Short Distance Away

Your Calling

The night was drawing near and soon it would be dark outside. It was already late evening when Nichkhun, Minjun and Chansung were driving up to the place the tracker was bringing them. They were nervous deep down, but they quashed it off with a song. Minjun started singing one of their songs, 'I Hate You', hoping that the bad guys could hear them. Woody heard them just fine but he couldn't understand a word of course. He chuckled at this, amused that the boys could still sing even in the middle of a dilemma. "Well, it seems they have given up all hope. I thought they were going to make this fun for me. I guess I was wrong."

 

He got up from his office chair and made his way to the living room. "Boys, it's time to pay a little visit to my babies. Prepare the cars. I'm going over to the storehouse." He ordered his men and they did as they were told.

 

Jeom, Taec and Nichan stealthily watched the day's event unfold before them from behind a low hill next to Woody's mansion. They were amazed that such a place existed in this secluded area. It had been almost a few hours until Woody finally appeared, in a tweed suit and a pair of shiny black Italian shoes. He looked like he was on his way to work, but the boys were convinced he was going to lead them to Junho and Wooyoung. The amount of men following him were almost uncountable. But Jeom managed to make out an approximate figure of eighty men.

 

"This will be big, Chan." He whispered to Nichan, who was crouching beside him. "I might lose a few men myself."

 

"You won't." Nichan remarked, convinced that his underlying plan will succeed. Jeom looked over at his best friend and smirked.

 

"You never cease to amaze me, Chan. Always so sure about something. What are you hiding from us?"

 

"Salvation." Nichan said. "And a free pass out of trouble."

 

Taec eyed the older guys next to him and wondered what to think about that. He wasn't so sure what they were about to do. Would there be a fight? Would anyone get killed? He was honestly afraid for his own life, but the life of his bandmates mattered more in this situation. He would be protecting them. Finally, Jeom stood up and ordered his men to get into the cars. It was finally time to move. Taec couldn't help but doubt these guys. Eleven guys against eighty. It would be a battle that could kill. The one thing he feared most was when someone started bringing out the guns.

 

______________________________

 

 The tracker led Team A into a thick jungle, on the outskirts of Bangkok. It was about thirty minutes away from the main city, and since Bangkok, the houses by the roadside began to thin out until only huts could be seen at intervals. The jungle came after, with the dusty sand-filled road snaking along the trees. They followed the road, hoping that no one would find a white expensive-looking Sedan in the middle of the woods. Soon, they arrived at a bend that led to a large factory-like building. Wooyoung certainly was right about the description of the place. Nichkhun parked the car amongst the trees. They got out from the car and hoped that no one would find it. And then he called his brother to check on their progress.

 

"We're here."

 

"Good. Now, stay hidden. We're on the way, following Woody from behind. How long does it take to reach there?"

 

"Took us half an hour from the marketplace."

 

"Then it'll probably take us forty-five minutes max from Woody's mansion.Don't do anything rash. Just stay hidden until I arrive."

 

"Bro...I need to get Wooyoung out now."

 

"I just said don't do anything rash!" Nichan yelled into the phone. Really, his baby brother can be so stupid sometimes.

 

"I'm sorry. But I think we can rescue the boys before Woody arrives."

 

"Do you want to die?!" Taecyeon's voice suddenly asked. Apparently Nichan had placed his phone on loudspeaker.

 

"Taec, you don't understand. I was wrong to let him get taken away like that. He was in so much pain. I can't bear another moment of seeing him like that."

 

"We'll be there!" Nichan and Taecyeon yelled back in unison. But Nichkhun shook his head and ended the call.

 

Minjun and Chansung stared at him as if they had seen a ghost. "ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?!" Minjun shouted at him, aghast.

 

"No. You saw him earlier. I don't think both of them can last another second in there. We're going to get them out before Woody arrives. And we have time on our side."

 

"It's three guys against who knows how many there are inside that thing." Chansung said, expressing his objection. But Nichkhun was determined. There was no one who could stop him.

 

"I made a mistake by letting them take him. They should have taken me instead. He's suffered enough. I'm going in, guys, whether you want it or not."

 

"I want to tie you up against the tree right now." Minjun said. Nichkhun shot him a quick glare before turning back to the building looming over them. Really, how could one miss this thing? It was huge enough to keep meat for the whole country. He gulped down the saliva in his throat and tried to think of a plan. He knew Chansung and Minjun would not let him go alone. They can't sit still either, so most proably they would tag along but with complains all the way.

 

"Ok, here's the plan. We have the tracker to tell us where Youngie and Junho are exactly. We have the upper hand here. So we only need to follow the tracker."

 

"But we don't know how many bad guys we're going to face. There's a chance we could die in there, Khun." Minjun said.

 

"I know, hyung. But we need to trust in our luck too. I'm sure we can sneak in quietly. Just make sure we got each other's back. Hyung, you'll be in the middle, and I will lead us on. Chansung will watch our back. Get it?"

 

"Arasseo. Let's just get this done with." Minjun replied frustratedly. There was no changing Nichkhun's mind once it was made up. Chansung simply nodded his head. "We only fight when we're attacked." He added. With this in mind, all three boys braced themselves for the last battle of the day.

 

Thirty minutes away, Nichan and Taecyeon were on their way. Jeom was driving the car. They were furious at Nichkhun's reckless impulse but the only way to stop Nichkhun would be to personally pin him against the wall, which was something Nichan would have to do later. What would he tell his parents if they found out that he had allowed for Nichkhun to get hurt?

 

In another vehicle not so far ahead, Woody was starting to like how the story was unfolding. He didn't notice the car following them from behind, but he had gotten news from his men at the storehouse that a couple of boys had suddenly appeared. "So....they knew about the camera and they managed to fool me. Very good display of acting here. Ooh, they make my blood boil with enthusiasm. Feisty. Speed up boys. My babies are waiting for me."

 

A line of 11 expensive cars rode through the city, attracting attention, but no one bothered about the two pitiful-looking cars following behind. This became an advantage for Nichan and Taecyeon. Since the crowd in the city was more curious to know about the person in those expensive cars, it caused a little traffic which slowed down their progress. This would probably buy Nichkhun and the rest some time to find Wooyoung and Junho before it's too late.

 

Would it be too late?

 

__________________________________

 

Well, this is the chapter before the last.