Chapter 26

The Sun and The Moon
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Click. . . . Click,click.

Luna frowned. She turned her head in the other direction, hoping the noise would stop so she could fall back to sleep. Click, click, click. “Dong YoungBae, what are you doing?”

“Documenting.” Luna turned her head towards the sound of his voice and opened one eye to look at him. He was kneeling on the bed with a camera pointed at her. She closed the eye back and pulled the sheet over her head.

“Documenting what, ert?”

“Some of my favorite parts of you.” Luna curled into a ball on her knees in hopes of discouraging him,but he kept clicking away. “Dal-ee, I don't have any pictures of you. Just the one from Jeju. Oh, and the one you sent when you threatened me for leaving the seat up.”

“The sun is barely up, babe. This is not the time for a photo shoot. I don't even have make up on.” she argued.

“I know, but you don't need it. You look beautiful in the morning. Have I ever told you that?” YoungBae tried to pry the sheet from her hands, but Luna would not let go. “Cooperate, and I'll buy you ice cream.” he coaxed.

“You're trying to bribe me with ice cream? What am I? A five year old?”

“I sure hope not. Roll onto your side.” Too tired to argue, Luna followed his directions. He took her hair out of the braid and fanned it out on the pillow around her. Click, click. He moved in closer and took a close up shot of her lips. Click. He moved off of the bed, pulled the sheet back up so he could get just the silhouette of her hips. Click, click. He asked her to roll onto her stomach. He lifted her t-shirt in the back so her were showing. He took a picture of the small of her back. Click.

“Now, take your shirt off.” Luna obeyed. He positioned her sitting on the side of the bed with the sheets bunched around her hips. He lay down and aimed at the hollow between her shoulder blades, then zoomed out, as best he could, to see her whole back. “Hold your hair up.” With her arms raised, he could see the graceful lines of her body that had been sculpted by yoga training. Click, click. YoungBae then had her lay back so he could focus on her upper left thigh to take pictures of the mole he discovered overnight. Click.

“Come here.” Luna crawled on the bed towards him and straddled his hips. YoungBae kissed her because he had to. Luna took advantage of his distraction and snatched the camera from his hands.

“My turn.” Luna took his shirt off and had him lay on his side, tattoo showing. Kneeling by the side of the bed, she focused on his belly button. Click, click, click. She took a picture of just his eyes peeking over the pillow. Click, click. She knelt above him, zoomed in on his profile and the morning stubble on jawline. Click. She took one of his hand laying open on the crisp, white sheets, palm up. Click. Straddling him again, she tickled him while snapping continuous pictures of his face. Click, click, click, click.

YoungBae reached up to pull her head down to give her another scorching kiss. And another. And another. Taking the camera from her, he positioned the camera to try to capture the kiss. He rolled them to the side and took pictures of the kiss from above. Click, click. Click. . .

The camera lay forgotten next to them as the intimacy over took them.

 

*****

 

“Okay, okay, okay. This one has been bothering me for months.” Luna and YoungBae were still laying in his bed. Both called off from their respective places of employment. The changes in her were almost immediate. Her smile was more open, and so was . YoungBae had every intention of using this day to exploit her new found desire for transparency.

“Shoot.” she replied from her pillow. She rolled over to face him and started to trace the veins on his forearm.

“Where does the money come from?” She cocked her head in question. “That first day, I helped you organize the closet and I saw a lot of designer labels. Plus your apartment is huge compared to mine. I guess the government pays you well, but...does it pay that well?”

“No, it doesn't pay that well.” she admitted with a smile. “The money is part of last nights story. It's the money that my mom and I were owed from my father.”

“How did you get it?”

“Uncle Clifton turned it over not long after I graduated from Columbia.”

“But how did he get it?”

Rolling on to her back, she braced for another round of confessions. “My father gave him power of attorney when he...went away. It finally dawned on him what a snake he married and signed all of his property and assets over to my uncle to manage.”

“Where is your father now?” He could tell by the way she danced around questions referring to him that she didn't want to answer.

“My father is currently serving a fifteen year prison sentence for corruption.” Luna closed her eyes as a familiar wave of shame washed over her. Logically, she knew that his behavior was no reflection of her and couldn't be used as a basis to judge her by, but. . .it still smarted to admit that her father was incarcerated. It was embarrassing.

“Was he guilty?” he asked gently. Luna scoffed.

“Oh, yeah. Hell, the whole Jamaican government is guilty of corruption on one level or the other. My father was just too arrogant to cover his tracks as well as the rest.

“Uncle Clifton and my mom weren't far off in ages, so they had a closer bond than she had with my other uncles and Aunt Janice. He came to see me in New York and he admitted that what my dad did to her never sat well with him. He was ashamed to have been party to the scheme and apologized.

“See, he was my fathers attorney and my uncle was the presiding judge. My mother never stood a chance against them. When the divorce proceedings were over, my father thought he'd never have to cough up the money anyway so, he didn't care what numbers Uncle Clif put on the paperwork. Uncle Clif used fair number. Then, when he gained control over my dad's money, he endeavored to make it right. He negotiated with the government to have the amount withheld from the asset seizure. They calculated the amount owed and added in some penalties for lateness. . .then he gave it all to me.”

YoungBae had to know. “Was it a lot of money?” Luna gave an embarrassed nod.

“I blew some of it immediately on 5th Avenue, but I've barely made a dent in it. It's sitting in various accounts collecting interest. I hardly look at it.”

“Do you still talk to your uncle?”

“We swap e-mails every few months, just to check in.” Luna yawned and sat up in the bed. “I'm hungry. Would you like breakfast?”

YoungBae agreed, but grabbed her around the waist as she tried to get out of bed. “Don't think I haven't noticed. I've told you that I love you twice now and you haven't responded.”

“That's because the second time you said it, we were busy in the shower. Can't talk with my mouth full, now can I?” She gave him a saucy wink and ran out of the bedroom before he could stop her.

 

*****

 

YoungBae smelled the food cooking and reluctantly ventured from his bed. He heard the music coming from the kitchen as he brushed his teeth. Finishing up, he walked towards the kitchen where Luna was chooming again. She had her iPad propped against the backsplash and was dancing around in a silly and sporadic way.

 

'When I'ma walkin', I strut my stuff

Man, I'm so strung out

I'm high as a kite, I just might

Stop to check you out. . .'

 

Luna was wielding a knife, cutting fruit in her own little world. She had on his t-shirt, a necklace and nothing else. He leaned against the door frame with his arms crossed and observed her unawares. She looked so. . . happy. Joyful, even. YoungBae had grown used to her placid smiles and relatively tranquil behavior, so it threw him off to see her dancing energetically and smiling and looking absolutely radiant for no apparent reason. He had said it before, and meant it, but on this morning, Luna was truly beautiful.

Looking up, she saw him there, smiling at her. She couldn't stop the answering smile that grew on her face. Reaching back, she turned the music down. “Sorry, I tend to forget how much I love that song until I hear it. Makes me miss Angela Chase and Jordan Catalano.”

“Who?”

“Never mind. I just put the pancakes on. Would you set the table, please?”

YoungBae walked towards her slowly, ignoring her request. He back hugged her and nuzzled his face in her neck. “Breakfast can wait,” he informed her in a low and seductive voice.

“I know you're used to the exercise, but you gave me quite the work out last night, sir. I need to replace some cal

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter