Chapter 16

The Sun and The Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 “Boss MoonBeam, let me borrow your car.” Stacy said while already digging through Luna's purse.

“Nope. I have another meeting at the British Embassy at 2.” Luna responded, not looking away from her computer.

“That's not until this afternoon! I won't be gone long. I promise. Pwetty pwease.” Taking a deep breath, Luna took the keys out of her desk drawer and threw them at Stacy. Stacy then walked over and started moving piles around on Luna's desk.

“What are you looking for?”

“Uh...um...THIS! Later!” she brandished the file in her hand quickly and headed out the door.

Luna shook her head and got back to work on staff scheduling. This had to be the worst part of filling in for Dave, in Luna's opinion. Her desk was littered with random pieces of paper that held 'requests'. 'I need to come in 2 hours late on Tuesday. Thanks!', 'Is it okay if I take a half day Monday?'. Considering it was Monday, that one was pretty irrelevant. Balling it up, she tossed it in the trash can by the door. She rolled her tightening neck and tried to shake lose the coming irritation. She was happily interrupted by her vibrating phone.

Bae: Happy Monday?

She smiled to herself before responding.

Luna: Not particularly, but there's always room for improvement.

YoungBae responded by sending a short video of Boss chasing a ball across his living room and sliding into the wall. That brought a smile to her face.

Luna: Ha Ha. That definitely caused an improvement. Thank you.

Bae: Are you okay? Do you need anything?

Luna: Just for Dave to come and take his job back.

Bae: Have you eaten?

Luna: I did and will again later. You?

 

Not one to be overly attached to her phone, she found herself for the next 45 minutes turning it on to make sure she didn't miss his response. With a huff of irritation at her own behavior, she put her phone on silent in her desk drawer and got back to work.

 

*****

 

Stacy walked into Luna's office just after lunch time with a very satisfied grin on her face and a spring in her step.

“Hell-oooo. Miss me?

Luna looked at her with a 'are you kidding?' face. “Where did you rush off to?”

“To the YG building. I took the visa over to Lee SeungHyun.” and purred his name like a kitten while saying it.

“As in SeungRi of Big Bang? Isn't he a little young for you?”

“He loves the noonas. Besides, he's only 2 years younger than me so don't paint me like a ert. ”

“You are a ert, Stacy Louise Collins.”

“That may be true, but you still love me,” Stacy was almost out of the door when she turned around. “Where's your phone? I tried to call you earlier.” Reaching into her desk drawer, she retrieved the long forgotten phone.

Bae: Sorry, I got busy. Hope your day gets better!

Luna found herself smiling at her phone again and quickly slapped herself to remove the silly grin.

 

*****

 

YoungBae and Luna played 'text message tag' for the rest of the week. Between her extra work load and his rigorous schedule, they didn't have a chance to see each other. He would call around midnight to talk to her before she went to bed. She would call him around nine in the morning to make sure he was up for work. It was during these calls that YoungBae found out he could hear her smile through the phone.

For YoungBae this was a new experience. Because he worked with most of the people who cared about him, he wasn't used to anyone asking how his day was at the end of it. Add to that that he was awkward around new people, she became his first 'outside' friend. He typically worked all day and went home to Boss or an empty apartment so it thrilled him to roll over in the morning to answer her call. He liked having someone to call and check on that didn't also have guy parts or was his mom.

It was a similar situation for Luna. In the three years that she had been living in South Korea, she made a few friends, but most of her time was spent with others from the embassy. She wouldn't classify herself as 'lonely', she just didn't mind being alone. The nightly calls from YoungBae were a welcome change from her usually quiet evenings. It was nice to have someone ask if she had eaten.

When Friday rolled around, Stacy surprised and delighted Luna with the news that they weren't going to NoraeBang. But then she dashed her dreams by saying they were going to a dance club instead.

“Come on, Stace. You know I don't like dancing. I like dancing less than I like singing.”

“No one could tell that by the performance you put on last week. It really was great, by the way. Besides, consider this a going away party. Dave gets Monday, and I have to go back to Japan on Sunday.”

