Wait for me, Love.

Your Calling

Wooyoung and Junho had a good breakfast in the morning. They woke up because their stomachs started grumbling. The old man cooked two bowls of rice, and prepared some side dishes. There was a dish of liver in thick soy sauce, fried along with chopped leek and sprinkled with parsley. The old man also prepared a dish of boiled vegetables, omelette and chicken soup. Not a single dish was wasted, all swept clean by their monstrous hunger. It was around the middle of the afternoon, when Wooyoung had regained most of his strength, he went to look for the old man once more, who was sitting outside his house, talking with an elderly woman. Wooyoung tried eavesdropping on their conversation, but found the language too alien for him. He made it a mental note to learn Thai once he was really out of this place and back in Korea. Their conversation stopped when the elderly woman finally noticed Wooyoung.

 

"Sa-wat-dee kraup." He greeted them, bowing his head low. The elderly woman chuckled back at him, clearly amused with his manners. He cleared his throat and then made a sign language for a phone. "Telephone." He said, in English. The elderly woman couldn't suppress the laughter inside her.

 

:"Do you want to make a call?" She asked in English, but with a Thai accent. This little discovery of her knowledge in English gave a warm feeling inside him. Eventhough his English was simply, it was passable. "Yes, please." He replied and added. "Urgent."

 

"Very well. There is a payphone not far from here." She said, and then promptly nodded her head towards a few stores ahead of them. Next to one of the stores, probably a taylor, was a lonely-looking payphone booth. But to Wooyoung, it was his token to a greater freedom. He smiled, bowed his head again, and thanked the old lady. 

 

The old lady let her eyes scan his body for a moment, from the tousled mess on his head, the blackened bruises on his face, the chapped lips, the obvious nerves on his neck, to his too thin body and bulging ribs, and finally to his limping legs and scarred toes. She began to wonder if something bad had happened. But Wooyoung's smile was real, more real than it had been for the last few weeks, if he ever did try to smile. She felt a sense of worry growing in her. "What happened to you?" She asked, not moving her eyes away from him.

 

He swayed for a moment, and used both his hands to hold on to the door frame, but finally he said, "Bad guys took us...." His words trailed off. She saw the tremble in his body and decided there was no point to inquire further. She told him to be careful and then left on her bicycle. The old man waved his goodbye before turning his attention to Wooyoung. He made a sign language of a phone call and took out his wallet. "Mo---ney." He said, passing it to Wooyoung. Grateful for the coins, Wooyoung searched about for anything suspicious first, before going over to the phonebooth. There was one number in mind. And that number belonged to his Thai lover.

 

The phone rang for a while, but more than seven seconds later, Wooyoung's face was a mask of exasperation. "Pick it up, idiot!" He mumbled angrily.

 

When the receiver finally picked up, Wooyoung felt his blood rush at the sound of that voice he missed so much. He felt a sting in his throat, and tears were pooiing in his eyes. Emotions rushed into him like a waterfall, threatening to unleash any second. "Hello?" The other end greeted again. Wooyoung gathered up his courage, tightened his grip on the phone and said in a low weak voice, "Baby...."

 

There was a momentary silence from the other end, before Nichkhun finally replied, "Wooyoung..." He sounded like he was in tears. "Baby, is that you?! OMYGOD! Baby, is that really you?!" The way Nichkhun cried out his name made the moment all the more unbearable for Wooyoung. He let his tears fall freely, his whole body shaking from the overwhelming sense of joy inside him. "I'm here." He choked between sobs. "I'm here!" This made the Thai cry harder.

 

"Baby, where are you?! Please tell me! I missed you so much..." The last few words came out like a squeak, probably because Nichkhun was trying to control his emotions, but they kept pouring out of him. He was on his knees in the middle of the airport, attracting unwanted attention all around him. Taec and Minjun had to carry him to the nearest washroom while Chansung wade off the growing crowd around them.

 

Once in the washroom, Chansung leaned against the door, trying to stop anyone from coming in. Nichkhun was leaning against the wall, one hand holding his phone, and the other wiping away his tears. Minjun and Taec were listening to his conversation.

 

"I don't know, Khunnie....please find us....please...I don't know where we are...." He wiped his runny nose against his torn up grey hoodie that he had worn for the last few weeks. Hygiene didn't matter when one had been unhygenic for god knows how long. "I will find you, baby. Don't worry. Did they hurt you?" The question was imperative to Nichkhun. After he found out that the blood in the van was Wooyoung's, he almost feared the worst. But the worst did not happen, thank god. When Wooyoung replied a soft yes to that question, Nichkhun felt his blood boil. "What did they do to you?"

 

"They....." Wooyoung closed his eyes for a moment and took a deep breath, and then he continued, "...they did things to me. I managed to protect Junho....but I can't...." Tears were falling like waterfall. The truth of his imprisonment under his captors was far too painful of an experience. Nichkhun somehow knew what Wooyoung was about to say and the thought infuriated him. But he calmed himelf down enough to listen, and when Wooyoung was ready to tell him everything, the line went dead.

 

Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.......

 

That flared up the Thai's anger thrice than before. He balled his fist and punched the wall behind him, creating a crack on the tiles. Minjun and Taecyeon stared in shock, while their maknae bit his lips. He understood this profound anger. Once upon a time, he had been like this, and that was after Junho got taken away. No more anger, he thought, it's time to act fast.

 

They got out of the washroom and quickly made their way out of the airport. Nichkhun's fans were crowding him, asking him for a signature, a picture...but he was far too angry to care. He flashed a quick smile at them and then dragged s to the waiting area outside the airport, where his brother was already waiting for them, in his white Sedan car.

 

____________________________________

 

Nichan lifted a haughty eyebrow at Nichkhun when his younger brother entered the front passenger seat. "I see someone's angry today. For your information, I was earlier than you."

 

"I don't want to talk, bro. Get us home." Nichkhun said coldly, not facing his brother. The others at the back simply gaped at his behaviour. When Nichan looked over at Minjun through his rearview mirror, Minjun simply bowed an apology. Nichan let out a sigh and then took off towards home, where everyone else was already waiting for them.

 

_________________________________