You Again!

The stream's mist(DISCONTINUED)

*Soo Hyun*

I turned up the volume on the TV. I sat back on my chair and begun watching the drama that was on. As it was getting to the good part, the sound of a cane hitting a wall caught my attention.  I turned down the volume and got up. I opened the window and looked out. In front of me stood You-Jung, the blind girl who I met last night.

“Yah! How may I help you?” I greeted her gruffly.

Even though I was glad to see her, I kind of wasn't because she talked too much and asked too many questions.

“Soo Hyun…it’s You-Jung” she called out. I let out a sigh. I obviously knew it was her; she didn't need to announce her arrival.

“Oh, you again. What are you doing here?”

“My mom works in this building and I just came here to wait for her” she answered, playing with her cane.

“Oh… well you should come and sit then if you’re only waiting for your mom” I told her. I reached for the latch on the door and yanked it open.  I went back to my seat and watched as she came in.

"What were you watching?" She asked as she sat down.

"That winter the wind blows" I reached out and turned up the volume knob. Call this company cheap. They couldn't even be kind and buy a modern TV with an actual working remote instead of a piece of junk like the one in front of me.

"So what does your mom do?" I asked. I crossed my legs in front of me and folded my hands in front of me.

"She works in the customer service department as an agent handling people's problems" She retorted. The way she said it, it made it seem like she had rehearsed it. And with that, our conversation ended.

15 minutes into the drama, she opened again.

"Can you open the window?" she asked. I looked down at my dirty old shoes and instantly knew why without asking questions. My shoes stunk due to not washing them and wearing them practically every day. She reached over me, her arm poised in a certain angle.

"I've got it!" I got up and slid open the window. I sat back down and stared straight at the TV.

"What type of earrings is the lady wearing?" she suddenly asked. I tore my eyes away from the TV and looked at her. She had on flower studded earrings. I looked back at the TV again and noticed that the girl was wearing earrings similar to hers.

"She's wearing the same earrings as you are"

"Wow that's amazing" she uttered, stretching out her legs. I looked at her, surprised at how easy it was to get her to smile.

"Is she pretty?" she spoke, letting out a laugh.

"Yeah she is. She has long brown hair and big chocolate brown eyes" I quickly answered, turning back to the TV.

"Ah! Ok"

And with that, silence took over again. Seung-Min and I sat, cooped up in a small parking garage office in a wide spaced parking lot, watching TV.

We were both caught off guard when the sudden blare of a horn sounded through the open window. I got up from my chair and pressed the button to open the gate. I watched as the car passed by, the front blinkers weren't . I closed the gate again as soon as he left. I turned back to You-Jung, who was now crotched down on the ground.

"Hey are you okay?" I asked

"Yeah I'm fine" She answered, getting up. I watched as she dusted off imagery dust off of herself.

"...just that I have sensitive ears" She said as she sat back down. I went over and sat next to her, still staring at her.

"The drama's over!" She announced.  I looked back at the TV as the rolling credits were being played over the preview of the next episode. I had long forgotten about the TV until she had reminded me.

"What episode is it tomorrow?" she asked.

"Episode 6" I answered.

"Ah! Ok, I have to go now" She brought out her cane and stood up. She pulled out a cell phone and pressed a button. I watched as she brought it up to her ear.

"Mom..." I listened as she said.

"I'm at the parking lot..."

"Yeah...ok bye" And with that, she hung up.

"My mom is coming down here. Can you open the gate for me, please?" She brought out the cane and swung something in front of her. This was the first time I was noticing it. It was a plastic bag which contained something that looked like clothes. I opened the door then opened the gate. She squeezed by me and went outside. She turned around and let out a smile.

"Bye Mister!" She waved. She brought out her cane and begun walking.  She stopped right in front of the gate. I sat back on my chair, looking out once in a while just to make sure that she was still there. I put my hands in between my legs and begun whistling. I looked out the window again and saw a lady walking towards You-Jung. She looked exactly like You-Jung, except for the fact that she looked older. I walked as they exchanged a few words and begun walking together. I watched them all the way up until they rounded the corner, probably heading towards the nearby bus station. I closed the window and slumped back against the chair. I let out a sigh and crossed my legs again. Nothing interesting happened that night. The usual pattern of the job took over again. Getting up, opening the gate, closing the gate, and then sitting back down. I went through this until the last car left around 1am. I got up and closed down the garage. I shoved my hands in my pocket and walked the 1 mile home. When I got home, I let myself in and changed. I took a long shower and did some pushups before turning in for the night.

"Kim You-Jung, we met again" I rolled over on my stomach towards the far left side of the bed where the moon light was streaming in.

I closed my eyes and went into a deep sleep.