Sight

The stream's mist(DISCONTINUED)

*You-Jung*

“You-Jung, we’re here” I heard my mother say. I sat up and unbuckled my seat. I reached into my pocket and pulled out my cane. I straightened out the cane and put it on the ground. I got out of the car.

"Mom, how does the building look like?" I asked, grabbing for my mom

"Well it's not as big as the last building that we lived in. It has 6 stair cases and 36 apartments. And the best part is that we live on the 2nd floor" My mom said, leading me somewhere.

"Ah! That’s good"

"My new boss, Mr. Kwang and his wife got us this place. The corners of the rooms are rounded so you won't hurt yourself" She opened a door and led me in.

"You-Jung, the stairs leading to the 2nd floor is straight ahead of you, okay"

I nodded my head and followed her up the stairs.

"Our apartment is the 1st one on your left. Number 15. It's also in braille too"

She opened the door and we went in. She showed me where my room was.

"The apartment isn't as big as the one that we lived in before so it'll be easier"

"Mom, what time is it?" I asked

"It's now 8:34am. Everything is set up and all of your books and dramas are here so you don't need to worry. I need to go to work. I'll be home at 10pm, okay" She said. She gave me a spare key before leaving the room to go and get ready.

"Okay!" I sat on the bed, bouncing up and down.

"Okay, I'm leaving now, sweetie! I left one of the kitchen cabinets opened in case you're hungry" She came over and gave me a kiss before leaving. I got up and extended out my cane. I walked around in circles before I sat down again. I reached out and felt my nightstand. My hand landed on a book. I traced the cover of the book, "William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet"

I sat down on the floor and began reading. I placed my cell phone by my side, occasionally checking the time. I got up twice to eat snacks and use the restroom. When it was 9:15pm, I began getting bored so I took my cell phone and placed it in my cardigan sweater before getting up.  I closed the door and exited the building.

I took a stroll around the building, occasionally stopping to take in air. While I was walking, I bumped into a person and dropped my cane.

"Stupid, can you see me?" The man asked me.

"I'm not deaf and I can't see you" I crouched down to the ground, searching for my cane. I brushed my hand against the man's shoe as I looked for my cane. The shoe felt used. Over used that smelled like old gym socks that were left to ferment.

"Yah! Stop touching my shoe! I found your cane!" The man shouted, startling me. I got up briskly, reaching out my hands.

"Here!" The man wrapped his hand over my hands, placing the cane between my palms.

"Thank you" I whispered, bringing my hands to my chest.

"Yeah whatever" he said. I heard him shuffle his feet back and forth.

"My name is You-Jung. Kim You-Jung" I reached out my hand, but I felt nothing.

"When you meet a blind person, you're supposed to shake the person's hand as a greeting" I said. I brought out my hand again but felt his hand wrap around mine. I wrapped my hand around his, feeling his fingers and palm.

"Whoa! The inside of your hand is hard" I sighed. He pulled away his hand, leaving my hand empty.

"What's a blind person wondering around at night for?" He asked, clearing his throat.

"I needed to clear my head" I answered.

"Well go home safely then" I heard him say.

"Wait I didn't get your name and age" I reached out my hand, trying to stop him.

"It's none of your business." With that he left. I let out a sad smile, feeling empty.

"There goes my chance at making a friend!" I muttered to myself. I put my cane on the ground and began walking, feeling for the apartment complex wall to lean on. When my cane came in contact with the wall, I let out a sigh of relief. I leaned against it and felt my way to the main entrance door. I gripped the door handle and opened it. I looked up at the light, sensing it twitch. Even though I couldn't see, I could still sense movements. I began walking straight, where the stairs were. I hit my cane against the first step, grasping a hold of the iron stair railing. I began climbing up with my cane next to me. When I got to the top, I brought down my cane and turned left, feeling my way around.

“Kim...You-Jung" I heard the familiar voice calling out. I turned around, trying to figure out where the voice was coming from.

"I'm standing to your right"

I slowly turned to my right, smiling.

"Kim Soo Hyun, 30 this year" he answered.

"Ah! Ok, I guess I have to tell you my age now" I said, chuckling.

"I am 17" I said.

"So you're a high school student?"

"Yeah I am. But I'm new here, I just moved here with my mom"

"Ah! Well welcome to the neighborhood. Good night for now" I heard a door open and close. I pulled out the key from my pocket and stuck it inside the door. I let myself in and closed the door behind me. I the lights and took off my shoes.

It was now 9:30pm and mom still wasn't home. I folded my cane and placed it inside my cardigan sweater pocket. I walked against the wall, all the way to the kitchen. Since I was blind, I wasn't allowed to turn on the stove or any flammable objects. My mom is afraid of me burning down the apartment. I felt my way around until I felt an opened cabinet. The cabinet where my mom left opened for me to get access to food when I am hungry. I reached up and grabbed the first thing my hand landed on. I pulled it down and turned it around in my hands, trying to figure out what it was. I opened the lid and felt ramen noodles.

"Ah! Jackpot!" I exclaimed, feeling happy. I grabbed a cup from the cabinet and filled it with tap water. I slowly walked to the microwave, leaning against the counter. When I got there, I placed the cup in the microwave and pressed buttons until I heard the microwave come alive. I stood by the microwave until I heard it beeping. I opened it and touched the cup. I quickly pulled away my hand. The cup was piping hot. I grabbed the handle and took the cup to where the ramen noodle cup was.  I poured the water in and quickly closed it. I grabbed a pair of chopsticks and a spoon. I went to the fridge and grabbed a bottle of water. I grabbed my food with my water and utensils in hand. I walked to my bedroom and the light. I grabbed my book from my bed and sat on the floor. I spread out my legs on the floor and peeled off the lid of the ramen cup. I took a bite before opening my book. I was now able to read Braille fluently. I let out a laugh as I read a funny part. I closed my book and continued eating. When I was done, I closed the empty bowl with its lid. I took a long drink of water and stretched out my legs.

"You're not asleep yet?" I heard my mom ask. I didn't hear her come in.

"No I just finished eating"

She came in and took the items. I felt her presences.

"Okay, brush your teeth and get yourself into bed. You have school tomorrow, you know" And with that she left. I smiled to myself. My mom was always like that. She really disliked me staying up for her. I got up and walked to the bathroom where I brushed my teeth and washed my face. I went back to my room and changed into my shorts and t-shirt before turning off the lights. I took out my cane and placed it on my night stand.

I snuggled under the blanket, replaying Soo Hyun's voice. His voice sounds so husky and rough. I wonder if he's ugly. I close my eyes.

I hope to meet Soo Hyun again tomorrow.