lips as I felt my mom sit by me.

"So where did you go yesterday?" she asked.

"I went to the parking lot"

"And you did what?"

"I watched a drama" I answered. I let out a chuckle, thinking of how ironic it sounded. I obviously couldn't see. But I could see only bright colors.

"Where?"

This is what I got for being blind. My mom was never the overprotective type but ever since I got blind almost 6 years ago, she developed that tendency.

"I watched it on a TV with this man" I answered.

"What's his name? How old is he?" She threw the questions at me all at once.

"Mom!" I shot her an appraising look, on the verge of annoyance.

"Okay ok! I give up!" I heard her say. Mom returned to the kitchen and I was once again left sitting there.

"His name is Kim Soo Hyun, 30 years old. Parking garage attendant..." I said, my voice trailing off wistfully.

"Ah! Ok, dinner’s ready!" my mom announced. I sat there, listening as mom dragged the table around the low set dinner table my way. I sat there while she brought the rice, soup and banchan. When my mom finally finished, we began eating.

"So have you made any friends yet?"

"No not yet" I didn't want to remind her that yesterday was my first day of school. And the fact that kids at school don't intend on being my friend because of my disability.

"You'll make friends very soon. You just wait"

"Hmm..." I trailed off. We finished eating and mom begun cleaning up. I went to my room and got my cane. I needed to get out of this stuffy apartment.

"Mom, I’m going out!" I yelled, heading for the door.

"Where? Do you have your phone and key?"

"Taking a stroll around the complex. And yes I've got my phone and key with me" I answered, my hands resting on the door knob.

"Don't talk to strangers okay!" she warned.

"I won't!" I opened the door and stepped out. As I stepped out, I noticed for the first time that there wasn't a door sill like our old apartment had. I walked out of the building and stood at the front entrance. I let out a light chuckle, realizing that Mister Soo just lived right across from me. A cool breeze drifted by. I brought out my cane and begun walking wherever the cane took me.

“Hey stop! A car is coming!” someone shouted. I stopped in my tracks and slowly walked back. I stood there, listening as a car passed by.

“Lady, can’t you see?” I heard the voice of a boy ask. I shook my head, turning around.

“Stop moving around, I’m right in front of you!” the boy said. I stopped moving and looked down.

“Thank you” I said quietly, about to leave.

“What’s your name?” He asked.

“ You-Jung, nice to meet you!” I brought out my hand and shook his hand.

“Chang Min” He uttered, shaking my hand.

“I just moved here two days ago” I told him.

“I know. I saw you and your mother” Wow, this boy surely knows a lot.

“Ah! Okay”

“Well nice to meet you, You-Jung. I have to go now, I’ll see you around” He quickly said, before running off. I didn’t even get the chance to ask him his name. I walked around some more, sometimes stopping to hear if an oncoming vehicle was approaching.  I started walking home, heading for the door.

“Wrong way, You-Jung…”  I heard the voice of Soo Hyun say. How come everywhere that I went, I ended up running into him? I thought.

I ignored him and continued walking. I felt a strong hand grip my arm.

“I told you it’s the wrong way” He said, pulling me away. I allowed him to lead me back to the front door.

“Thank you” I pulled away my arm and begun up the stairs. When I got to the top, I opened the door and went in. When I got in, the apartment was quiet. I guess mom was feeling tired and decided to turn in for the day. I took off my shoes and went to my room.