D-Day 2: Freedom

Your Calling

The meeting next day took place at the same park the kidnapping had happened. The detective, Mr Oh, said that his men were on their duty of taking down the hidden cameras. JYP, the remaining members of 2PM, including their brother group 2AM and Miss A gathered at the park.All of them were anxious, wondering if Mr Oh was able to find any clues. It was in the middle of the afternoon, but the heat outside was bearable. Not many people were there today, probably because it was a weekday. They gathered under the shades of a few trees and there Mr Oh started, "I found one important lead. I checked with all the flight companies in Korea, and all of them said they had identified an unknown and unregistered plane in the South Korean skies on the night the kidnappings had occured. They thought it belonged to North Korea, so no one stopped the plane. It was a small plane, possibly a private jet. And it was heading southwest. There are a few possible destinations, namely Hong Kong, Taiwan, Laos,  Cambodia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Myanmar or Thailand."

 

"That's a lot of countries.We will never find them this way." Nichkhun said, annoyed.

 

"I also found out that the car was not a stolen vehicle. It was imported here three years back but it was not registered as a licensed vehicle. I found the information that led to its arrival in Korea, but apparently the car was not registered under the request of the owner. He had wanted it to be displayed only as a collection. And he's from Thailand."

 

"Why bring a car all the way here just for display?" Jo Kwon butted in.

 

Mr Oh looked at him knowingly, as if the question itself was so obvious that an answer was not needed. The others realized it in an instant. "They want to use it for something bad....because it's not registered, it can be thrown away easily."

 

"That's right, Minjun-ssi." Mr Oh praised him. "But the good thing is, it's also easier for us to track down the owner. Only a handful of rich people do that nowadays."

 

"He must be bloody rich!" Taecyeon added.

 

"Who is it, then?" Min asked, curious. The others hushed down, waiting for the detective to reply. JYP had said nothing since earlier. He just wanted to get this over and with. But when Mr Oh hesitated a little, he started getting annoyed. "Do you even know?"

 

"I know....but you can't find him in Korea. He went back to Thailand two years back. The thing is, he wasn't here when the crime happened. Even if I say his name, there's nothing you can do unless you can prove that he was the mastermind behind the whole attack."

 

"We'll find a way to prove it even if we have to die." Chansung said, and the others nodded. Really, such friendship....

 

"Get on with it, quick!" JYP ordered, leaning in closer to hear. Everyone did the same, until they were all crowding him. He cleared his throat first.

 

"It's.....Woody Milintachinda." Most of them stared at Mr Oh after that with a puzzled look on their faces. But Nichkhun's face was as pale as a sheet. He turned to s and asked them if the name rang a bell. But no one remembered such a name. "Remember that interview I did in Thailand after the movie I starred in became a success?"

 

"Woody?" Minjun tried to recall the name again. There was really no familiarity. But Nichkhun looked like he had just seen a ghost. A sudden loud bang terrified the whole group in the park. No one recalled what happened precisely, but when they looked up to see if something went wrong, the sight of Mr Oh falling to the ground with his hands on his stomach sent everyone into a disarray of confusion and fear. Chansung, Jo Kwon and the girls were shaking terribly, holding on to each other, with tears in their eyes. Minjun and JYP held their breathe for a long time before they needed to breathe again, and by then Mr Oh was already lying face-down on the ground, with blood pooling around his body. JYP quickly called for an ambulance, and the cops. Minjun tried to turn Mr Oh over, trying to hold the blood in until the ambulance arrived, but blood kept spilling out non-stop. Nichkhun had fainted in the process while Taecyeon was trying to wake him up. The rest of 2AM's members were left in a heap of confusion, wondering what had happened, and finally realizing that Mr Oh had just been shot.

 

"I saw the car!" Changmin said, looking at Jinwoon for reassurance. The maknae stared at him with a puzzled look on his face.

 

"I think I saw it too. It was black." Seulong added.

 

15 minutes later, the ambulance arrived to take Mr Oh away. JYP brought everyone back to the company building and let them rest in the dance studio. He himself was speechless over the day's event. "They dare to shoot in the middle of the day!"

 

The cops sealed off the park, after forcing everyone there to go back home. People got scared, very scared. The incident became top news that night, and netizens were afraid to leave their houses. No one said anything about Wooyoung's and Junho's kidnapping on the news. It would have an even greater shock to the fans. Instead, JYP lied and said that Mr Oh was there to teach safety to the kids. It wa likely that someone had a grudge on Korea's best detective and thus the shooting occured. Deep down inside, he was starting to feel afraid for everyone's lives. Anyone could be the next target. And there won't be any real motives. No one was still sure why Junho and Wooyoung had gotten kidnapped.

 

Thankfully, a few hours later, news arrived at JYP's office to inform him that Mr Oh had survived the attack, but it was likely he could not do anything for a while.

 

_________________________

 

3000 miles away, the last chain was finally freed, but Wooyoung didn't want the plan to go hither thither. Before dinner came, he slept through the day with Junho first, hugging the younger boy tightly. And then the usual stale bread and water was given. They finished up everything before standing up to do some light stretching. The escape tonight would need a lot of energy. Wooyoung had told Junho of the small human hole he found somewhere beyond the sight of the camera. That was where they would be heading after the man in charge of their meals comes in to take away their tray.

 

The man came in on time, thirty minutes after they were done. Instead of running off immediately, they waited a few hours. By the time it was the darkest outside, it was time to commence with the plan. Wooyoung checked the camera one last time, hoping that no one was watching them. And then with a brave heart and an instinct that had proven useful more times than Wooyoung could remember, he grabbed his sharpened stone in one hand and Junho's hand with the other. They tiptoed quietly towards the hidden human hole. Wooyoung had smartly hid it behind a flat metal board he found a few days back. Junho was the first to go through the hole, followed by his hyung. The fresh air outside was like a welcome to their nose. No more stale smells of meat and human wastes. No more pungent scents of blood. The air tasted like freedom, and freedom was only a bush away. They tiptoed towards the nearest bush that was high enough to shield them, and then from there, they saw the view of a million lights. The city of Bangkok laid before them from a far away distant. The only barrier left between them was the thick jungle circling around the outskirts of the city. The storehouse they were in was on a hill apparently. Of course, the boys had no idea where they were. They assumed it was another city in Korea they had not visited. 

 

With determination and hope to guide them, Wooyoung took Junho's hands in his and began to lead both of them down the hill, one slow step at the time. There was no point to rush. Wooyoung was sure no one would check the camera until tomorrow, when their breakfast finally arrives. Hours later, they were walking amongst the crowd in the city. No one recognized them, thankfully. But Junho also noticed that no one was speaking Korean. It was a language both of them were familiar with but did not understand one word of it.

 

They approached an old man nearby and Junho asked in English, "Where is this?"

 

The old man looked at them confusedly, wondering if they were crazy, but when he saw the lost look on the boys' faces, he tried greeting them instead. "Sa-wat-dee kraup."

 

Wooyoung understood instantly. "We're in Thailand." He told Junho.

 

"What? All the way here?!"

 

"Yeah." He turned back to the old man and greeted him. After that, he tried to show a sign language for food, hoping that the old man could understand. The old man looked at their bodies and saw how frightfully thin they were. He invited them into his home, where he served some bread and fish. They ate heartily that night. The old man was also kind enough to let them stay at his house until morning. Exhausted from the long hours of walk, the boys went to sleep on a soft mattress for the first time that day since they were taken. Their dreams were no longer empty, but filled with the joy of knowing they were finally free.

 

Wooyoung kissed his dongsaeng good night before he went to sleep.

 

______________________

 

 

______________________