New School

The stream's mist(DISCONTINUED)

*You-Jung*

After 4 classes, lunch came.

I sat at the lunch table with my lunch. I folded my cane and set it on the table. I placed my plans on the table and grasped my lunch tray. I used my right hand to trace the outside, looking for the long end where the chopsticks and spoon were. I found the chopsticks and spoon and picked them up. I held the chopsticks in my right and the spoon in my left. I began poking the tray, searching for the rice. After a while of poking, I finally found it. I held the chopsticks in my hand and grabbed some rice. As I was bringing it to my mouth, I felt a sharp bump at my back. I flew forward and landed on top of the tray. I contained in my tears as I slowly sat up, feeling for the stains on my uniform. The upper part of my uniform was now soaked with soup. I reached for my cane and unfolded it. I placed it on the ground and got up. I began walking, searching around with my cane. Every time I bumped into a person, I would nod and apologize.

"Look at that loser go!" I heard a guy sneer behind me. I just kept on going, trying to find my way out of the lunch room.

"Look everyone, she's so stupid that she just keeps on going around in circles!" The same guy said. This time he got the attention of others and they received a good laugh at my benefit. I bumped into another person and fell down. I landed on my knees and hands. Hot tears streamed down my face and I couldn't seem to stop them and my breath seemed to have stuck in my throat.

"You guys return back to your lunch!" I heard a female shout. I heard movements of people and chairs scraping against the floor.

"Hey are you okay?" I heard the female ask. I planted my hands on the floor and started searching for my cane.

"I found your cane" she said. She placed my cane in my hand. I quickly got up and looked straight ahead.

"Thank you" I uttered in a low voice.

"You need to change your top" the woman said softly. I nodded my head and reached out my hand. She took my arm and placed it under her arm. I put my cane beside me and followed her out of the lunch room.

"What's your name?" The woman asked.

"Kim You-Jung" I answered.

"Ah! Ok I'm Ms.Kyo, the school nurse" she said.

"Is this your first day here, You-Jung?" She asked.

"Yes it is"

I heard a door open and we walked through. Ms.Kyo led me to a chair and I sat down.

"Here's a shirt and a blazer for you" She grabbed my hands and placed it over the clothes.

"Can you change by yourself?"

"Yeah I can"

"I'll be standing outside if you need anything. When you're done, just call out my name, okay"

"Ok" I waited until I heard the door open and close. I placed the clothes between my legs and rested my cane against the chair. I moved my hand up the blazer, feeling for the buttons. When I found the top button, I ed my blazer and peeled it off my skin. I tossed it behind me and began taking off my shirt. I took off my shirt and put on the shirt before placing on the blazer. I grabbed my cane and placed it in front of me.

"Ms.Kyo, I'm done!" I shouted. I heard the door open.

"Oh lunch is over now. Would you like a pass to your class?"

"Yes please" I stood there waiting as she signed a pass for me. She handed me my pass and I thanked her and left, with my dirty clothes in a bag. Good thing my class was on the first floor. I leaned against the wall, stopping in front of every door to feel for the Braille letters and numbers. It took me a while but I finally found the room. I took hold of the door handle and opened it. When I walked in, the class went quiet.

"It's nice of you to finally join us, You-Jung" my teacher said. I handed him my pass and brought out my cane, searching for my desk. I accidentally hit a student while passing by but stopped to apologize. When I wasn't able to find my seat, the teacher got someone to help me. I sat through the lessons of various teachers with my audio player. When the end of the day came, the class president got up and said the usual things. And class was dismissed. As I was packing, I heard the other students talking behind my back.

"I really hate her. Just because she's blind, she doesn't have to do as much as we have to do" a girl whispered.

"All of the teachers just treat her nice because she can't see! I bet she doesn't do anything" said a guy. I quickly packed my things and hung my bag over my shoulder. So this is what people at this school think of me.  I walked out of school slowly and stood at the entrance, where I called a cab. I couldn't ride a train or a bus because of my disability.  I pressed a key on my phone and it told me the time. 7:35pm. when the cab came, the driver was nice enough to me to the backseat, where he kindly buckled my seat belt for me. I gave him the directions, where he drove to my mother's new work place. She worked as a customer service agent at the customer service department, picking up calls and addressing any problems a customer had. I paid the driver and got out.

"Mister, am I at the main entrance of the building?" I asked, turning to face the sound of the car.

"Yes Miss" I heard the driver reply.

"Thank you, Mister" I nodded my head and smiled before turning around. I brought out my cane in front of me and began walking straight. I hit a metal object and immediately brought out my hand. I ran my finger on it until I found a big handle. I open it and walk through. I stand at the entrance, listening for sound but nothing.

"Excuse me, do you need any assistance finding anything?" The soft voice of a young woman asked from my left.

"Yes please" I responded. I listened as a person approached me, high heels hitting the smooth floor. Clack clack clack.

The heavy smell of peaches clouded my nose as she stopped in front of me.

"How may I help you today, miss?"

"I'm looking for the customer service department?" I replied.

"Ah! That's on the first floor. I'll send you there” she clapped her hands and took hold of my free hand.

"Um...thank you miss" I held onto her hand.

"So who are you looking for?" She asked down the way.

"My mother, she works in the customer service department"

"Ah! Okay, your mother must be very brave. I used to work there and I almost went crazy!"

"Why?"

"The people there are so rude and the customers are so unforgiving and so unbearable!" She answered.

"Ah! Alright"

"Okay, we're here!" She announced, stopping suddenly. She let go of my hand.

“Thank you, miss” I said, smiling.

“Yep. Oh, the customer service department is to your left” I stood there, listening as she and her loud high heels clacked away. I opened the door and immediately, the voices of both old and young women came at me. I closed the door behind me and put my cane in front of me.

“Sung Mi-Yun, your daughter’s here!” I heard a lady yell out my mother’s name.

“Sweetie, what are you doing here?” I heard my mom call out.

“I came to wait for you” I let out a smile, hugging my mom.

“Ok, how was your first day of school?”

“It was okay”

“Ms. Sung, why didn’t you let me know that your daughter came?” I heard the voice of an unknown man ask.

“Ah! You-Jung, Meet Mr. Kwang” I stretched out my hand. Mr. Kwang shook my hand and held onto it a little bit too long. I just chuckled, trying to remove me hand. Eventually he released me.

“Mom, I’ll wait outside for you, okay” I turned around and walked away. Mr. Kwang was making me feel uncomfortable. I walked back to the lobby where I was greeted by the lady from earlier.

“Oh hey, you’re back!” the lady called out.

“I’m Kim You-Jung” I reached out my hand and shook her hand.

“I’m Yamaguchi Emi” She said. I looked at her, confused.

“I’m Japanese Korean” She answered

“Um…can you send me to the parking lot?”

“Yeah” I followed her out, using my cane to lead me. When we got there, she told me the direction in which to follow to find the parking lot. I walked straight with my cane in front of me. I came to a stop when my cane hit a wall. I used my cane to go up the wall until it hit a window.

“Yah! How may I help you?” I heard a familiar voice ask.

“Soo Hyun…it’s You-Jung” I called out.

“Oh, you again. What are you doing here?”

“My mom works in this building and I just came here to wait for her” I answered.

“Oh… well you should come and sit then if you’re only waiting for your mom” I heard a door slide open. I held onto the wall and went in.