Luna's face fell. She had forgotten that this was a temporary transfer. No matter how often Stacy annoyed her, she really did love her and valued her friendship. She wished that Stacy would move to South Korea permanently, but knew why she stayed in Japan. Stacy had majored in finance and minored in Japanese. Where Luna worked in the department that kept up public relations with host countries, Stacy's department kept up business relationships and she was very good at it. The finance department was full in South Korea, so when Stacy came over, she became Dave's and assistant on paper-therefore Luna's. This amused both Luna and Stacy to no end because Stacy was so very bossy. Lovable, but bossy.

“You and I can go out for a nice dinner before you fly back, but there is no way in hell I'm going to a dance club tonight.”

 

*****

 

“I can't believe I let you bully me in to coming here!” Luna yelled over the music. She tugged compulsively at the hem of the dress Stacy had chosen for her. Luna tried her hardest to convince Stacy they should go home and change before going out, but Stacy saw through that plan. Luna would go home and lock herself in her bedroom if given the chance at escape. So Stacy clamped on to Luna's arm and marched her into a nearby clothing store. Stacy found a cute outfit immediately, but Luna's more generous curves made shopping off the rack a near torturous task. After hemming and hawing and pouting until Stacy threatened her with violence, Luna ungraciously accepted the free-size red and black striped tank dress, short leather jacket and black opaque tights handed to her. She bought some red and black plastic, cheap, chunky jewelry to match, let her hair down and kept on her heels.

“Shut up and drink!” Stacy yelled back. She pushed a shot of soju Luna's way, but Luna gave it to Erin who was sitting next to her. One whiff of the liquor reminded her why she was off of hard alcohol for a while. “Well, if you aren't going to drink, then go dance.”

“I'm good. I'm just enjoying the atmosphere,” The sarcasm in her voice could be heard loud and clear over the booming speakers. “Why are we here, anyway? It's a long way from home.”

“Just trying something new,” Stacy drummed her nails on the table and bobbed her head to the music for a moment. “Why don't you call that man of yours and ask him to join us?”

“Bae's got dance practice until 2, I think. He wouldn't come. And he's not my man.”

“Whatever. That man cares about you and would come running if you called.”

“That may or may not be true, but I'm not testing the theory.”

“Do you want to see him tonight?” Stacy asked after taking another shot.

“I wouldn't mind, but it's okay. He's busy, I'm busy. We'll catch up eventually.”

“You . Go dance!”

After being pushed rudely from the booth, Luna did as she was told and asked Stacy to watch her phone. She danced for 3 songs and found herself, surprisingly, having a good time completely sober. She was on her way back to the table when a not-so sober Stacy ran into her. One moment she was fine, the next she was on her behind clutching her painfully twisted ankle. Her exclamation of pain could be heard by her friends nearby and they helped her to the table.

“I'm so sorry, Lu. I think it's just a sprain. I'll go get the car and take you home.” Stacy proclaimed after a brief examination. Stacy handed Luna her cell phone and pocketed Luna's quickly before running out of the club. She rubbed her hands together gleefully, ducked into the bathroom and put the rest of her plan into action.

 

*****

 

YoungBae was tired, sweaty and sick of doing choreography. All he wanted in the world was a hot shower and sleep. He was resting against the mirrors in the dance studio when he felt his phone start to vibrate in his pocket continuously.

Luna: OMO, I'm so drunk.

Luna: I wish you would come dance with me. ke ke ke

Luna: I miss you, oppa.

Luna: OUCH! I hurt my ankle. Apa-yo T_T Would you come get me? I'm at Club Sass near Hongik University.

YoungBae checked the address and saw she was just down the road. He made lame excuses to the team and ran out of the door before anyone could ask him any questions.

 

*****

 

Luna looked around the club, impatiently waiting for Stacy to come back. The car was only parked a block away, she couldn't understand why it had already taken more than fifteen minutes for her to come back. She was just about to call a cab when the phone in her lap began to vibrate. It wasn't her phone, it was Stacy's phone. What the....

Luna: Come outside.

Assuming there had been an accidental switch, she bade the remaining co-workers goodnight and limped inelegantly out of the club. When she l

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter